R.I.P. John Prine 1946-2020 dies of Covid-19*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Old Fart At Play, Mar 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Wishing John Prine all the best and a speedy recovery. He's one of my favourites from the early 1970s.

2. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Fiona just updated her Twitter post to clarify that "stable" does not mean better or out of the woods. He's still very ill. Personally, this has gotten me really emotional the last 24 hours -- and, as usual, John's lyrics are there:

For a heart stained in anger
    Grows weak and grow bitter
    You become your own prisoner
    As you watch yourself sit there
    Wrapped up in a trap
    Of your very own chain of sorrow

Hang in there, John.

3. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

John and his family certainly need our prayers right now, as do so many others during this difficult time.

4. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

For whatever it’s worth, at least it hasn’t gotten worse. That probably doesn’t mean much, but I hope a little optimism can help.

5. FriendlyRanger

FriendlyRanger Forum Resident

Anybody who appreciates music and really knows their stuff loves the guy. Not usually a praying man but I'll pray for old John.

Hoping John goes 'round this time for a bit longer before it's his time to go 'round again.

6. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Apparently there's some disagreement in the medical community over describing someone's condition as "critical but stable." It sounds like John's still in pretty bad shape, but not in any immediate danger. Here's hoping he continues to improve.

The third rock/folk concert I ever attended was Prine at the Academy of Music in Philly in April 1975. At one time, I could play & sing almost anything off his first few albums (could probably still give it a shot). In other words, he's been a big part of my musical life.
    Roll on, buddy!:tiphat:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  7. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I tried to offer a medical perspective on this stable rating earlier, hopefully this one is better received, as it is directly from his wife....
    Keep up the thoughts!

“I need to clarify what I mean by ‘John is stable.’ That is not the same as improving. There is no cure for COVID-19. He needs our prayers and love — as do the thousands of others who are critically ill. Stay at home. Wash your hands. We love you.”

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/john-prine-critical-condition-with-c...

JulesRules, DaveJ, painted8 and 4 others like this.
  8. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

That was Zappa??

9. Mr. LP Collector

Mr. LP Collector Forum Resident

He has had a great career ever since his "Diamond In The Rough" was released in 1972. His recent material has gotten the attention with the younger collectors, I'll tell you that. It's been a few months since I've gone to any record shows but the younger collectors have been searching out his past lp's for some time now.

He is one of the great singer songwriters of the past 50 years.

10. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

his debut I would argue to be an amazing start

11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Still my favourite Prine, not in the least because of the special memories connected with it. It was also the favourite Prine of two of my best friends, who both died years ago.

12. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I really, really want John Prine to recover and hang around for awhile before heading to that party in heaven and smoking that cigarette nine miles long.

13. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

I’m not sure what it was like around the rest of the country, but growing up in Chicago we got a healthy dose of local boy John Prine on WXRT radio. I literally grew up listening to him. He’s always been special to me.

14. Radagast

Radagast Forum Resident

15. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Tonight I played "Diamonds in the Rough" for the first time in quite a while. Wow, what a genius collection of songs: Souvenirs, Take the Star Out of the Window, Yes I Guess They Ought to Name a Drink After You, Rocky Mountain Time... That ability to stick a knife in your heart with just a few words: "He was sworn to do his duty/And got blood on his high school ring."

Be well, John. We need you right now.

16. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

One of my most treasured John Prine vinyl LPs

[​IMG]

17. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

There don't seem to be any new updates today. Nothing new on Twitter from either John's account or Fiona's. I don't usually get upset by celebrities being mortal, but damn this is hard.

18. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

This may sound selfish but he was the last performer I really wanted to see live. I hope he recovers and not for my selfish reasons but because we need John Prine’s in this world now more than ever.

19. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

20. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I'm going with "no news is good news".

21. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

Amen.

22. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Every time I get an alert for this thread I find myself bracing for awful news. Hoping for the best for a genuine national treasure.

23. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

If prayer works John will recover. Like so many others here I love his work and have been enjoying it for decades. I wish him a full recovery.

24. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Me too....this song gives me great comfort about our mortality. Many of John's songs are comforting in times like these, and often make me laugh and smile.

If there is some kind of heaven or spiritual plain, this would be where I'd like to go...thanks John!

When I get To Heaven

25. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Colbert is a big fan and did a nice segment on his at-home show last night. Showed a duet he did with Prine from one of his appearances on Colberts show(s). I think Prine did The Colbert Report as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.