Johnny Rivers: Summer Rain

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Khorn, Jul 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

Any idea of the best sounding CD version of Johnny Rivers doing Summer Rain?

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The best I have is on Rhino's Johnny Rivers' Anthology.

3. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Friends,

Same here--sounds great!

Bob

4. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Is it the single version or the LP version (with the rain sound effects and shorter fade-out)? I have the 1980s Best of Johnny Rivers on EMI US, and it has the LP version on it, and I'm looking for the single version.

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I did the shorter version on some compilation.

I forgot which one, sorry.

If it comes to me I'll post.

6. SonicZone

SonicZone Senior Member

Single version (no rain effects).

7. Highway Star

Highway Star New Member

What's wrong with the version on the '98 Soul City "Realization" CD (or the whole CD for that matter)?

8. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

>>>Nothing....it sounds great!!!!

9. Highway Star

Highway Star New Member

Yes it does. I haven't heard the Rhino version of 'Summer Rain', but I can't imagine it sounding much better than this. Also, Rivers cover versions of 'Whiter Shade of Pale' and Dylan's 'Positively 4th Street' are done extremely well.

10. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

I'm pretty sure Summer Rain is a remix along with many other songs on this Anthology. Not trying to rehash the remix subject with you Grant :angel: I'm curious. Does anyone know?

11. RetroSmith

>>>Nope.....the Rhino collection is NOT remixed. It uses the two track stereo mixes in most cases.

12. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Thanks again (I just thanked you on another thread). I had assumed it was a remix because the sound was so good and it blew away the greatest hits cd I had before it came out. I also ass-u-me-d that the rain wasn't on the multis so they had to exclude it. It's good to learn.:o :o ;)

John

13. RetroSmith

Well, with Johnny Rivers, very often they got their native two track mixdown, then they put that tape on a transfer machine, and added the overdubs like the fake audience on "Secret Agent Man". That was a studio recording, they added the crowd noise later. Luckilly, most of the native first generation mixdown tapes still exist.

I have a bunch of the (i think) BRG Cds of the Lps and they are just great.

Youve gotta love Johnny Rivers. Sure hes a talented guy, but he happened to be in the right place at the right time. The Go Go sound was just perfect
    for all his cover tunes to be done in. Nothing really "unique" but very, very "in" for the times and certainly very danceable.

Love that guy!!!

14. Dan

Dan Senior Member

I bought an original stereo copy of Johnny Rivers "Golden Hits" at a yard sale last weekend. It looked mint but it has quite a bit of surface noise....anyway, the album has beautiful stereo seperation and bottom end!

Should I check out the Rhino collection?

15. RetroSmith

well, Dan, the Rhino collection is very very good. Great sound.

Personally, I like the "Go Go" Johnny Rivers, so I went with the BRG Cds of the early LPs.

Funny, at a yard sale last weekend, I picked up the "Secret Agent Man" Lp for a buck!! Havent playted it yet tho.

16. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

Isn't there two versions of "Poor Side Of Town". I used to hear a version on your oldies station here in Chicago. If I remember correctly the ending was different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.