John Williams says that Star Wars Episode IX is his last Star Wars score.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Mar 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

From his early days in Hollywood. He plays the piano under the direction by the composer, Hank Mancini.

BeatleJWOL and enro99 like this.
  2. Cokeman118

Cokeman118 Forum Resident

Jar Jar was supposed to be a Sith Lord, at least that is one fan theory. The voice actor has hinted at it, and Geroge Lucas has said there was more to that character. But because of the poor reception of the character, the idea was scrapped. Instead we got Count Dooku. I was convinced Jar Jar would be revealed in the last Star Wars movie as a Sith... could you imagine the audience reaction??

3. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

Life long Star Wars fan here who thinks that the music is 51% responsible for the success of the original trilogy.williams is every bit as good as the 300 year old composers ,sad to see him go.Altho Superman would not break my top 100 favorite movies the Williams theme from the original film is beyond inspiring and incredible.

4. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Actually there is scrapped footage where he is saying "Ben, I am your father" o_O

Vidiot likes this.
  5. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Thanks John.

6. BobbyH

BobbyH Forum Resident

I like all of Williams' Star Wars soundtracks, including the last two. Rey's theme in The Force Awakens is one of my favorites out of the entire saga, and I love the slower version of this theme in the track The Scavenger. Also love the Jedi steps music in the last track. In The Last Jedi sountrack, The Rebellion is Reborn has a great theme, and I love the slower version of it in Fun with Finn and Rose. But my favorite track is The Spark. The way those classic themes are mixed together and how it transitions to the music where Luke walks out of the base is awesome and chilling!

coffeetime likes this.
  7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

While Williams’ music is part of the pantheon of the “Star Wars” movies, it’s very tedious, old school, and dated sounding. The franchise would do well to update their composer and the style of the music going forward.

Flame me as you will.

8. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Don't blame him. Obviously because its time to stop working due to age, but because the franchise has become PC ridden garbage. And you guys thought Lucas was ruining Star Wars. :thumbsdow

JasonA likes this.
  9. BobbyH

BobbyH Forum Resident

I thought The Force Awakens was pretty good. I also like The Last Jedi but I have mixed feelings about it. I prefer these two over the prequel trilogy though. I like the PT but sometimes I feel like I’m watching an early 2000s computer game.

But none of these come close to the original trilogy. And I mean the original original trilogy, now the ridiculous updated CGI versions. If Lucas had just released the original versions, he could release updated special editions every year for all I care.

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Lucas has not owned any of Star Wars since October of 2012. Since Disney bought Fox yesterday (7/27/2018), now it's up to them to decide whether and when to restore all of the Star Wars films, since they own every single one of them outright -- copyrights, home video rights, TV rights, worldwide distribution, merchandising, theme park rights, everything. And I would bet that also includes all unreleased footage, original versions, and revised versions.

MaestroDavros and IronWaffle like this.
  11. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Don't worry, the next set are going to be produced by Ice Cube and Dr. Dre, directed by DJ Yella, and starring a reanimated hologram Eazy-E as a young Jedi knight...parents will be given special devices that signal them when to cover their children's ears...of course, the children may still ask "Why is everyone naked?!?"

12. BobbyH

BobbyH Forum Resident

Yeah, but Lucas could've released the original versions before Disney bought him out. There was no good reason not to release them. Ridley Scott understands this concept, which is why he had no problem with all five versions of Blade Runner being released. Spielberg understands this too and released the original version of E.T. along with his updated version. He also came around to his senses and knows the original E.T. is superior.

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

As I've said many times, I was assured by the Lucasfilm staff that "in George's head, the movies aren't finished until he says they are." So it was his creative decision to make and not that of the audience's. Now, things are different, but it remains to be seen whether Disney will act on it.

I made several inquiries when we were working on the 2K remasters 14 years ago whether they could go ahead and restore the original original Star Wars films while they were doing the new versions, and the official answer is, "the only version of the movie that's getting released to home video is George's current version." My choice would always be to release the first theatrical version and also the revised version and let the audience decide, but I'm just a technician, not an executive making the decisions.

BobbyH and via_atx like this.
  14. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

There's a lot of good stuff in Ep.1: the pod race; the three-sided fight at the end with Darth Maul; the Jedi vs. the droids at the start; the city designs for Naboo. From Ep. 8 I don't remember one good thing and there are several things about it that I hate ... on top of which it was the first SW film in which I was bored in the theatre.

via_atx likes this.
  15. via_atx

via_atx Forum Resident

The Last Jedi makes episode 1 look Oscar-worthy

16. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

actually they were both Oscar worthy episode 1 nominated for 3 last jedi for 4 :)

via_atx likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.