John Lennon "Rock and Roll" CD remix question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by monkboughtlunch, Dec 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member Thread Starter

Read the press release, and noticed that the bonus tracks (such as "Angel Baby") were not remixed...

Was just curious why they didn't remix the bonus cuts--since the original album tracks are remixed... Anybody know why? Seems kind of strange.

Did Spector destroy some of the session tapes for the bonus cuts--so only his mixes remain?

Or were the bonus tracks an afterthought--and there wasn't time to remix them to meet the release date?

2. I'll bet they can't find the multitracks. They were not remixed for 'Menlove Ave.' either, they are the original mixes from '73-'75.

3. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Thom, all of John's solo multitracks are accounted for. To Know Her is to Love Her and Since My Baby Left Me were mixed by Rob Stevens for Menlove Avenue. In addition, the mix of Angel Baby that appears on Menlove Avenue is not the same as on Adam VIII's Roots (besides the obvious edit). It seems like laziness or a time deadline is the only reason why these tracks were not remixed.

4. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I suppose one could also believe that Yoko and the producers felt the bonus tracks did not need remixing?

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Urrg, the words "Lennon" and "remix" in the same sentence always makes me a bit queasy.

6. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member Thread Starter

14. Angel Baby (Bonus Track, from: “Menlove Avenue”, not remixed)
    15. To Know Her Is To Love Her (Bonus Track, from: “Menlove Avenue”, not remixed)
    16. Since My Baby Left Me (Bonus Track, diff. Vers. than on "Menlove Avenue")
    17. Just Because (Bonus Track, Reprise)

Above pasted from press release.

So of the 4 bonus tracks, only 2 are not remixed? "Angel Baby" and "To Know Her?"

And for these two tracks, the mixes used were done in 1986 for "Menlove Ave?" Or are these earlier mixes?

7. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Tracks 14-16 are the Menlove Ave mixes (unless they've slipped something past us). Track 17 has to be a mix of recent vintage because I do not believe this take would have been considered, let alone mixed, in 1973/4/5.

8. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Also Track 17 is just the end piece, no the entire song. :(

9. thenexte

thenexte Forum Resident

The remixed version of this Lennon album does indeed sound fantastic, I never liked the original for its muddy sound, but this one is a whole different ballgame, the difference is like night and day...

10. ascot

ascot Senior Member

For those of us who are completists, a proper Mind Games CD would also include the 45 mix of "Meat City" which used a different backwards section in the first verse.

Edit: Oops! Wrong thread - my mistake! :o

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.