Johnny Thunders/Heartbreakers: L.A.M.F. - your favorite version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by imagnrywar, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imagnrywar

imagnrywar Senior Member Thread Starter

last time i checked, there were three versions of this magnificent album - the original 1977 LP, the remixed/resequenced 1984 L.A.M.F. Revisited, and the 1995 L.A.M.F.: Lost '77 Mixes reissue, which restored the original song order but used alternate mixes contemporaneous with those made for the original LP.

i haven't had the original LP for some time, but i do have the latter two rereleases. the differences are substantial. "Revisited" is treblier, slicker, and clearer; the guitars take on a uniquely compressed, springy tone. the "Lost '77 Mixes" sound closer to the LP - characterized by a more expansive, "open" mix with a much more substantial, beefier low-end.

i have to say that i prefer "Revisited" by leaps and bounds. the clarity of the mix is superb. these mixes have an unbelievable energy and catchiness that is missing on the other versions. usually i like my rock'n'roll raw and unpolished, but Thunders's Chuck Berry-style licks get lost in the comparatively murkier 1977 mixes. there's also the smaller but no less insignificant matter of the track order. "Revisited" holds my attention all the way through, whereas i find myself getting bored listening to the songs in their original order as some of the weaker tunes are set side by side.

your thoughts?

2. glea

glea Forum Resident

I'm still pretty fond of my original album. I never got the revisited, but I do have the Lost '77 Mixes which I like as well. It's really a completly different experience. All those acoustic guitars that got lost as they obsessed over the mixes and took a lot of *rugs. A famous London shop owner turned his nose up with I asked him about the Revisited album. As he was French, I took his word...

3. imagnrywar

the acoustic guitars do sound great on the "Lost '77 Mixes" version of "I Love You."

4. VUDSM

VUDSM Senior Member

I bought the original UK Track LP when it came out in 1977. The songs were fantastic, but the muddy mix really did the album no favors. It just sounds flat. I have also bought LAMF:Revisited and LAMF:The Lost 77 Mixes on vinyl. To me, both of these are way better than the original Track LP. Both are excellent, but I would probably have to go with The Lost 77 Mixes as my favorite.

One Track Mind, Pirate Love, Born To Lose etc. Great album.

5. glea

glea Forum Resident

I never had a problem with the original mix. I always though it was part of the charm. My band used to play It's Not Enough and Chinese Rocks!

ps Derek were you at the Birdman gig at the Music House a couple of years back? I thought that was the best show of that tour, though the last night in Sydney was "special". Adelaide was an interesting town, reminded me of Central California.

6. VUDSM

VUDSM Senior Member

Glea,

Yeah, I was at the Birdman gig at the Music House. Great night. Back in 1977/78, I saw Radio Birdman whenever they played in Adelaide. Great memories. Sounds like your a fan.

Adelaide's a nice town, pretty sedate and laid back.

Back to LAMF, it was interesting to read comments at the time of it's release regarding the production (or mixing) of the album. Even Kris Needs (Zigzag editor) who was probably their biggest fan expressed disappointment with the sound (still loved the album of course).

But I guess your right about the original mix having a certain charm. Good to have a couple of other options though.:)

7. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

The original mix is fine with me. I love it.

On tomorrow night's plays list.

8. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Lost '77 mixes...great, great sounding CD. And they're vintage mixes...
    I also have "Revisited" which sounds totally overproduced. Never heard an original Track.

9. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

"revisted" was johnny's attempt at cleaning things up. unfortunately, he went too far, probably not helped by his, uh, clouded judgement at the time. i too love the original "mix". even it wasn't the band's choice(which basically the lost mixes are) it's very much in the spirit of the bands image. and "chinese rocks" still roars outta my speakers.

still, it would be kind of interesting to see what mr. hoffman might do with these tapes if he ever got his hands on them.

10. glea

glea Forum Resident

Wasn't it Tony James or one of those figures who did the remix? The thing is, that the Lost 77 mixes are just one person's choices. They had loads of different mixes to choose from. Wouldn't a big box be in order, not unlike the Stooges thing?

It's a shame that LAMF and So Alone are really the only post Dolls stuff Thunders did that are really worth the touble. I have loads of those crappy live albums and lesser studio recordings but it's only those too that I ever revisit. Maybe Hurt Me or Crawdad, but not much else.

11. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

i think you're right in that james partipated, but i know that the remix was thunders' idea, and that he played a big role in it. who knows what "groupies" were there for the sessions, which, again, screwed things up. i guarantee you neither walter nor jerry were there. but can you imagine the drug inventory? must have made the mixdowns at the derek & dominoes sessions look like a tea party... :D

12. imagnrywar

ha, seems that i'm the only one who favors the much-maligned Revisited!

i seem to recall reading that there were tens, if not hundreds of mixes from the original sessions (correct me if i'm wrong, i can't for the life of me remember where i read that - maybe even in the Lost '77 Mixes booklet?). it would be an interesting boxset, but one only of interest to hardcore fans; i imagine it would be pretty redundant.

also, there are already a few CDs which have these alternate mixes. an EP length CD called "L.A.M.F. Outtakes," as well as the second disc of the repressed version of Lost '77 Mixes (see http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...13/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/002-1466115-0545607)

13. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

supposedly over 250 mixes exist(ed)...your right, a box set is due :agree:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.