John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band - Best vinyl pressing

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bettsaj, Jan 31, 2019.

1. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.” Thread Starter

I'm on the market for a good pressing of Plastic Ono Band. I've initially been looking at UK first pressings which are currently holding up a good price on Discogs, also Michael Fremer recommends the original UK as the best pressing.

But, what are your thoughts? I was recommended the French Marconi Imagine 2nd pressing, and I have to say it's brilliant, with lovely quiet vinyl, very little surface noise, and nice and punchy. I', wondering what the French POB album is like, as good as Imagine?

Any experience with other pressings greatly appreciated...

DK Pete likes this.
  2. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I know the older, more original pressings are more focused on (and I have a couple)...but on the other end, the current 180g "signature" re-issue of the album is superb. Not only is the vinyl quiet on all those pressings (at least, to my experience), I think it's the best sounding version of the original mix. On the flip side of things, my original U.S. pressing is horrible.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  3. bettsaj

I know about the 180g remaster, but that's a digital transfer which I want to steer clear of. I'm looking at analogue pressings only. Not that i'm trying to be anal about it, but It's just what I want to collect.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  4. bettsaj

BUMP!! Any ideas as to good alternatives to an original UK pressing?

5. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

I like my purple capitol Wally pressing.

kozy814 and fmfxray373 like this.
  6. bettsaj

Purple!..... Really. Ah, the label......... Just checked Discogs. It's a 1978 repress.

What's the mastering like?

7. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

It's digital ..... but hi-rez......the best presentation of the album I've heard (i have an original US pressing).

8. bettsaj

I may buy the new remaster just because it's there, and it's cheap.... But I really want a first UK pressing in near mint condition.... That's the one that keeps coming up as the one to have, more so than the US first press even. I was considering the MOFI release but just read that it has that horrendous 2000 Yoko remix on it. I want to give that a wide berth to be honest. I'm a little put off by anything Yoko has anything to do with..... I know that may seem unfair, and I'm sure the new remasters are great, but I need convincing.

Bill Pafford likes this.
  9. Alex Zabotkin

Alex Zabotkin Forum Resident

Why don't you try a later UK pressing? All the re-cuts (-2 and -3) were done by Harry Moss at Abbey Road. I have a 1984 Fame re-issue with -3/-3 HTM in the deadwax and it's great. Quiet vinyl too. :thumbsup:

GreenFuz, BrentB, Man at C&A and 2 others like this.
  10. bettsaj

You know what.... I was just looking at the Fame reissues on Discogs and was wondering how good they are. Historically the vinyl quality was not that good, and being the 80's was normally thin as the Fame reissues were budget releases. What's yours like??

11. Alex Zabotkin

Alex Zabotkin Forum Resident

Well, thankfully my copy of POB is perfect. The vinyl is 120g-ish, but it's not a big deal. :)

12. robargebl

robargebl Forum Resident

I have an original US Apple which is just as good as the purple Capitol one I got when I was in 7th grade. That album blew my mind at that age.

13. bettsaj

I'm not 100% about the US pressings. I've heard they're good but not as good as the first UK pressing. I know it's all subjective, and we all hear different things.....

14. emkay

emkay Senior Member

I've got an original Dutch pressing I really like. It's odd - it has regular Apple labels.

15. bettsaj

you mean with a green apple, as opposed to the white apple on the UK pressings? Like this....... If so it's a repress...... not sure when from though

[​IMG]

16. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Since you're in the UK, I suggest a UK -2 HTM / -3 (if you don't want to spring for an original).

I have an extra but shipping isn't cheap from here.

17. bettsaj

Is that a 2nd pressing...... looks like it.. Has yours got the picture inner, or a plain white inner?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  18. emkay

emkay Senior Member

Yes - maybe like that. Still, that's a nice sounding copy. check yer matrix...

19. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Pretty sure that it's the 2nd UK pressing, yes.

Don't have it near me at the moment, but I think it as the picture inner.

20. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

It may have blown your mind in the 7th grade understandably, but put them side by side now, and you will disagree with your statement. No comparison!

Shawn likes this.
  21. bettsaj

What's the issue then?... The US pressing not as good as the later Purple Capitol pressing?

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  22. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Capital Purple Dome is fine I think. It is the one I have from the 70s.
    I am going to pick up the Optimal at B&N one of these days...I don't mind the digital sourcing. This album is an more an emotional punch than anything else.

23. No Blue Skies

No Blue Skies Forum Resident

This is one of my all time favorite albums! Definitely top 10. I own two 1970 copies (one is the original I bought upon release). Last year I purchased the current European Apple release, a month or so after buying the record finally got around to playing it and was sorely disappointed with the amount of surface noise and pops (especially in the quiet parts). Generally, I have had good luck with new vinyl but this one hurt because of my deep, longstanding attachment to the music.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    john lennonist and bettsaj like this.
  24. bettsaj

So, I'm assuming you have an original US pressing? The current release you bought i'm assuming is the new remaster, doesn't sound too good to me. I've read dozens of articles and watched You Tube videos regarding this album, and it all leads to an original UK 1st pressing. i'm curious to what the original US pressing is like though...

25. carlo

carlo Forum Resident

For me the Japanese vinyl from the 70s is sounding great (Apple AP-80174 "The Beatles Forever" series). I've never heard a better remastering of My Mummy's Dead.