Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

John Lennon leaving Beatles theory - Maybe it was George not Paul ...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Il Zio, Jul 19, 2021.

1. Il Zio

Il Zio Forum Resident Thread Starter

Bill Maher has a provocative theory that John blew up the Beatles because he realized he could no longer compete with Paul in terms of musical productivity. (No doubt there were other reasons too. John had his demons and apparently was an acid and dismissive person.)

But John had an equally fraught relationship with George and could no doubt see him moving up from the rear. In 1969, “Something” became Harrison’s first Beatle A-side. The sheer volume of what George was about to unleash (ATMP) may have caused John to wonder about his standing in the group.

Just “something” I’ve been wondering about. Thoughts?

2. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Although it ended up as a double A-side. At least in the USA. Not sure if intended.

3. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Don’t care for Bill Maher… But apparently Bill Maher doesn’t know the Beatles

RobCos02330, RickH, Jimmy B. and 16 others like this.
  4. tootull

tootull Cats are on the upgrade

What is the Greatest Beatles Solo Album?
    [​IMG]
    What the public didn’t know was that the group had technically ended a year earlier, when Lennon had informed Ringo Starr, Paul McCartney and manager Alan Klein that he wanted a “divorce” from the band amid mounting tensions.

5. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

I still can't believe even after all these years and all this time that conspiracy theories continue to abound about the Beatles and everything/anything that concerns them.

They were four guys that were very, very close.
    That shared a similar vision on how to achieve something, and it was FUN, at the same time.
    That grew further and further apart from each other after 10-15 years together and their own goals and self defined achievements had ALL been attained.
    To me it is just that simple! No conspiracy theory needed.

6. Mr.Sean

Mr.Sean Senior Member

So, the price for releasing the girl was Paul quitting the Beatles? Very noble of him.

7. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Both John and George weren’t having fun anymore- I don’t think John really cared about the charts anymore. His plastic ono band album kind of shows what he was more interested in doing

8. Theristocrat

Theristocrat Well-Known Member

Please remember, for all of George's stockpiled songs, John had just as many, with new songs still forthcoming. Also, in my most humble opinion, John recorded the best solo album of them all not long after the split-up. So, the "provocative theory" may just be that - more nonsense to fill everyone's heads. And Bill Maher is a master of nonsense & gaslighting, disguised as "free thinking" & "opposition"...

9. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Between being in the Beatle bubble, and some addiction issues, I think who was writing what was the least of the issues

10. Plano

Plano If you like moderation you’ll love excess

Perhaps, but many people who were close to John (including Yoko) have said he was bothered by the fact that Paul wrote most of their big hits.

11. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Well said. The end.

Vic_1957, abcabc1 and Saint Johnny like this.
  12. Who...the Walrus???

joy stinson likes this.
  13. helter

helter Forum Resident

No

The Klein/Eastman divide destroyed the Beatles
    They would have carried on longer if not for ……

14. Maybe it bothered him, maybe it didn't.
    Lennon knew from the get-go that McCartney had talent to spare and was fortunate and smart enough to rope him into his group without delay soon to abandon all the others there.
    Lennon may have been the more driving force in the early years but that all evened out as God and nature planned.

15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

True. Not exactly a Kodak moment for the Beatles.

16. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

In 1969, the Beatles released three singles containing three Lennon tracks (2 A sides, one B side), two Harrison tracks (one A side, one B side) and one McCartney track (“Get Back”).

But maybe Maher is right. Maybe Lennon thought that McCartney was writing all the popular songs. Ironically, 52 years later, “Come Together” is the second most popular Beatles song on Spotify (second only to “Here Comes the Sun” in number of streams), followed by “Let it Be” and “Imagine”. And “Don’t Let Me Down” has the most YouTube views of any Beatles video!

John Lennon 1969:

Songs:

Don’t Let Me Down
    Dig a Pony
    Across the Universe
    I’ve Got a Feeling
    The Ballad of John and Yoko
    Give Peace a Chance
    Come Together
    I Want You (She’s so Heavy)
    Because
    Sun King
    Mean Mr. Mustard
    Polythene Pam
    Cold Turkey

Albums

Let it Be
    Abbey Road
    Live Peace in Toronto
    Unfinished Music 2 (Life with the Lions)
    Wedding Album

singles

Get Back/Don’t Let Me Down (B-side)
    The Ballad of John & Yoko/ Old Brown Shoe (A-side)
    Come Together/Something (double A-side)

Give Peace a Chance
    Cold Turkey

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  17. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Pluto─Sept. 31st

I've said this before in other discussions about the Beatles breakup, and it is obviously a combination of various causes as the OP suggests, but the main cause imo is that John broke up the band due to no other more-causative factor than simply not having room in his life for both Yoko AND the Beatles.

When I consider every piece of inescapable evidence, all the other reasons─including John's drug addiction─don't hold any water as predominant causes for why John should decide to break up the Beatles.

18. Perhaps so but there are other plausible explanations which are no more "conspiracy theories" than yours.

My theory is that the surviving Beatles tired of living a lie after Paul's death in 1966 and none of them could get along with Faul anyhow.

Jimbo62, applejam101, Sluggy and 4 others like this.
  19. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Forum Resident

"Cold Turkey" too. Wasn't that released when he was still technically a Beatle?

20. Saint Johnny

Brian was the glue. Once he was gone, the end of the collective, was entirely predictably, inevitable, especially now with hindsight.
    The continuing dramas of 1968-1969 were all irrelevant. The end was far too predictable to see for all who actually cared to see it.

Rehashing and looking for clues from 50 years ago says far more about the people that can not let it go, than it ever illuminates anything new about the Fabs themselves.

To borrow from history some.
    Empires/dynasties do NOT fall from one or two random events. The random catastrophic event/events are just the catalyst for the final act.

21. Two of Diamonds

Two of Diamonds Active Member

I don’t even believe in “Paul is Dead” and I like this explanation better than Bill Maher’s. It’s certainly more interesting.

I accept the Eastman split theory.

Maher is also a guy who needs controversy for attention, so I wouldn’t take it too seriously. Fun to think about I suppose.

petem1966 and dumangl like this.
  22. pdenny

pdenny 19-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Pure baloney. Everyone knows John ran out of songs after Imagine :nyah:

23. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Yes and he wanted the Beatles to record it and they weren’t interested…

Chrome_Head and Saint Johnny like this.
  24. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

B
    Brian definitely kept them together while he was alive…

kt66brooklyn and Saint Johnny like this.
  25. Saint Johnny

And another thing!
    George HATED being "A Beatle" from at least 1966 onwards! He says it repeatedly even contemporaneously!
    He was so traumatized by being "A Beatle", that he rarely had anything positive to say about them even long after they ceased to exist!