Johnny Marr: post-Smiths favourites?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MitchLT, Jul 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Strange as, 'Nothing Last Forever' sounds like a Bunnymen Song that could have been from their Original Peak Years, so kind of hard for me to believe that Marr wrote that Song, although maybe as a Co-Writer, as a few Songs on 'Evergreen' have a similar sound to 'How Soon is Now'(which ironically sounds more like a Bunnymen Song to me).

I only own the recent 3 Marr Solo Albums. Anyone heard the Live Album from his recent Music and can comment if worth checking out, or if the Songs are just played exactly like the Album versions and not necessary?

As far as collaborations, I only own the Talking Heads 'Naked' Album. I own one Modest Mouse Album, but not sure if it is one that Marr collaborated on. Which Bryan Ferry Album did Marr collaborate on? I recently bought several Ferry Albums finding them on Used CDs in NM Condition, but no idea which years these Ferry Albums were released, but think mostly are from the 1980s.

georgespigott likes this.
  2. MitchLT

MitchLT Two for the show Thread Starter

While I’ve been trawling the Johnny Marr links I came across his Oxford Union interview, quite interesting:

I saw one of the comments say Morrissey should be next (!). Now would that really be so outrageous? Hmmm...

georgespigott likes this.
  3. georgespigott

georgespigott You fill me with inertia.

I've watched it and it is surprising how articulate Marr is. It seems like he was on a roll talking about feminism and the post-punk era when he was cut off, which is a shame because it's not a subject that gets covered enough!

Morrissey used to be great in interviews, but he seems to now only use friendly interviewers. Even then, he gets off course. He would naturally be very interesting in this Q&A situation!

theMess and MitchLT like this.
  4. georgespigott

georgespigott You fill me with inertia.

The Comet Tripper live albums, I have both the London and Manchester ones, are a blast. The London one has Matt Johnson from the The guesting on "Summer in the City", a Lovin' Spoonful cover. The versions of the songs sometimes contain extra guitar passages that are not on the recordings, like "Rise" the great opener on "Call the Comet" has a little funky guitar break. The two Electronic songs are guitar-based wonders, particularly "Getting Away with It". The London version is available as a triple album on different colored vinyl - I don't own this, but I might have to get it, it's a thing of beauty!

The Modest Mouse album with Marr is "We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank" - highlights are "Dashboard", "Fire It Up" and "Missed the Boat".

The Bryan Ferry collaboration albums are "Bete Noire" (1987) and "Avonmore" (2014).

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  5. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I do own those Albums(on CD), so will need to dig them out. Although, found 'Avonmore'(I bought after seeing Ferry perform one of Songs that I liked on 'Later with Jools Holland') to be kind of boring-TBH. Not sure why I never gave the Modest Mouse Album enough listens though.

MitchLT and georgespigott like this.
  6. kohoutek

kohoutek Forum Resident

This thread made me remember this remix of his from what seems a lifetime ago:

Turning in my sleep, you called me fool
    To fall in love, is it so uncool?

Denise Johnson sings. It's just a great track.

MitchLT, georgespigott and theMess like this.
  7. Disco Robot

Disco Robot Forum Resident

Great new single out today, "The Bright Parade".

Markyp, TexasBuck and georgespigott like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.