John Lennon Imagine 2018 Boxed Set (Content and Sound Quality Issues Only!)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lennonology, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Yeah, Thanks for the video. I looked for it under the title "Well" last night in iTunes and couldn't find it. May have to find it on some CD comp and get it that way.

2. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

I don't have 5.1, but I ripped the album and singles to 24/96 and the songs sound amazing on my Pono in balanced mode. It really feels like a new album, everything is so crystal clear, but it has life too. There is a bit more bass than on the older versions, but I don't mind. Listening to "Imagine" and "Jealous Guy" sent shivers down my spine, really got to me. And I forgot how fun a song "Oh Yoko!" really is. Really am enjoying that song. "Power To The People" is probably the best sounding song I've heard so far, I've never heard it have so much life to it, nothing sounds muddy to me, clear, lots of punch and you hear everything.

I'm not good a reviewing sound, but just wanted to share what I heard. Now it is time to start tagging all the outtakes.

3. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

I’m convinced it’s mixing choices. The new remix definitely tried to retain the original mix’s timbre. Which is okay— it’s nice to have 3 choices of this album!

IronWaffle and slane like this.
  4. Harry Hotspur

Harry Hotspur Forum Resident

Got double album and really enjoy alt versions of three songs not keen on in released versions, Happy Xmas, Power To People and I Don't Wanna Be A Soldier.

Bern likes this.
  5. guy1

guy1 Forum Resident

I have the clear vinyl version & there is a bit of noise on some tracks. Its a shame this seems to have been pressed with poor quality control. It's not horrendous but annoying. Oh and I cleaned it & its no different.

6. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I actually despise "Power to the People", but the alt version is quite enjoyable. I guess it was always the Spectorized, bombastic production that I despised.

Rfreeman likes this.
  7. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

No, you were right all along. The song is simply not worthy of Lennon. In my opinion.

Buda, Shaddam IV and formu_la like this.
  8. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Well...to be honest, a number of them are not worthy of Lennon, and the material really hasn't aged well. I mean..."I Don't Wanna be a Soldier" has no redeeming quality. I was watching a movie he rehearsal video of "How Do You Sleep" and couldn't help but think how lifeless, and uninspired it was. It's no wonder Klaus looks so bored.

Fivebyfive, mozz, Shaddam IV and 2 others like this.
  9. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Same with me, except I have the standard version.

10. Choba b CCCP

Choba b CCCP Forum Resident

Agreed. 2018 stereo remix might be a slight improvement over the original 1971 stereo mix, but 1999 stereo remix is a winner. Just check out "Gimme Some Truth" and you'll hear the dramatic difference. How in the world would anyone want to return to the muddy obscured noisy sound after 1999 triumph?

Bern, Shaddam IV, hodgo and 1 other person like this.
  11. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Because the original sounds more organic.

yardbuzzard, Onder, albertop and 2 others like this.
  12. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Agreed, and I usually don’t prefer those muddy original mixes. But like the latest Music From Big Pink, the 1999 mix is definitely more sterile. Not bad just different— if I want clarity and critical listening, the MFSL is preferred. Which I personally prefer more often.

But now with the new mix, we can get the best of both worlds (kind of): clarity of the MFSL with organic, sludginess of the original.

Edit: Tommyboy, do you prefer the new mix over the original? Does it make the original obsolete for you?

Tommyboy and albertop like this.
  13. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Anyone have any problems with the CDs? On CD 2, the last song (Happy Xmas) skips in spots, no physical blemishes.

14. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

No, I still listen to the original. I do prefer the new mix, as you astutely mentioned that it’s the best of both worlds. I feel the MoFi is a bit on the clinical side for me.

Blue Cactus, MaestroDavros and Onder like this.
  15. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Great name for his profession

16. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I must admit the original mix of Gimmie Some Truth is a hot mess.

17. Harry Hotspur

Harry Hotspur Forum Resident

Danny from the Putrid Family (as MAD magazine would have it). That's funny. Mind you, life on the set of that show was pretty wild by all accounts. Of course, MAD magazine had David/Keith singing 'I Think I Love Me'.

18. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I Don’t Wanna Be A Solder (Take 11) sounds more POB than Imagine! Good stuff :)

19. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Speak for yourself. The latter, especially, is a top tier song and that version is splendid.

20. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Yes, I really like these. I had great fun looking at them while listening yesterday.
    Nicky Hopkins electric piano left channel... wait for it... yes, there it is.
    John harmonica bounced all over ... oh, very effective.
    A very welcome addition.

21. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Was I the only one who thought it extremely tactless and unnecessarily cruel to use video from the session as a pre-release sampler?

Shaddam IV and Rob Hughes like this.
  22. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003 Thread Starter

I've not yet been able to enjoy the 5.1 mixes. Has anyone checked to see if the stereo "Ultimate Mixes" on Disc One are simply folded down versions of their 5.1 counterparts on Disc Five - or are they unique stereo mixes?

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

Lewisboogie likes this.
  23. beatlesaint

beatlesaint Forum Resident

Never been too fond of I Don’t Wanna Be A Soldier but the 5.1 Raw Studio Mix is wonderful, Klaus is really cooking on bass right behind me :D

24. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Good last name for the job!

Tommyboy likes this.
  25. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

The story was that John always wanted to process his voice and layer it with production tricks because he didn't like the plain recorded sound of it. I don't like mine either. :laugh: Phil Spector indulged his fantasies too much, more than George Martin. Now, since John's demise we've had Yoko and other people try to bring it out more and strip the reverb some, and put out raw mixes, paring back the backing instrumentation some, etc. First with the Double Fantasy album, and now with Imagine. Very enjoyable and tasteful, and I applaud them for their efforts. I enjoy John's voice just as it is naturally, too. I notice that the sound of the bass playing is more powerful and articulate, too, on this set, but not overly heavy. Good old Klaus. Love it.

hodgo and dormouse like this.