John Lennon Imagine 2018 Boxed Set (Content and Sound Quality Issues Only!)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lennonology, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

So you guys really like the 5.1 mix of the album? I dunno, nothing really coming out of those back speakers...

Len-ski likes this.
  2. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

It’s really just a super wide immersive soundstage. Although Yoko does circle around the room... I think it’s the 24 /96 along with the remix and surround in conjunction that just sound so deep.

3. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Ron McMaster

SoundDoctor likes this.
  4. Mssisem

Mssisem Forum Resident

Thank you

5. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Anyone know where I could find this particular video?

I figured the video would be on the Blu-ray's on this box but it's not, just the audio.

6. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

You're either not confused or we both are. I found that same issue as well; just 2.0 96/24 LPCM for those tracks. I would think it's an error on the disc since they have multi-channel for everything else (aside from the Evolution doc + interview). It's unfortunate.

Has anyone else found this or are we the only 2 people with BD players or software that isn't reading a 5.1 mix for disc 1 outtakes?

Captain Rogers and ceddy10165 like this.
  7. Roland S.

Roland S. Forum Resident

Black or clear vinyl?

8. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Black

9. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

Have you ripped the Blu-ray? I'd like to know if they have used the same mastering for the hi-res stereo remix...

hodgo likes this.
  10. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Thanks for posting!

From those two discs it looks as though the main masters are dynamically compressed but that the outtakes discs are less so, I wonder if it's any different on the BluRay?

11. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Bluray is on the ripping agenda this weekend, mainly for the extra tracks.

hodgo and albertop like this.
  12. Choba b CCCP

Choba b CCCP Forum Resident

I personally don't like 2018 stereo remix that much. "How?" and "Oh Yoko!" don't sound as remixes at all. Compare them with the original ones and you'll plainly see they are nothing more than compressed & lifted up in volume 1971 stereo mixes! That's scandalous, folks.

And by the way what's happened to the original master tape for "Gimme Some Truth"? 1999 remix sounded way clearer!

Shaddam IV and Gila like this.
  13. hodgo

I'm witholding judgement until if and when my set does finally arrive from Amazon UK :shake: That said, from what folks are saying the new mix, if not the same, is very similar to the original mix. I myself prefer the 200o remix to the original so if the new mix is not much different from the original then that probably won't change. This is not a big issue for me personally as the main reason for buying the box is the outtakes and alternates.

forthlin, IronWaffle and yardbuzzard like this.
  14. MountNeverEst

MountNeverEst Active Member

Same here: only stereo on bluray disc 1 outtakes.

15. ~dave~~wave~

~dave~~wave~ Forum Resident

Same for me, confirmed in this review:
    (Fourth paragraph from bottom. Thanks to LennonCobain @ quadrophonicquad)

John Lennon's Imagine - The Ultimate Collection Reviewed (Part 2 -- Surround Sound Mixes on High Resolution Blu-ray Disc)

This also seems to be a spot in the collection where I found perhaps a little typo on the packaging which may be a bit confusing.
    On Blu-ray Disc One (subtitled "Imagine, The Ultimate Mixes"), you will find outtakes but they seem to be only in Stereo there despite the packaging touting that they are available in 5.1.
    Fear not, as they mostly ARE available in Surround Sound but located on Disc Two (which is subtitled "In The Studio And Deeper Listening")!
    There you'll find many of the same takes found in high resolution Stereo on the first disc in 96/24 fidelity, 5.1 Surround Sound as well as some tasty alternates!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  16. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

I noticed the imaginejohnyoko.com page designates those as only stereo as well. Mystery solved.

17. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I just listened to the Evolutions disc on streaming. In some ways it's disappointing compared with the documentaries on the King Crimson boxed sets, which have more musical content and almost a musique concrète appeal to them; these, by contrast, are overwhelmingly studio chatter. On the other hand, if you want the impression of “being there” then they do a very good job of that and they're edited into such short sequences that they don't get boring.

18. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

He mastered the vinyl or just cut the lacquers?

19. Choba b CCCP

The only new 2018 stereo remix I like is for IT'S SO HARD: the balance is just perfect! The sax intro doesn't sound as if it's been played by a friend next to you.

New JEALOUS GUY stereo mix is delicate, BUT what's happening to the snare drum on 3:51 and why is this change of ambience SO obvious???

Don't like the vocal and GH dobro so close and loud in CRIPPLED INSIDE. The best version is 1999 stereo remix, IMO.

The new HOW DO YOU SLEEP? is good: wider stereo and much more low frequencies than on 1999 remix, which makes this song suitably harder.

GIMME SOME TRUTH is just awful. I don't know if they have lost the master tape from which that wonderful 1999 remix was done.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  20. slane

slane Forum Resident

They haven't lost the master tapes, the new mix just more closely resembles the original muddy mix.

21. Choba b CCCP

Well, that's bad.

22. crossroads69

Just ripped CD3...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: John Lennon / Imagine (2018 Raw Studio Mixes)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR7 -0.18 dB -9.44 dB 3:12 01-Imagine (take 10) (Raw Studio Mix)
    DR7 0.00 dB -8.63 dB 3:50 02-Crippled Inside (take 6) (Raw Studio Mix)
    DR7 -0.21 dB -9.91 dB 4:22 03-Jealous Guy (take 29) (Raw Studio Mix)
    DR7 -0.14 dB -8.69 dB 2:42 04-It's So Hard (take 11) (Raw Studio Mix)
    DR8 0.00 dB -8.71 dB 7:56 05-I Don't Wanna Be A Soldier Mama I Don't Wanna Die (take 4 - extended) (Raw Studio Mix)
    DR6 0.00 dB -7.52 dB 3:40 06-Gimme Some Truth (take 4 - extended) (Raw Studio Mix)
    DR10 -0.29 dB -12.56 dB 2:48 07-Oh My Love (take 20) (Raw Studio Mix)
    DR8 -0.01 dB -9.00 dB 6:00 08-How Do You Sleep? (take 11 - extended) (Raw Studio Mix)
    DR9 -0.29 dB -12.41 dB 3:55 09-How? (take 40) (Raw Studio Mix)
    DR8 -0.11 dB -9.45 dB 6:16 10-Oh Yoko! (take 1 - extended) (Raw Studio Mix)
    DR9 -0.25 dB -11.35 dB 3:25 11-Imagine (take 1) (Raw Studio Mix)
    DR7 -0.17 dB -10.24 dB 4:27 12-Jealous Guy (take 11) (Raw Studio Mix)
    DR10 0.00 dB -11.83 dB 5:17 13-I Don't Wanna Be A Soldier Mama I Don't Wanna Die (take 21) (Raw Studio Mix)
    DR8 -0.12 dB -10.28 dB 8:41 14-How Do You Sleep? (take 1) (Raw Studio Mix)
    DR8 -0.06 dB -9.63 dB 7:02 15-How Do You Sleep? (takes 5 & 6) (Raw Studio Mix)

Number of tracks: 15
    Official DR value: DR8

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 16
    Bitrate: 888 kbps
    Codec: ALAC

23. crossroads69

And CD4...

Analyzed: John Lennon / Imagine (Evolution Documentary)

DR14 -0.53 dB -18.63 dB 6:51 01-Imagine (Evolution)
    DR12 -0.30 dB -17.02 dB 3:59 02-Crippled Inside (Evolution)
    DR16 -0.22 dB -21.28 dB 6:15 03-Jealous Guy (Evolution)
    DR14 -0.30 dB -18.22 dB 6:50 04-It's So Hard (Evolution)
    DR11 -0.19 dB -15.91 dB 7:06 05-I Don't Wanna Be A Soldier Mama I Don't Wanna Die (Evolution)
    DR13 -0.32 dB -17.54 dB 5:12 06-Gimme Some Truth (Evolution)
    DR14 -0.30 dB -18.76 dB 7:31 07-Oh My Love (Evolution)
    DR12 -0.30 dB -16.88 dB 7:34 08-How Do You Sleep? (Evolution)
    DR15 -0.31 dB -20.65 dB 8:45 09-How? (Evolution)
    DR11 -0.32 dB -15.24 dB 3:56 10-Oh Yoko! (Evolution)

Number of tracks: 10
    Official DR value: DR13

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Bits per sample: 16
    Bitrate: 505 kbps

24. hodgo

Thanks for posting all these DR values, have you considered putting them up on the DR Database?

albertop likes this.
  25. crossroads69

Here are DR Values for the 2018 Album Remix from Bluray 1 & I think they are identical to the CD.

Analyzed: John Lennon / Imagine (2018 Mix) - 24.96

DR8 -0.17 dB -10.01 dB 3:08 01-Imagine
    DR9 -0.20 dB -10.64 dB 3:51 02-Crippled Inside
    DR8 -0.10 dB -10.33 dB 4:14 03-Jealous Guy
    DR10 -0.20 dB -11.00 dB 2:30 04-Its So Hard
    DR8 -0.26 dB -9.01 dB 6:08 05-I Dont Wanna Be A Soldier
    DR8 -0.20 dB -9.32 dB 3:19 06-Gimme Some Truth
    DR9 -0.30 dB -11.64 dB 2:47 07-Oh My Love
    DR7 -0.10 dB -9.04 dB 5:40 08-How Do You Sleep
    DR8 -0.10 dB -10.80 dB 3:45 09-How
    DR7 -0.20 dB -8.72 dB 4:16 10-Oh Yoko

Number of tracks: 10
    Official DR value: DR8

Samplerate: 96000 Hz
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 2792 kbps
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I still don't understand why they have to limit the DR on hi-res mixes on the Bluray discs, seems just silly.......