John Cougar Mellencamp - Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wwright, Jun 21, 2018.

1. wwright

wwright Forum Resident Thread Starter

I didn't find an existing thread, so here goes.

John Mellencamp is one of my perennial favorite artists. I have him in the same company as Neil Young and Bruce Springsteen in terms of heartland rock and folk music. Most of his albums have the same wonderful foundation, firmly rooted in the American Midwest. He has also been recognized for his work as a painter (John Mellencamp – ACA Galleries ), and as a champion for justice and human rights.

One guy who truly deserves an appreciation thread.

BrentB, daltieri, Rubberpigg and 16 others like this.
  2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I have far more Cougar in my collection than Bruce or Neil, odd
    Funny I had 79's S/T out for a play earlier. Love 'Do You Think That's Fair'

DavidD, Dave112, shaboo and 4 others like this.
  3. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

He definitely has proven himself over time to be a very talented songwriter and performer. He’s kind of the midwestern Springsteen.

His paintings aren’t half bad either.

4. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

He just had hit after hit from like 1982-1996. After that he lost me.

5. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

I'd have to say my favorite song by John Cougar Mellencamp is "Rain On The Scarecrow". I really like the hook; the drone bass note {F#m} over the dual alternating guitar notes. The lyrics are well written and delivered with a good amount of passion. Plus, Kenny Aronoff's hard/punchy feel on drums works very well on this track.

6. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

personally i think that from american fool to at least big daddy he was quite brilliant.
    scarecrow and lonesome jubilee are classics

7. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Not a fan of his 80s catalog, mostly due to the production. Love "Life, Death, Love and Freedom," which is my fave album of last ten years. The song "Rural Route" on previous album is lyrically stunning... his "Plain Spoken" album gets lots of spins as well.

8. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

There's a black man with a black cat
    Living in a black neighborhood
    He's got an interstate running' through his front yard
    You know, he thinks he's got it so good

Sean, wrappedinsky, Jonny W and 3 others like this.
  9. Baldmann

Baldmann Forum Resident

I agree. There is a box set available containing those very albums.

10. Purplerocks

Purplerocks Forum Resident

Being in Indiana, I couldn’t help but hear plenty of Mellencamp, but I really very much liked the stylistic change made with “The Lonesome Jubilee” adding Lisa Germano on violin and John Casella (RIP) on accordian (it worked!) keys, etc into that incredible band. Mr Kenny Aronoff, Larry Crane, Toby Myers; are you kidding me? A great band. “Human Wheels” is another personal fav.
    Good stuff

Sean, conjotter, TaumpyTears and 12 others like this.
  11. Purplerocks

Purplerocks Forum Resident

btw, Kenny Aronoff has a very cool book out in which he details lots of the classic stuff from this time period. Not to sidetrack the thread but that dude lead a charmed life.

Sean, benzo, Rockford & Roll and 5 others like this.
  12. tensummoner

tensummoner wish i had a nickle.. thats it just wish i had 1

JCM... don't have to be a hoosier to be a fan of his. but I bet most of us are. Fort wayne born right here.

Sean, timind and wwright like this.
  13. tensummoner

tensummoner wish i had a nickle.. thats it just wish i had 1

as far as the Bruce or Neil comparisons.... hmm well I know jersey folk are die hard Bruce or they feud online with Bon Jovi or Billy Joel fans. I have far more Billy Joel than Bruce or Bon Jovi so there ya go on that fight.

the beauty of John Cougar Mellencamp is this... someone will start singing Jack and Diane or lil Pink Houses and before you know it you have a dozen or so joined in. that's why JCM deserved this thread of appreciation... American Fool ,Uh huh and Scarecrow in that order... timepeaces! I have even used lil pink houses in a lecture because of its undertoned political documentations about America. could use it any day of the week today and it would still be relevant.

skisdlimit, Sean, Jonny W and 6 others like this.
  14. wwright

wwright Forum Resident Thread Starter

Agreed on both points. He weaves insightful commentary into much of his work.

15. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz

Back in the 80s that always used to bother me when people would compare him to Springsteen and hint that he was a Springsteen wannabe. I have always found John Mellencamp much more interesting than Bruce Springsteen could ever dream of being. One of the greatest in my opinion.

Taxman, BrentB, daltieri and 14 others like this.
  16. featheredfiend

featheredfiend Forum Resident

The guy is phenomenal. His run beginning with American Fool through Whenever We Wanted is on par with almost any artist you can name (IMHO).

And his new "live" album Plain Spoken from the Chicago Theatre is outstanding!!!

The man is an American treasure!!!

Sean, DavidD, TaumpyTears and 8 others like this.
  17. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Think his run started with his debut and the single
    'I Need A Lover', second album spawned the great (imo)
    'Ain't Even Done With The Night'

Tedw9, Fullbug, Comet01 and 12 others like this.
  18. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

His best album in my opinion. I love every song.

Sean, DavidD, wwright and 1 other person like this.
  19. Huntigula

Huntigula Idiot Savant

Mellencamp was the first concert I saw in 1988 (at three years old).

On cassette, I have everything from self-titled to Human Wheels.

On vinyl, everything from self-titled to Big Daddy.

On CD, everything up to Cuttin' Heads, then No Better Than This.

Lonesome Jubilee is my #3 favorite album of all time.

One of the last great American singer-songwriters.

Without getting political and getting the thread shut down, I love what he had to say in the 80's and early 90's. Helped mold me into who I am today. Forever grateful for John and his music.

20. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Has anyone got a link to the mash-up of the original “I Need A Lover” and Pat Benatar’s version that was released to radio once her version came out? Love that song by both of them!

Sean and wwright like this.
  21. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

The Sound of Vinyl has a massive sale atm and I just picked up a new copy of the remastered Lonesome Jubilee for £6. I think they’re selling all his remasters for the same/similar price.

Sean, sandmountainslim1 and wwright like this.
  22. Huntigula

Huntigula Idiot Savant

I'd also like to give a shoutout to a few of his earlier tunes. A Little Night Dancin', Small Paradise, Tonight, Cheap Shot, Thundering Hearts and Close Enough are just a few of the good ones that never got any love. If "I Need a Lover" hadn't been a minor hit, the average fan would think his first album was American Fool.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  23. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

If you look at the b sides and oddball tracks between the Lonesome Jubilee and Big Daddy, you can almost build a whole cd (half covers) around them.

24. Vince Gill

Vince Gill Forum Resident

I've had The Lonesome Jubilee on my mind for the past few months and picked up a copy yesterday. Forgot how much I loved that album when I was younger. Such a statement...

25. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

I have about 6 or 7 of his releases. I know the song Human Wheels was a collaboration with George Green but I always think of my fathers passing when I hear it so Mellencamp holds a special place in me. Great writer & performer.

Bananas&blow, Sean, texron and 3 others like this.