John Zorn Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mirror Image, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Of course I'll get them all, assuming that I live that long, but I agree that it's the Marsella disc that I'm looking forward to, although I'm not sure whether it will be solo or trio. Clever programming from Zorn though: Friedlander for the more classically inclined, Trigger for the Rock fans, Mori for the avant garde audience and Halvorson for the Jazz aficionados. Now that we know how this is going to go we can begin to guess what the future boxed sets are going to be like ...

I hope we will get four sets (one per season) this year. And that the series continues after that.

2. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Are Zorn’s CDs available for downloads?

Update: Yes on the 7digital platform but limited to 10 CDs. :cry:

3. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Try Boomkat. They've got an extensive-but-not-complete Tzadik section.

Tzadik - Boomkat

Sordel and Norco74 like this.
  4. Norco74

Thanks! They have quite a vast selection.

gd0 likes this.
  5. AlphabetMan

AlphabetMan Senior Member

Songs For Petra is amazing, it's great to hear Zorn songs with lyrics (no, not the Song Project which is older stuff rearranged).
    She has a beautiful voice.

gd0, rodrigosanche55 and Jimbino like this.
  6. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Interesting surf-guitar take on Masada songs by Akron, OH band Golems Of The Red Planet. This is an ongoing project by Harvey Gold (Tin Huey) and three outstanding local musicians. The composer's feedback has been very positive!

Golems of the Red Planet

Rob C likes this.
  7. Rob C

Rob C Forum Resident

These are great! Thanks for the tip. Nice to see the Masada book getting play outside the official confines of Tzadik.

jkauff and AlphabetMan like this.
  8. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

GRompre68, AlphabetMan, james and 2 others like this.
  9. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Jimbino likes this.
  10. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

Forthcoming Tzadik releases, per Welcome to Tzadik :

John Zorn: Heaven And Earth Magick [#8378]
    Heaven and Earth Magick showcases Zorn’s fabulous and compelling blending of classical virtuosic instrumental writing with the improvisational world of Jazz. Completely notated works for piano and vibraphone brilliantly performed by Steve Gosling and Sae Hashimoto are set against a dynamic improvisational rhythm section of Jorge Roeder and Ches Smith. An exciting new musical world filled with an exhilarating sense of drama and a mischievous wit. Zorn’s unique mastery of instrumental writing and wild improvisational conducting skills are here in all their thorny complexity. Essential!
    (February 2021)

John Zorn: Teresa De Avila [#8379]
    Preceded by "Nove Cantici per Francesco d’Assis"” and "Virtue (for Julian of Norwich)", "Teresa de Avila" is the third and final CD in Zorn’s trilogy inspired by towering figures of Christian mysticism. Written for the all-star acoustic guitar trio of Bill Frisell, Julian Lage and Gyan Riley whose performances are steeped in a feeling of love and mutual respect, the music is both beautifully simple and strangely complex, drawing equally on classical modernism, bluegrass, jazz, Jewish and renaissance music. Filled with compositional surprises, mysterious moods, beautiful harmonies and a stunning lyricism, Teresa de Ávila is a must-have for all fans of acoustic guitar music. This is one of the most personal and varied books of music Zorn has yet written—a lovely tribute to the enduring legacy of one of the world’s most beloved spiritual figures. Includes an extended appreciation by renown philosopher Arnold Davidson.
    (March 2021)

John Zorn: Chaos Magick [#8380]
    Nothing is true—everything is permitted.

Chaos Magick is a contemporary magical practice based on the ideas of Austin Osman Spare. Remarkably inclusive, it embraces and has influenced the work of William Burroughs, Robert Anton Wilson, Aleister Crowley and many others. Inspired by these magical practices, Zorn enlists the three members of his most powerful 21st century ensemble Simulacrum with special guest Brian Marsella on electric piano into this eclectic new quartet Chaos Magick. A fast moving, improvisational and intensely focused ensemble that draws upon classical, jazz, funk, improvisation, metal and more. This music is even crazier than Electric Masada—a must for all fans of the outer realms!
    (April 2021)

11. Norco74

Finally reorganized my JZ collection by genre so easier to decide what to pickup for listening.

Doing a small Zorn-o-thon this afternoon keeping a Simulacrum cd for tonight after the game.

[​IMG]

AlphabetMan likes this.
  12. quindembo

quindembo Forum Resident

I haven't had a chance yet to watch but I thought this new short video may be of interest here...

Andrew Lampert & John Zorn - A Conversation with Occasional Pictures (AFA50)

AlphabetMan and Norco74 like this.
  13. AlphabetMan

Yet another new Zorn album listed on Tzadik, very excited for this one, covers one of my favorite subjects again, also featuring some of the Simulacrum crew again:

[​IMG]

oneway23 and Rob C like this.
  14. Norco74

Looks like a vey promising year for JZ releases. Bring them on.

AlphabetMan likes this.
  15. gd0

You had me at "Simulacrum" :laugh:

Kinda itchin' to get my hands on the Bagatelles for now.

AlphabetMan likes this.
  16. Norco74

I have ordered it so when is it shipping (Bagatelles)?

I am also waiting for the Beriah box as well...

17. gd0

Beri'ah is a wonderland.

Shipping info is pretty nebulous on the order page. "February" :confused:

Plus an additional advisory that shipping could be slow. Storms, pandemics, plague of locusts etc.

I can wait. Actually hoping for a download option.

"I ain't got NO money, honey..."

18. Norco74

These came quite cheap to me as I sold some collector’s and other items of my music collection that I have gladly decided to part with... Part of a major clean up to diminish the physical inventory.

AlphabetMan likes this.
  19. AlphabetMan

**** I forgot about Bagatelles, gonna be a lot more Zorn buying this year :D

gd0 likes this.
  20. AlphabetMan

I saw this a few days ago. As I drool over whatever Zorn interviews/podcasts I can find, this is a gem. I wish there was an archive somewhere that kept all of this in one place because so many interviews literally get pulled from the internet sadly, including audio ones.

21. james

james Summon The Queen

Does anyone know if there’s an audio recording of this concert (or others from the 60th birthday series)?

Sordel likes this.
  22. Norco74

Listened to Taboo and Exile today. Anyone finding this one is in the same league as IAO?

Quite an essential Zorn IMO (what is not really?).

AlphabetMan and gd0 like this.
  23. Rob C

Rob C Forum Resident

My Bagatelles box arrived yesterday. The packaging is really nice. I’ve only listened to the Mary Halvorson quartet disc, but I can report that it is awesome. I didn’t really know what to expect with the bagatelles but I am loving it so far.

24. gd0

Nice to know Bagatelles is actually shipping.

I'm going to hang for a bit hoping for downloads, but this is a must-have one way or another.

25. Norco74

Just wondering, did you get a shipping notice before they sent the set out?