Join Barnes & Noble For Vinyl Day on August 13, 2016

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by pghmusiclover, Aug 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

Picked up Michael Buble's first album (on LP) today! Pics later this afternoon (at work. LOL) I'll say, I'm about to talk to someone at my local Barnes & Noble about the delay in getting LPs to the shelves. When they first brought back vinyl they were doing well. Hit the store at lunch time on Friday, flip through the shelves and find what you want. For the past two to three months, nothing is shelved anymore. Each and every time something comes out, I have to go to the person at the counter and ask about it, and every single time they first check their computer in confusion, then check some stack they have hidden behind the counter in a cabinet and always find what I'm looking for. It's crazy... They have extended the vinyl section to two long rows now in my store, from the original one. It's taken over where they used to keep some DVDs, etc! And now they also have a small "categories" area where, instead of just by alphabet, it's jazz, show (TV & soundtracks), etc.

2. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

I just went to my local store to pick up The Monkees newest one. They told me I'd have to come back tomorrow since that's Vinyl Day and the date all the new exclusives would be released. I finally just went to the manager showing them that their own website shows 8/12, not 8/13 as the on sale date. He said if it was able to be scanned out, he'd sell it to me...but it's probably not going to happen. It scanned just fine so I bought it. Idiots.

Nathan Aaron likes this.
  3. Nathan Aaron

- I was wondering if they'd do that. I mean, tomorrow is their Vinyl Day, and they told me they had exactly two copies of the new exclusive Michael Buble album on vinyl. And I bought one today. I mean, it's a B&N exclusive! Maybe they should ship more to a store if they're trying to push these things on National Vinyl Day/weekend! ;)

4. Glenpwood

Glenpwood Hyperactive!

Barnes & Noble made me preorder and pay in full for the Monkees so according to my shipment tracking I should be able to pick it up tonight after work. They also are holding a Buble for me as well so I will see how it and the 20% coupon pan out....

5. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I'd like to say that you're kidding but somehow I suspect you're not.

I guess I have to throw out my White Album black vinyl copies then. Damn things aren't white...false advertising!!

Nathan Aaron likes this.
  6. Nathan Aaron

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's one of those "three-side double LPs" which to me says "two LPs were not needed, but we're feeding the audiophile lust." ;)

pghmusiclover likes this.
  7. Mike Halcomb

Mike Halcomb Member

Reading these last couple of posts about vinyl being excluded from the coupon has me a bit worried that this may be the new normal. I think I'm going to hit up their Facebook page and ask them.

If this the norm now, I'm definitely out as a frequent customer.

8. Nathan Aaron

It appears even their online coupons are very limited. "Additional Rules Governing Use of this Coupon: This coupon is not eligible for purchases of the following products and services: Barnes & Noble Memberships, Gift Cards, eGift Cards, gift-wrapping, textbook rentals, Vinyl, Movies & TV, digital content..."

9. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

What a racket, getting you to fork over for a membership and then excluding the items you want from their coupons. Big business at work.

10. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

The last coupons I had from mid July allowed vinyl purchases. But I haven't gotten any coupons this week so not sure if something changed recently.

Well, if they just changed the rules then they won't be getting my 25 bucks come renewal time.

troggy likes this.
  11. LeeGriffin

LeeGriffin Forum Resident

I'm not a member but I used to get coupons (through email) quite often before the holidays last year. I haven't gotten one coupon this year.

I did go in today to get the exclusive Moondance. None of today's exclusive releases were on the shelf. I had to go to customer service and ask about it. They were still boxed up by the desk in the multimedia department. It was odd that today was the release day but the shipping box with the exclusives had a sticker that said to "save for record day". Luckily she ignored the sticker, opened up the box and sold it to me.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    Nathan Aaron likes this.
  12. Nathan Aaron

That was a $10 off $100 purchase coupon on their site, for what it's worth. I don't know how the whole coupons with membership thing works. What I do know is they push that membership hardcore every time I purchase an album! LOL I know you get a discount on vinyl if you join the membership - pretty much 10%. I feel like I'd just break even every year if I personally did that.

Gaslight and LeeGriffin like this.
  13. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Agreed and it's not just vinyl for me - it's books as well, for the entire family. I'm probably barely in the black as it stands right now, but take aware vinyl-permitted coupons and it's all over.

Nathan Aaron likes this.
  14. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the vinyl exclusion on the current emal coupon is solely based in tomorrow's vinyl day.

Additionally, it seems B&N is reading this thread because I saw that all vinyl will be 10% off tomorrow. Unsure if this combines with the membership 10% (I'd think it would).

JeffMo and Gaslight like this.
  15. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

No, I'm being 100% serious! I actually had forum members telling me that because the album was called "Blackstar", why would I want the "white" or whatever other color the exclusive B&N version is! I wanted to get a copy for my brother, whom I mentioned in the old thread, was clearly the person who turned me onto Bowie, back when I was younger. His playing of "Hunky Dory", "Young Americans" and "Station To Station" on vinyl, really made an impression on me, at that age. It was only when David released "Low" and my brother bought that and played it for me and I lost some interest in him, only to recapture me around "Let's Dance", naturally for completely different reasons, including music videos and that great funky "Chic" sound!

j4yheindeo and Gaslight like this.
  16. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Crap. I guess I know where I'll be headed tomorrow.

17. Locutus67

Locutus67 Forum Resident

I received my "2 Days Left" to use your coupon from B&N. It's for 15% off any one item. Here's the fine print:

"Additional Rules Governing Use of this Coupon: This coupon is (i) not redeemable for cash or cash equivalents (including Gift Cards and eGift Cards); (ii) not valid on past purchases; (iii) not eligible for purchases of the following products and services: "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts I & II," vinyl, Barnes & Noble Memberships, Gift Cards, eGift Cards, gift-wrapping, textbooks, print on demand products, digital content (including but not limited to NOOK Books™, NOOK Magazines™, and NOOK Periodicals), NOOK® devices, NOOK accessories that are already discounted, other hardware and electronics, software, products available for pre-order, products from the Rosetta Stone Series, Da Vinci Jr 3D Printer, Sphero products, all LEGO® items in the Toys & Games Department (visit www.bn.com/couponexclusions for more details), in-store purchases of Print Magazines, or products marked as not eligible for "coupons or promotional discounts," (iv) not valid on purchases made from third parties accessible from the BN.com website (e.g., used books, etc.); (v) not valid on applicable sales tax or shipping or handling expenses; (vi) may not be combined with any other coupon or some promotional discounts when noted; and (vii) may not be combined with the Educator program discount. This coupon is not valid online at BN.com or at Barnes & Noble College bookstores or websites. Void where prohibited by law."

I plan on stopping assuming that everything is 10% off for everyone (no card needed) just to go. I'll likely then head right over to The Exchange a mile down the road where the prices are lower everyday. It's a safe bet where I'll spend more money & not have a Crosley tote bag. :laugh:

18. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Ellington Uptown for $34.99? Do I need my glasses changed?

19. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

I couldn't get to my BN store yesterday, so I did a "reserve in store" for 2 items -- only to get a phone call telling me that since they are Vinyl Day exclusives they can't hold them. I called the nice person back that left me a message and asked why the release date was listed as 08/12/2016 on the website, and she said that she was just following store policy. It seems very disorganized, to say the least, but I'll see what they have when I get there later on this morning...

20. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

Just to be technical, when you are a member you don't get a COMBINED discount of your membership discount plus a coupon. You get a discount on the discounted price. So on a $20 purchase it isn't $14 ($20-30%=$14)....it's
    $14.40 ($20-10%=$18-20%=$14.40).

21. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Not unlike insurance on products offered at Best Buy,this is basically a license to print money. Imagine folks at the register at Christmastime,full of good cheer(40 proof) and credit cards,buying lots of stuff and thinking:25 bucks? Hey,compared to all this stuff,why not? We'll be in lots of times and I bet that pays off." The bill comes in January and is eventually paid off. Fast forward to next Christmas,the membership is about to expire,unused for 11 months. Chaching! Money in the bank for B&N.
    As for me,I find Groucho Marx and W.C. Fields to guide me:
    Never join a club that would have me as a member.(Marxist Doctrine).
    You can't cheat and honest man. Never give a sucker an even break.(The titles of two Fields classics where he had some control over. Two of the funniest films,ever. Oh,and most of those Marxist films hold up pretty well,especially ,Duck Soup.)

22. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I plan to check it out since there is a store I my neighborhood.

As a lover of music, books, and music books (plus mags) I would be sad to see this chain disappear like Borders and Tower.

SweetTea and JoeF. like this.
  23. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I plan on visiting our local B&N today. I'm almost positive they will have something I need. oops want.

24. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

In looking through my old mails....this seems to be the only one that has excluded vinyl. So, perhaps it's just for their vinyl days sale.

Gaslight likes this.
  25. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Objectively speaking, that would seem to go against the spirit of vinyl day to reserve these in advance.

"come on, man"!

SweetTea likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.