John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band - Best vinyl pressing

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bettsaj, Jan 31, 2019.

1. plentyofjamjars67

plentyofjamjars67 Forum Resident

This thread has reminded me that I purchased an orig German pressing of this title several months ago that I have yet to give a listen to...o_O

[​IMG]
    (photo from discogs)

DK Pete and Alex Zabotkin like this.
  2. robargebl

robargebl Forum Resident

. What I meant was that the first time I heard the album I was in 7th grade...nothing to do with what vinyl sounded better. My statement was interpreted out of context.

3. I bought it practically on day one and played it endlessly. It was my then girlfriend/soon to be wife/now ex-wife's favourite LP for a long time. I always thought the Canadian pressing of this sounded fine, but I have no reference as to other originals and I never pursued acquiring one. I did however purchase the MFSL reissue and have been pleased with it, but my gut tells me that an original NM UK First press would sound better.

4. Ram On 1971

Ram On 1971 Well-Known Member

The First US sounds great.

5. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

Was that the one released in 2015 for Europe?

6. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.” Thread Starter

Yep

7. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

Have you been following this thread?
    Abbey Road 50th Anniversary Discussion. What Can We Expect?
    See post #3041, an "insider" liked the comment FWIW
    There may be a reissue this year but if it's like last year's Imagine reissue then it will get a remix.
    But I too am looking for an original and that was the last, then there was the 2005 release with 2 extra songs at the end and they pushed Remember back as the last cut on side 1.
    No thanks Apple & Mobile Fidelity

john lennonist likes this.
  8. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

Awesome. I have an original pressing so a remix definitely interest me. The 2000 remix was NR’d but if the new Imagine remix is anything to go by it seems they learned their lesson.

9. murch

murch Forum Resident

I agree. Maybe the UK sounds better since it was cut over there but I'm happy with the sound of my first U.S. pressing. I also have the 2015 180 g and it sounds decent as well.

10. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.” Thread Starter

Just got a UK first pressing in VG-NM condition. The only issue is 2 ticks on the intro to Mother, the rest of the album is as NM as you can get. Excellent sounding LP and glad I waited to get this. Only cost me £20 due to the 2 ticks on side 1. I may continue searching for a totally clean copy as i'm a bit pedantic when it comes to this record.

Man at C&A and Spadeygrove like this.
  11. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

Anyone heard an 80s US rainbow label pressing? Assuming it sounds pretty great

DK Pete likes this.
  12. johnnytheg

johnnytheg Forum Resident

Did all the original UK first issues have the lyric sheet inner sleeve? I've seen some for sale with an inner sleeve by Apple, but no lyrics.

Man at C&A likes this.
  13. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I have it; it has better clarity than the original US Apple pressing.

14. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I'm not sure what "NR'd" means but I think the 2000 remix is incredible; totally retains the integrity of the original album while giving it more power, depth and clarity. I have the CD re-issue well as the MFSL vinyl pressing. As a pressing, MFSL has had better moments but the sound quality of the album is amazing.

15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I haven't heard the Plastic Ono Band one, but I've never heard a bad UK pressing of anything on Fame. I've heard quite a lot and they've all been excellent, without exception. One I haven't heard is Kate Bush - Lionheart. I've read that it's better than the UK first pressing here. I can't imagine the Plastic Ono Band one being at all bad.

The problem with this album, if it bothers you, is that only the original pressings have the lyric inner sleeve in the UK. Originals have a laminated sleeve too which looks fab. I have the original UK pressing and it is a stunning sounding record.

16. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

I was listening to mine recently and it sounds great, the version that was in the complete box set, nice heavy clean press with original labels.

DK Pete likes this.
  17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It seems to me the lyric inner stopped being included very quickly. The ones you've seen are probably later but still early pressings. The vast majority I see don't have it. I know this as my sleeve and record are in excellent condition, but someone decided to cut the top and bottom off the inner, making it look more like a gatefold insert, so I've looked at many copies, over many years, trying to replace it.

grouploner, johnnytheg and DK Pete like this.
  18. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

I bought a NM 1st pressing on eBay for maybe $7 in 2000. It sounds incredible, and the better my system has become over the years, the better the record sounds. I’m inclined to think US 1st pressings can still be tracked down affordably so don’t make the mistake of getting bogged down like for a pricey UK if you get the chance to land a US cheaply.

DK Pete and murch like this.
  19. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

Man at C&A likes this.
  20. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I'm very happy that you like the copy you landed; I have an original U.S. pressing and I think it sounds okay but just to keep in mind, the "Signature Box" vinyl re-issue of this album (which was also sold individually) is superb. Anyone who can't find an original pressing (U.S. U.K. or otherwise), these are a great alternative and are extremely easy to find.

21. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I've got a NM/EX UK 1U/1U on the way. Looking forward to giving it a spin.

22. Bingo Gazingo

Bingo Gazingo Forum Resident

I have the EU 2015 issue and it skipped on my turntable (LP120). I got an old Thorens and now it’s perfect. I thought I “upgraded” my copy with an original Dutch copy with UK 1st plates and it’s not slightly as dynamic as the 2015 reissue. Even though it’s digital the 2015 sounds incredible. Much more alive.

23. Floater

Floater Forum Resident

I have that long version with the Carl Perkins song "Gone Gone Gome" (... that must be my girl, yours don't look like that ...) as well on my vinyl album. I bought in in the 1980s in Germany

24. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I like the one in this box
    [​IMG]

Paul Guerrero likes this.
  25. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I have a first US pressing in great shape, and the vinyl quality and/or mastering isn’t the greatest. I’ve never had a UK pressing of this album, but I have UK pressings of most of McCartney’s solo albums, and they are typically noticeably better than their US Capitol counterparts.