Johnny Thunders - "L.A.M.F." remaster - Nov 2017 + "So Alone" reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Purple Jim, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I'd love to hear a "muddy" lp rip of LAMF to judge for myself; if the legend is true or we all just have different yardsticks, if it's just me that's fine with a punk album not sounding like Brothers In Arms, as long as the vocals, guitars and drums sound good.

Neonbeam likes this.
  2. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yes, Bollocks is multi-layered and distinctly un-punk in its production.

Jimmy B., Neonbeam and punkmusick like this.
  3. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

There was a 4cd set a couple years ago which included the original mix advertised with the same wording about removing the mud. Turned out to be an ok needle drop which was EQ'd to remove the "mud". I didn't care for it. I'm guessing that's what will be on this vinyl set.

4. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Me too. I'll stick with the Lost '77 Mixes and with that cassette rip. Maybe this new remaster will be the "Lost '77 Mixes" mastered to vinyl? That could sound pretty good if done right.

rnranimal likes this.
  5. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Sounds really bright in spots and pretty thin. Like it was played without Dolby turned on, which wouldn't be giving a proper representation of the cassette's sound. Any muddy recording would get less muddy if recorded to cassette with Dolby and played back without it, but it wouldn't be correct. That's assuming it wasn't played back with Dolby. I'm not sure, but it sounds like it wasn't. Hissy and bright.

Also, either the playback deck was really off or the speed on the tape is really off because they say they adjusted the speed down 3% and it's still fast. My deck has a speed control to avoid digital adjustment. There are a few cassettes I'd love to transfer on my Nak and this is one. But I doubt I'll ever get a hold of one of these.

punkmusick likes this.
  6. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

Allegedly - and I personally doubt it it will be anything other than another over priced vinyl release with bootleg quality artwork. I can't get excited about analogue recordings digitally remastered and put onto vinyl - that whole concept is ridiculous to me. Me thinks the guy behind that label doesn't want to share any of those goodies in glorious master quality and wants to squeeze as much money out of relatively little material as they can. Time to **** or get off the pot, and let someone else release that material on CD and with quality artwork.

I'll take that all back if a CD is released next year, but I'm not holding my breath.

DTK likes this.
  7. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

8. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Will it be on Jungle Records? Over the past decade or so they've put out some great reissues of Johny's stuff, Bootlegging The Bootleggers, D.T.K. 2 cd, Que Sera Sera, Gang War, etc...

9. art

art Senior Member

Got the 24 bit from Hd tracks. Best this will sound.

10. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

I have a UK track without Porky in the deadwax and it’s perhaps a tad muddy, but I’ve always enjoyed it. It seems to me like these Lost 77 Mixes LPs are of dubious origin. I do like the 77 Mix, tho, a lot.

Purple Jim and DTK like this.
  11. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I just checked and it's 44/24 which surely means they used the '94 digital transfers (which were most likely 44/16), so I'll just stick with the CD. Shame they didn't retransfer the tapes in hi-res.

DTK likes this.
  12. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yes Jungle are excellent at handling Johnny's releases. They have no rights to the So Alone material though, a guy called Pedro Mercedes has access to the tapes (not sure how, why) and started his label Remarquable Records for those projects.

13. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Legitimate fears. I also want all the outtakes on one or two cds, no coloured vinyl bs.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  14. art

art Senior Member

They did fresh 24-bit transfers. I emailed Jungle.

OE3, Purple Jim and DTK like this.
  15. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member Thread Starter

Well that serves to underline the fact that punk was about many things, different approaches. ATV, Eater, The Drones or The Fall had that (lovely) stripped down, rudimentary punk sound, as did The Clash's first UK album to some degree but the Pistols were out to destroy and that's what they did with that immense sound.
    You know, back in the day, I would usually play cassettes without Dolby, to give rock and roll albums more spark and brighness.
    I have the cassette rip and all tracks sound better than the various vinyl versions except for Chinese Rocks. I only play my own hybrid version of the album now.
    :goodie::edthumbs: Great! It'll be interesting to hear how it turns out.

16. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I think that's true... John 'Speedy' Keen didn't deserve to have his production career crushed.

I think the story was that the tape had gotten twisted/flipped in a rewind and the mastering was done from the backside of the tape. The same thing apparently happened to Lynyrd Skynyrd when their first [unreleased at the time] Muscle Shoals album was played for execs at Atlantic Records. The backside of the tape was played during the make-or-break listening session. No recording contract was offered.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  17. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Any track listing for So Alone reissue or links to pre order or info?

18. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

If that's the case, it's a real shame they are only offering 44khz. I don't know what the point of that is. That really doesn't make sense if they did fresh digital transfers from the tapes.

19. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Here's what's been released so far:

Remarquable Records

20. 0476pearljam

0476pearljam Forum Resident

Was this one done AAA or was it from a hi-rez file ?

21. Dark Horse 77

Over at Chatterbox Pedro has been talking about this So Alone reissue for years now, and I certainly hope it happens sooner rather than later.
    Do you know if Jungle has anything in the pipeline for Johnny at the moment?
    Also, have you heard/viewed the new boot Johnny Live In Japan cd/dvd? It's from his last tour there in 1991 and I think the footage must be frightening. The final images of him in Nina Antonia's In Cold Blood book are quite disturbing.

DTK likes this.
  22. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

No, I know nothing beyond the Jungle 40th LAMF reissue.
    Not checked out the Live In Japan package, but I presume it's a straight reissue of the Who's Been Talking dvd. It's a good, professional show and Johnny looks gaunt but not strung out or anything.

This (official) 1994 release of the Japan concerts is one of my fave Johnny live albums:
    Johnny Thunders - Add Water And Stir (Live In Japan 1991)

TeddyB likes this.
  23. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

So alone was a favourite album for me back in the days. You can t put your arm around a memory stil is one of my most beloved Rock ballads. If my memory seves me well Ronnie Spector recorded that one to

Micke Lindahl and DTK like this.
  24. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Thanks for that. I'm not really a Johnny Thunders completist but I do have a few items. I bought the 12" vinyl (pink, I think) single of Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory and the original vinyl of So Alone and also of Hurt Me. The only CD I think I have is the original reissue of So Alone with a few extra tracks. I probably need to have a look around for a good compilation of the best of the rest. Any suggestions? I would probably get an expanded version of So Alone if it had a CD of extras from that period. I was always intrigued by the Peter Perrett/Mike Kellie collaborations and the Steve Jones/Paul Cook guesting too. Anyone know if there are any live releases featuring Peter Perrett. I know that they did a gig or two but whether any were recorded I have no idea.

DTK likes this.
  25. Dark Horse 77

That's funny; I had (and I think still have) that album years ago but never knew it was the same as the new Live In Japan release. I'm guessing the only difference is the new release has the DVD added on.

DTK likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.