John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gouldglen, Feb 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrt2

mrt2 Active Member

Never noticed any crackling on the cd.

2. mrt2

mrt2 Active Member

Both good Coltrane records for people who otherwise don't like Coltrane.

3. Catywampus

Catywampus Forum Resident

No crackle on my copy, but neither of the LPs are flat. I generally don't get nitpicky about this kind of thing, but if ORG is going to push the envelope by charging $60, they better be perfect. I think I'll send mine back for a replacement.

4. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

I did get a replacement LP... better than the first, but I can still hear very faint crackle on the left channel...

I'll just give up (and stop spending money for return shipping), I guess I can live with this level of "extra" noise for this recording... but I'm disappointed with ORG.

The records are not completely flat also... but I usually don't care for that.

The number on the back cover being on a sticker (instead of being printed like on previous numbered Impulse/ORG releases), and the fact that they decided to change the size of the sleeve, can be a little annoying, and it certainly contributes to the overall disappointment.

5. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I really like the version in the John Coltrane, Impulse Albums Volume Two boxset, but the new Analouge Productions SACD should do this title proud.

6. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I'm a relative jazz newbie, at least in terms of Coltrane. I tried this album years ago and didnt get it, and I tried it again today. I love Coltrane's playing on this, but I find Hartman's singing really bland. I cant see why anyone would think Hartman's vocal here on Lush Life could possibly touch Ella Fitzgeralds version on the Ellington Songbook album. And I find that Johnny is technically nice, but I dont even get any of the smoothness someone like Nat King Cole brings, its clear and nice, but leaves me cold.

So if I like Coltrane's playing on this, I guess Ballads is where I should go next? His Village Vanguard left me confused and annoyed, how about any earlier stuff, like the Lush Life album? I like having I guess a standard as my way "in". Eventually I know I need to get to Giant Steps...

7. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Try Crescent.

8. You nailed it, but failed to realize it.

Johnny is not Ella nor NKC nor Sinatra.

But none of them were backed by Coltrane. The only one was Johnny, and this 45rpm version is GREAT! But you do need to have three fingers of Single Malt in you and a 2am timeframe for all to come into focus. (and a few heartbreaks under your belt :) )

I would get either the one sided Classic Clarity 45rpm of Blue Trane(box set) or Rhino 45rpm of Giant Steps, but Lush Life is also a must. Ballads next.

It'll be a fun ride with any of these 45rpm reissues.

:cheers:

9. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Ballads is where you should go next. And then Duke Ellington & John Coltrane. And then, if you're in a more adventurous mood, Coltrane (1962) and Live at Birdland.

My favorite of the earlier ballad-type albums is Standard Coltrane (1958). IMO Lush Life (1958) is nothing special.

You might consider giving The Gentle Side of John Coltrane a shot if you're put off by any of the above.

10. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I agree, this is a beautiful album, and one possible next step from JC and JH.

11. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Thanks for the tips, never heard of Crescent, but I'll add it to my wish list!

12. Musical

Musical New Member

I was about to order the 45rpm version, but Speakers Corner is about half as much. Can anyone comment on the sound quality between the two?

13. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

of the Hartman title? if that, I have the Speakers Corner which sounds really terrific. My money would be on the 45rpm sounding better but the album has what 6 songs...thats going to be a lot of side changes for 6 songs.

the album is about 33 minutes long so the 33rpm sides are rather short as it is.

if it were me, I'd go with the Speakers Corner, which I did buy before a 45rpm version was made available...just cause its a dreamy magical listen and two sides of that 45 are going to have one song...

14. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

You are correct, Guidedbyvoices, you will eventually need to get Giant Steps ... but of Trane's Atlantic albums, that one is the one I put one the least -- there are six others that are fantastic -- and either Coltrane's Sound or Coltrane Jazz would be an excellent place to start.

Also, you mentioned Lush Life ... by all means! But also from the wonderful Prestige stuff, don't miss Soultrane and Traneing In ...

Have fun!

15. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Be sure to check out 'Monk's Mood' in the Thelonious Monk's 'Himself'. It is one of my best favorite renditions from his saxophone.

16. Catywampus

Catywampus Forum Resident

To add to what DJ Wilbur posted above --

The Speakers Corner version is also a different mix of the album. Do a search on this forum for "underdub" and you'll get the whole story. But in a nutshell, there are a couple of tracks where Coltrane played less or not at all, and came back at a later time to add his fills. At this point, more reverb was also added to Hartman's vocals.

Thus, the SC version contains less Coltrane and dryer Hartman vocals. It's also my go-to version of this record: Everything about it sounds warmer and more intimate than the others. (And I've got several, including the 45RPM.)

17. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

Can you suggest somewhere that has a good price on this version online?

18. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Forum Resident

Sorry to bring this ancient thread back from the dead, but I picked up a 1995 MCA/Impulse reissue LP of this album. I didn't realize it was a reissue until I took it home, as the bar code corner was cut, and the LP was wrapped in plastic.

What is the consensus on this album? Was the 1995 Impulse LP analog or digital? Is this the same as the Impulse reissue series that I'm seeing on shelves (the one with the orange circle sticker on front)? I've only played it once (and I'm playing it again now), and it sounds nice.

19. krenzler

krenzler Forum Resident

20. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

A few questions about digital versions:

1. I have the Japanese 32XD CD. How does the MFSL gold CD compare? I've held off on getting the gold disc since it is one of the more expensive older MFSL titles.

2. I also have the original Universal SACD. How does the MFSL gold CD compare?

3. How do the SHM-SACD and original SACD compare? I've asked about the SHM-SACD in other threads and have yet to see a review.

21. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

22. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I have the AP SACD; I really like it.

23. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

A great album, and one that really is for adults only. You have to be a grownup to get this kind of music.

24. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I've owned this album in multiple formats, including the SACD and the original vinyl. Great album.

25. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Right. Forget about that one. I'm behind on the recent Impulse SACDs, as I'm waiting for amazon.com to get them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.