"John was the boss Beatle" Billy Preston

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by helter, Sep 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. helter

helter Forum Resident Thread Starter

Was a little surprised by Billy Preston's statement that John was "the boss" since Billy joined the band in 1969 when Paul was more actively involved in the bands day to day affairs.
    He did call Paul the "most musically knowledgeable" member of the Beatles.
    These can be heard at 3:45 and 7:00 in this Q&A session from 1996.

I remember someone who was around during the Abbey Rd sessions saying he thought the other Beatles were afraid of John.

Great to see Billy Preston again in this clip.

forthlin and theMess like this.
  2. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I'm not surprised by that contention. Billy could see right in front of his nose that the others were tip-toeing around John & Yoko. Paul may have acted like the producer but John still had the veto power, even if by merely being silent much of the time.

BeatlesBop and Siegmund like this.
  3. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Im not sure "boss" is meant in that way. I think its more like "Man, that is *boss*". Meaning John was the hip/coolest Beatle. The one who had the "it" the most.

Guy E and Lost In The Flood like this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

nothing new...we all knew that from the beginning...John in my eyes was always the leader and my fav from day one...as well as my Mom's.

5. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

I thought he meant that John was cast in the role of Boss Hog on Dukes of Hazard, but was unfortunately murdered before filming started.

6. helter

helter Forum Resident Thread Starter

Maybe he meant John was the "Hoss Beatle"?

ARK, Remy, ajsmith and 2 others like this.
  7. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

By gosh, you may have something there.

Me, I was thinking William M. "Boss" Tweed, of Tammany Hall fame. John did later make NYC his adopted home. Coincidence? I think not...

8. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

John probably was the boss and that's why it fell apart when John was "distracted."

9. cryingbluerain

cryingbluerain Forum Resident

Everyone in the Beatles camp could see Paul, George and Ringo were tip toeing around John & Yoko. Except for John & Yoko who either didn't notice or didn't care.

I agree John was the boss of The Beatles. He put the band together. And in 1969 he ended it.

10. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Wish he'd exercised it then on 'Maxwell's Silver Hammer'.

veloso2, Tommyboy, RogerB and 7 others like this.
  11. cryingbluerain

cryingbluerain Forum Resident

There's a great book I've been reading called "You Never Give Me Your Money" by Peter Doggett about the Beatles breakup.
    Gives a lot of insight into just how important John Lennon was to the band. The other 3 were basically in awe of him and he was there leader. So much so that they even tried (especially Paul) to accept Yoko being "in the band."

12. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

I thought Springsteen was the BOSS?

13. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

No.

14. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

From what I have read about this Beatles period, John was more a "primadonna" than a boss.

Millington likes this.
  15. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

Billy first met them in Hamburg in 1961 or 62, and I'm sure John probably seemed like the boss then, too.

Paulwalrus, forthlin and e.s. like this.
  16. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

This was always my belief as well...

zebop likes this.
  17. Vincentrifugal

Vincentrifugal Forum Resident

That's true in the early days. You can thank "H" and" Oh no ! " for the Lennon that didn't look interested in taking the lead (I'm assuming that's what "bossing" the other Beatles meant) on anything Beatle related the last years.

zebop likes this.
  18. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

This is what he was talking about, not 1969.

Paulwalrus and Muddy like this.
  19. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Thanks for posting; that was a very interesting interview, and one that I had never seen before.

Billy seemed like such a wonderful and fun person, and he had some interesting insights into the Beatles. I found his story about Paul calling him and saying 'I didn't know that you wrote 'You Are So Beautiful' funny.

helter likes this.
  20. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

I think Billy meant that John was the moss Beatle because she sure as heck wasn't a Rolling Stone.

ajsmith likes this.
  21. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Certainly more so than in 1969.

22. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

John went through a passive, LSD-influenced phase from 1966-1968: he could still create but he became comparatively laid-back and easy-going. This made him 'easier' to work with - a lot of people have commented on how 'together' the Beatles seemed during the recording of Pepper, even though one of them was calling most of the shots.

John 'kicked off' again during the recording of the White Album/Hey Jude/Revolution and it was around this point that the others started 'tiptoeing' around him. Paul has acknowledged that John always had final power of veto over everything, including the fate of the band. I think it was Paul's apparent 'appropriation' of this power of veto (where the public was concerned) that really hurt him.

zebop and BeatlesBop like this.
  23. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Or, you could instead thank something called "realizing you're a grown-up and no longer want to live in a real-life version of the movie HELP!"

24. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Honey Pie, Wild Honey Pie, etc.

25. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

George had wanted out for years... it wasn't gonna last much longer no matter how much you want to exclusively blame John (and Yoko).

George said he was ready to pack it in after the tour with the Manila concert.

Plus he said once he started hanging with Clapton and Dylan who told him how great they thought he was, he started thinking, "Why do I have to put up with all this 'second-class-citizen' crap" from Paul (and sometimes John).

Frankly -- though I was bummed at the time -- I'm glad it ended when it did.

We never would have gotten all the great Harrison material... plus a lot of John's great (non-"Unfinished Music") solo material.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
    blutiga, DrJ and Lost In The Flood like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.