John & Yoko 'Wedding Album' 50th Anniversary reissue edition coming in March 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by andrewskyDE, Feb 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I'm getting the vinyl release IF my $15.98 Amazon pre-order holds up. By most accounts, the packaging is pretty nice. As far as listening, it's likely a one-and-done prospect for me.

I guess we can't all gush over these Unfinished Music releases.

2. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I'm not gushing over them. Look they aren't my favorite in the Yoko discography (since I'm not really a John/Beatles fan), but if you don't like them, you don't have to buy them -- you also don't have to be a dick about it like most of the snarky posters here.

3. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

There was only one post that I saw that could be described as dickish and it was deservedly gorted.

The Wedding Album was as much about packaging as it was about the contents of the record, if not more so. I think that it's totally fair for someone to state that they won't buy this because the music itself isn't good, in spite of the elaborate packaging. None of the Unfinished Music albums are known for their listenability so I'm not really sure what you expect in a thread about The Wedding Album.

4. Adamjames

Adamjames Forum Resident

The amazon price is for the box set there is no stand alone vinyl I emailed the company that make the vinyl they replied . So let’s hope the orders don’t get cancelled
    This is the email I got back

Hi Adam,
    Thanks for reaching out! This is only available in the boxset, and we do not currently have plans for a standalone.
    Best,
    Rachel

Embracetheday likes this.
  5. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Yes, it only sold for $7.98 IIRC

6. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Good points, although there is some evidence that Two Virgins is actually John and Yoko overdubbing some sounds on top of home recordings John already had, and allegedly IIRC Pete Shotten (?) or someone like that contributed some too, and John and Yoko added their "sounds" to the recordings when they first "hooked up."

As for who drove the project, I mean yes Yoko has a lot of input and ideas on the three Unfinished albums, but as far as the whole idea of Zapple and released odd audio verite and spoken word things through APPLE, surely that general idea was John's when the whole concept of Apple was created, before Yoko was really in the picture. Once he and Yoko were solidified, John probably saw this as a great vehicle for Yoko's art and a way to collaborate with her through Apple. Makes sense to me.

Of course once the idea was started, she took it and ran with it. I doubt it was John's idea to have their miscarried child's heartbeat on a record, for instance. That's pure Yoko. And I think John allowed her to do whatever she wanted to do, knowing that with his name on it, a few more people who see her art and at least attempt to engage with it.

It's like Andy Warhol having his name on the first Velvet's album. It's like "John Lennon presents...Yoko!" That kind of vibe. But things like just recording "Amsterdam" is right from the Get Back sessions documentary style playbook, and there's no reason to think that couldn't have been John's idea to film and record their every move.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  7. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

It's amazing how similar all these albums we buy to sit on a shelf sound the same. That being the silent sound of our collections, waiting to be played.

phillyal1 and Chemguy like this.
  8. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Hey man, I've read all the dull stuff that's fallen out of your skull in this thread without being a dick. Live and let live!

9. AdamChanSiuLung

AdamChanSiuLung Forum Resident

I have a Japanese vinyl box set on Odeon records from I think it was the 1980s or early 90s. The only thing that I was unhappy about was the fact that it didn't have the Apple label. I also have the Ryko CD and a Japanese mini album box set, I think that's also on Ryko or whoever distributed the Ryko version in Japan.

I'm looking forward to this forthcoming white vinyl reissue!

vince likes this.
  10. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Yes it was but those LPs from England were basically a price gouge for community record stores & local head shops...I paid 16.99 each for Two Virgins , Life With The Lions & Electronic Sound & Wonderwall Music...

Remember that TWA was the 1st box set of any kind even it did contain only 1 LP & that was reason enough to increase & it was a favorite Beatle as well...again the sellers knew they could get those prices...

I also paid 9.99 for the Live Peace orig. w / calendar...

In the 80s when the Beatles had their 3rd Beatlemania the new represses were selling for $20-$25 & TWA $50...

My wife paid $100 for an orig. Japanese pressing in 83...

Shops charged those prices because 1st generation Beatle-niks like myself could / would pay it...

Just like new vinyl today , same principle , different era & of course quality was A+ (for the most part)

I can't recall having to ever return a 60s orig. Beatle 45 or LP import or domestic

11. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

John was a admirer of Capt.Beefhearts avant-garde psychedelic musings & especially fond of Safe As Milk...

And John being John always pushing the musical envelope fancied himself as a respectable (through Yokos encouragement) Avant-garde genius...

3 LPs later proved that he was wrong...

Must haves for collectors only

12. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I don't know....those tapes could be "worn out" from all the pressings over the years of this 'classic'. :rolleyes:

13. spondres

spondres Forum Resident

I have a fifteen-minute version called 'Carnival of Silence'.

boggs and Peace N. Love like this.
  14. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

They should reissue the actual wedding cake on the next Record Store Day.......serve it to the fans waiting in line to happily pay $100 for a yellow vinyl POS.

15. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

As promised.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

vince, MoonPanda, oboogie and 9 others like this.
  16. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

@apple-richard the calendar belongs to Live Peace in Toronto I believe.

apple-richard likes this.
  17. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner Thread Starter

And John staying mono in the subwoofer?

18. True!

forthlin and apple-richard like this.
  19. apple-richard

Nope same one in both of them but the Wedding album did not have a spiral. The Live Peace came with a metal or plastic spiral. Since it was dinging the record the calendar was removed and a post card was put in to send for one. I have a few; German, French 2 USA and a sealed USA.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

oboogie, forthlin and andrewskyDE like this.
  20. apple-richard

Nope.

21. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner Thread Starter

Nice! I have the UK first pressing, but unfortunately no calendar in there.

apple-richard likes this.
  22. Sorry Richard but the calendar came inside Live Peace in Toronto. You would see all the thick spiral part sticking out and wrapped in shrink near the opening of the LP cover, We sold them in our stores in the 70s and the calendar was included for a long time. It did not come in the Wedding Album.....:tiphat:

Im confused. Thought you said it didn't come in Peace. Never mind......

forthlin and apple-richard like this.
  23. apple-richard

I just opened this sealed one without a calendar I bought in 1982 for $10.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

oboogie, forthlin and Critter like this.
  24. apple-richard

Read post 170 then post 174.

Mazzy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.