John Denver Rocky Mountain High, Night Fever vinyl reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mjbruckmd, Sep 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjbruckmd

mjbruckmd New Member Thread Starter

Anyone listen to this on LP?? Claims on music direct to be source from "original tapes". Outside of the big RCA JD box set, I've never found a great vinyl version of this... trying to decide if this is really a step up from the original vinyl or just another attempt to flash things up with colored/splatter vinyl???

2. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I have a nice thrift copy but don't think I have ever listened to it.This may prompt me too.

3. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

I bought it, and I like the sound of it. Better than the original RCA LP (orange label) that I have, which I bought sealed a few years ago, but I know that's not saying much.
    This new one isn't audiophile, but I think it's the best vinyl release to date.

McLover and DPC like this.
  4. Clark V Kauffman

Here's what my copy looks like.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. DPC

DPC Forum Resident

Same thoughts here...mine was sealed (with the gatefold internal slot and Dave Grohl in the lineup) that sounds OK. New one is an improvement...though it seems that a couple songs are inherently thin sounding vs. the rest on both issues. Title track and the Season Suite "Mexico" instrumental sound real good to me, in particular.

Would like to hear some thoughts on PP&P, as my current copy could use replenishment, but not that into the album
    I'm looking fwd to the Back Home Again reissue, and I will pick that up later this month (I guess).

6. Clark V Kauffman

Just thought I'd mention that the three colored-vinyl LPs from Night Fever Music (Rocky Mountain High, pictured above in this thread, and Poems, Prayers and Promises, and Back Home Again) are all on sale at Night Fever Music for just $20 each -- a substantial discount from the usual $32. These are good-sounding records -- better than the original RCA pressings, anyway.

Night Fever Music

Also, Import CDs is now selling Friday Music's 180-gram vinyl version of John Denver's Greatest Hits Volume 2 -- which arguably has a stronger track list than the first volume -- for just $13 with free shipping, but you have to go to their ebay store (or just search on ebay) to get that deal. This disc normally sells for $35.

Pictured below is the orange-marble version of Poems, Prayers and Promises from Night Fever Music.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cassius likes this.
  7. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Amazing these albums have never gotten an audiophile reissue. I can only imagine what a Rocky Mountain High MoFi 45rpm reissue cut from analog tapes could be. Maybe not for evrryone, but I'd be in for a copy at pre order.

8. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I love this album but the vinyl seems a touch gaudy for a John Denver album. If they must do coloured vinyl a subtle dark green would have been nice.

WMTC likes this.
  9. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I just got the Night Fever reissue of Back Home Again. It sounds pretty darn good.

I compared it with a first RCA pressing, Dynaflex and all, and the two records were sonically almost identical. It really was amazing how close their tonal balances were. The RCA might have had a touch more air, but I'm keeping the Night Fever copy because the vinyl is so much quieter. There was a little noise for the maybe the first twenty seconds on both sides of the remaster, and an occasional snap after that, but my RCA copy is a popcorn popping party.

The reissue's jacket is only sorta OK. While still a gatefold, and the artwork is sharp, the sleeve isn't embossed, nor with a leathery, craft paper feel, like the original. The inner sleeve is now cardboard, when on my vintage copy it's just plain paper. I'll give the new packaging a passing grade but nothing more.

Whether it's worth $20, or actually $23.99 with shipping, is up to you. Don't tell any of my cultured friends, the ones who, oh, I don't know, read books, but I own nineteen John Denver titles, plus the inevitable double LP tribute title, The Music Is You, featuring JD covers by everyone from My Morning Jacket to Mary Chapin Carpenter. Why Todd Snider wasn't tapped to sing "(You Dun Stomped On) My Heart," I'll never know.

I'm going to get the Night Fever reissues of Rocky Mountain High and Poems, Prayers & Promises. My old copy of Rocky Mountain High especially sucks.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    Clark V Kauffman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.