John hughes movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Grahamstuartcanada, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Grahamstuartcanada

Grahamstuartcanada We play two kinds of music “new” and “wave” Thread Starter

So I am watching 30 minutes if Ferris Bueller and was blown away by what I remember the first time- his bedroom was the coolest any kid could imagine. Back in the day it was the amazing record store exclusive over sized posters that drew me in. All were cutting edge that screamed super cool.
    But as I watched it tonight it was the Gretsch white falcon and the emulator that blew me away.
    Are there movies by any other director that you can think of that seemed to love music and made a conscious effort to share that quite like the late great John Hughes?

AndrewK, Matt Bowers and 905 like this.
  2. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

Edgar Wright (Baby Driver)
    Wes Anderson (Rushmore, Royal Tenenbaums)
    Quentin Tarantino (Pulp Fiction, etc)

3. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

I liked the women Hughes picked. Molly Ringwald, Mia Sara, Kristy Swanson, Liz McGovern, etc. Very dreamy without implication of easy.

skisdlimit and Eric_Generic like this.
  4. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

Martin Scorcese - one of the best directors for use of music. Worked on "Woodstock", "Elvis On Tour" as well as his own films "The Last Waltz", the George Harrison doc and the two Bob Dylan docs.

Regginold31 likes this.
  5. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Danny Boyle...

6. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Cameron Crowe comes to mind.

Singles, Fast Times, etc...

Matt Bowers likes this.
  7. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

As great as those John Hughes films can be, I think some of what you're admiring is part of an 80's bedroom aesthetic.
    I have been watching old episodes of Facts of Life and Growing Pains (don't ask) and I always love the interior room shots,
    really cool posters plastered all over the place. I think I've recently seen Madonna, Talking Heads, Culture Club, Cyndi Lauper, and
    Duran Duran artefacts in the various bedrooms. They just jump off the walls at you.

8. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Over The Edge (1979)

Music from these artists/bands, verbal reference to Gene Simmons of KISS. Posters/t-shirts from bands of the time.

Cheap Trick
    The Cars
    Van Halen
    The Ramones
    Jimi Hendrix
    Valerie Carter
    Little Feat

Along with the movie SDTK and the Live At Budokan album, this movie/music really pushed Cheap Trick's popularity/fanbase that was just starting to grow prior to this movie. Cheap Trick were on top of the world now.

9. CDV

CDV Forum Resident

The Big Chill. Not sure whether the tracks were chosen by Lawrence Kasdan or by a music editor. There are not one, but two soundtrack albums for this movie. although the second album has four songs that are not in the movie :)

10. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Hughes was a huge music fan with a big album collection. He chose all the songs used in his movies and I think at one point started his own record company to do the soundtracks or other albums.

You can spin the picture around with your mouse:

Eric_Generic and Karnak like this.
  11. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Well, Kevin Smith can talk for hours and hours about John Hughs!

Matt Bowers likes this.
  12. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

From Wikipedia:

"Along with Easy Rider (1969), American Graffiti was one of the first films to eschew a traditional film score and successfully rely instead on synchronizing a series of popular hit songs with individual scenes."

"Drawing upon his large collection of vintage records, Lucas wrote each scene with a particular song in mind as its musical backdrop. The cost of licensing the 75 songs Lucas wanted was one factor in United Artists' ultimate decision to reject the script; the studio also felt it was too experimental—"a musical montage with no characters"."

They say RCA was one of the only companies to reject what Universal was offering to pay for music rights and therefore no Elvis songs are heard in the movie.

"Clearing the music licensing rights had cost approximately $90,000, and as a result, no money was left for a traditional film score. "I used the absence of music, and sound effects, to create the drama," Lucas later explained.

"A soundtrack album for the film, 41 Original Hits from the Soundtrack of American Graffiti, was issued by MCA Records. The album contains all the songs used in the film (with the exception of "Gee" by the Crows, which was subsequently included on a second soundtrack album), presented in the order in which they appeared in the film."

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    artfromtex likes this.
  13. Achn2b

Achn2b Forum Resident

Bought the dvd set of Square Pegs a few years ago, and while I was watching it, I noticed a poster of King Crimson from when their second album Beat came out, that I had the very same poster I scored from my local record store. Band head and shoulders shot of Belew, Fripp, Bruford and Levin.

Regginold31 and Elliottmarx like this.
  14. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Now, that's a cool band to have on a TV character's wall.
    Love The Waitresses theme song to that show too.

Regginold31 likes this.
  15. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

Was Cabaret Voltaire's "Microphonies" even released in the U.S.? I bought my copy when I was in Germany and I was shocked to see the poster in the movie.

16. Is this one streaming? I haven't seen it since it was at the theater.

17. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Not that I know of since my Brother is the one who handles most of the TV activities. He did buy it on Amazon Prime for about $10. I have the VHS of the movie too. Why the SDTK has never been reissued on CD is kind of weird.

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

[​IMG]

Hey We get to hear Laugh, Laugh by the Beau Brummels!

primejive likes this.
  19. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Oh god, John Hughes films changed my life.

Not always in a good way, but they did nonetheless.

I've recently got Pretty In Pink on Blu-Ray!

EG.

Karnak likes this.
  20. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Hal Ashby directed "Coming Home" and Francis Ford Coppala did "Apocalypse Now"........A couple fantastic impacting late 70's films greatly enhanced by the music in them.

21. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

Despite the entertainment factor, they seem a bit calculated.

22. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

did nobody like Curly Sue, was it really that bad? I used to love it, the part where they all start punching each other is still pretty funny. But I guess movie didn't connect with the audience

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
    905 likes this.
  23. LouChang

LouChang her brother (but nobody's bro)

Vincent Gallo

Regginold31 likes this.
  24. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

forgotten holiday classic :)

Dutch (1991)

25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

John does make some enjoyable movies! time for Uncle Buck! THE BEST! love Candy in this...