John Mayall w/ Peter Green - Live Recordings from Early 1967

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by prof. stoned, Aug 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Great news. On the referred page (http://ericcornemusic.com/) I can also see interesting info regarding a different live material in preparation:

John Fell likes this.
  2. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

3. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Take my money please

4. pernod

pernod Forum Resident

Picked it up today. Unfortunately they butchered it with noise reduction and sucked a big part of the breathing life out of it, it sounds flat, metallic and it has a claustrophic effect when listening with headphones. If I was Tom Huissen I know I would be very pissed about this. I'm thinking about returning it.

jay.dee, ash1, bluesbro and 1 other person like this.
  5. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Thanks for the info. Four or five of the shows Tom recorded are shared in collectorland, so see no reason to buy this release. They should have just released them un-eq'd as a box set, it's all essential for Green fans.

ash1 likes this.
  6. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

So tempting. Any related hint or assistance in this respect?

Thanks a lot

Alex

7. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

This is a great release given the age of the recordings. I wish they would release the rest of the recordings that were taped or least a version of each song played during the run.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
    ash1 likes this.
  8. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

I haven't played my copy yet but pernod's comment is worrying. I'd agree with dino77 that they should just release the whole lot in their raw state.
    There really needs to be a way for people to get better access to Peter Green's live performances from 1967 to 70 rather than via the "collectors route". It took me years to find the right people who were willing/able to trade. I wonder if Mick Fleetwood would consider a flac download site. I know there'd be demand especially if we knew the money was going to the right people and Mick still seems incredibly wowed by that period despite the extremely sad way it finished.
    I'd still recommend people buy this Green/Mayall cd if only to let the compilers know that the demand is there.

mark renard and dino77 like this.
  9. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Maybe if it sells well, they will release some more of the tapes.

I just listened to mine on my boom box at work in my office. The guitar is pretty loud. Yes the bass, drums and vocals could be recorded a little better but it sounds good for a tape of this age and we are lucky to have it at all.

10. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

There is a concert torrent site called dimeadozen, which is borderline legal in that a) no commercially released material is allowed b) any artist can disallow recordings of their performances being uploaded (Peter Green solo is one such not allowed act).
    Just a hint. Apologies if I violate some forum rule here.

ash1 likes this.
  11. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

great site. well worth a visit.

dino77 likes this.
  12. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Can anyone tell how the sound quality compares to, say, Bluesbreakers' "Primal Solos" live collection?

13. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Volume 2 to be released in May. IMWAN • [2016-05-06] John Mayall's Bluesbreakers "Live In 1967: Volume Two" (Forty Below UK) »

[​IMG]

Description
    The follow up to last year’s Volume One of John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers “Live In 1967”, featuring Peter Green, John McVie and Mick Fleetwood. Volume 2 showcases three John Mayall originals including the opening track, all-time blues classic “Tears In My Eyes”; “Chicago Line”, complete with John McVie bass solo; and “Please Don’t Tell”, a great example of the power blues The Bluesbreakers were revered for. Thanks to dedicated fan Tom Huissen who took his one channel reel-to-reel tape recorder into various London clubs in 1967, these historical performances were captured for all time. Unheard for almost fifty years, John recently obtained these tapes and began restoring them with the technical assistance of Eric Corne of Forty Below Records. Corne adds, “While the source recording was very rough and the final result is certainly not hi-fidelity, it does succeed in allowing us to hear how spectacular these performances are.” It’s truly an exciting glimpse into music history.

Tracklist
    1. Tears In My Eyes
    2. Your Funeral And My Trial
    3. So Many Roads
    4. Bye Bye Bird
    5. Please Don't Tell
    6. Sweet Little Angel
    7. Talk To Your Daughter
    8. Bad Boy
    9. Stormy Monday
    10. Greeny
    11. Ridin' On The L & N
    12. Chicago Line
    13. Double Trouble

Looking forward to this one.

14. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Just picked up volume 1, despite having copies of the full sets. Haven't compared the sound against the unaltered tapes, but it's nice to have a legit release of Tom's recordings either way. Green is just ferocious on these recordings, playing fast and loud as heck, having a few months to go before achieving his "mature" style. But his performances are totally convincing, more so than Clapton with the Bluesbreakers imho.

15. ebro

ebro The Green Manalishi

Was it the CD or the vinyl you listened to? Was going to pick up the vinyl yesterday but I held off until I read some reviews here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.