John Lennon song by song album by album thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Snoddywilko, May 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Slippin' and Slidin'- I love this song in all versions! A rock n roll classic! The Buddy Holly version is my favorite with the emphasis on the guitar. The original Little Richard version is also dynamite! John takes third place, but that is nothing to be ashamed of. He does a mighty fine cover here and it's one of the albums highlights. 4.5/5

2. Hombre

Hombre Forum Resident

I wouldn't go that far, but I'd take the figure of John Lennon as the major representative of the generation that didn't let rock & roll die. :)

WilliamWes, Smiler, blutiga and 2 others like this.
  3. Snoddywilko

Snoddywilko Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think Sweet Little Sixteen was the most divisive yet; there were a few high scores but also a LOT of 1’s.

WilliamWes likes this.
  4. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Why are you bumming me out even more with this news?

5. Snoddywilko

‘cos I’m an evil sadist with a lump of coal where my heart should be?

pablo fanques likes this.
  6. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

Slippin and Slidin
    Now we get to hear what John can do when he decides to "rock and roll" (after all isn't that the title of the album?). This song cooks and John seems excited and enthusiastic.
    (4/5)

7. The MEZ

The MEZ Forum Resident

Slippin' and Slidin' 4.5

8. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Oh ! Someone told me you had the heart of a young man ....which you keep in a jar on your desk.

Snoddywilko likes this.
  9. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Slippin & Slidin
    Better than the first Little Richard cover as it is considerably more energetic with nice contributions from piano and sax particulatly. Doesn't blow be away though. Really long Tall Sally is the only Richard cover by any of them that blows me away.

Rating 3/5

10. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Slippin' and Slidin' 2/5.
    The horns kill it for me. I like John's vocal...but would choose the Anthology version without the horn overdubs.

Bern

11. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Agreed. Slippin' and Slidin' is just great, fun rock 'n' roll. A total hoot, and John sounds like he's having a blast.

12. Bern

Bern JC4Me

I've always like Lucille....there's quite a few BBC tracks I wish they had put on studio LP's.

Bern

JimJimFalls and Snoddywilko like this.
  13. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

SLIPPIN’ AND SLIDIN’ 5/5 Great Fun Song. As I became a Lennon fan literally right after he died, I don't have that perspective that a lot of you have. To me, it was over before I started so I am grateful for every track John sings on. And even his home demo's, I love because that's all I got for new Lennon. I guess that's why I love getting bootlegs because every new version of a song is a new release for me.

14. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

People really love hating on horns around here. It's as if anything other than guitar, bass, drums and piano is a sin.

PS - I love the horns on this record. And most records.

15. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Slippin' and Slidin'
    This is a damn good cut....This has that great Lennon voice unlike a few others on this LP.
    Well put together and recorded all the way around in my book.
    4.1/5

16. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Slippin' and Slidin 4/5 - My fave on the record

17. pantofis

pantofis Senior Member

Slippin' and Slidin'
    Not too excited about this tune. My first exposure to it was an old VHS video collection and I figured, if this is supposed to be a highlight of the album, oh well...
    Certainly Lennon amps it up, but to me it feels a little forced. The arrangement is still too vast to really lift off and overall it has that slightly stale and hungover feel to it that permeates the whole album. (3/5)

18. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Overdubbed vocal/acoustic guitar home demo, but pretty great. :agree:

I give John's "Slippin' & Slidin'" a strong 4/5.

19. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

This is great, tightly controlled fun. I love the horns (what do people have against horns?); they really give a straight up classic rhythm and blues atmosphere. And yes, this is one rocking take with a rocking vocals and some nice pounding and pummelling from the pianos and the drums. I definitely give it an oily black 5/5

20. Snoddywilko

Yes, I love the Anthology version, too. It’s a real shame that Anthology seems to have been wiped from online existence. Glad I have the box.

21. BillyBudapest'sPajamas

BillyBudapest'sPajamas Forum Resident

One of the highlights for sure. You can tell John loved Slippin’ and Slidin’, he’s having a blast!

4/5

It looks like people actually really like this album going by the ratings, I knew I always enjoyed it.

22. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

This is just a good song and I like all these versions......I'm guessing that's the Crickets with Buddy and their playing reminds me a lot of the Beatles in the verses... I also loved the Little Richard version..... Such a tragedy Buddy leaving this world so young, what a talent.......

I'll make some comments on Johns death and the day it happened, when we get to the conclusion of Double Fantasy. I remember the day well and have a little story to tell, I'm sure others will too. The recollections and impact of the event could make for poignant, interesting discussion. I think it's one of those world changing events, people remember where they were/what they did that day and the range of emotions.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  23. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Slippin And Slidin. 5/5

24. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Mustn't forget The Band's version (another favorite act that were hit or miss with oldies covers, but they hit it with this one!).

Lennon's version: One of the better cuts here. The horns work a lot better here than elsewhere. 4/5

25. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

Slippin' and Slidin'

After snoozing his way through the second half of Side 1, John starts Side 2 with a burst of real high-energy rocking and rolling! This was, and remains, one of my favourites on the album, as John sounds as though he's truly capturing the essence of one of the songs that inspired him to make music in the first place.

If I was a big fan of straight ahead 50s rock'n'roll I'd give this a much higher score, but as I'm not it's a 3/5.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.