Join Barnes & Noble For Vinyl Day on August 13, 2016

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by pghmusiclover, Aug 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeGriffin

LeeGriffin Forum Resident

2. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes -- there are signs in store that indicate this is so!

LeeGriffin likes this.
  3. Mogens

Mogens Forum Resident

Their sale price is still higher than my local indie record shop price.

4. pghmusiclover

Yes -- but the release date was listed as yesterday (08/12)!

5. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

All vinyl is 10% off....20% off if you're a member.

Just picked up the Van Morrison. It still uses the Steve Hoffman/Kevin Gray mastering. :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

6. Chew

Chew Casual Stalker

I just got back from B&N. I was the only one in the music section of the store. There was no indication that today was any different than any other day (no promotional signs up or anything). Other than the cashier mentioning that today all vinyl is 10% off, it was just another day. He told me The Monkees "Good Times" has been sold out for awhile now (My main reason for going).

7. pghmusiclover

It was time to renew my membership when I checked out today, but it's $25 well spent over the course of a year...

Gaslight likes this.
  8. "R" Ed

"R" Ed Forum Resident

Went to two separate stores and did not see the vinyl that was being released exclusively with them. In fact none of them had the Monkees new vinyl disc which they're suppose to be carrying with the exclusive 45 single. Glad I purchased mine on line but wasted time going to the brick and mortar stores. Had a 15% coupon too which their on line website won't accept :(

9. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

For Boston area members, store in Burlington has U-Turn audio display and demo at the Burlington store (company just up the road in Woburn).

10. Locutus67

Locutus67 Forum Resident

I was there early today & hardly anyone else was. The clerk seemed as excited as stale bread about the whole thing. A couple tried to use the coupon & were denied & they left the records on the counter. I bought the Peter Frampton Acoustics on red & got my 2, yes 2! tote bags & called it a day.
    I mentioned to another clerk that maybe Audio Technica should have been involved since their warehouse is so close. He lit up & bragged how they all shop there all the time & agree that is would have been a great idea. Then he tried to sell me the membership and/or a B&N branded Mastercard so I could save 5%.
    At least I got my tote bags! :laugh: The Crosley logo is very small relative to the rest of the art.

11. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I popped over this afternoon. My store has increased their vinyl section by almost triple and, for the first time since I've ever been in that store, the CD section is now smaller than the vinyl section.

Was chatting with the associate while I was waiting for the album cover contest setup and she mentioned that they had a lot of people in and buying this morning, so that's certainly a good thing. And a family that was there when I was bought like 7 or 8 LP's. 20% off for members = the prices were competitive. I bought a few things because, of course, I'm music crazy.

I'll hang this on my wall proudly btw:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  12. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Just 2 of us in the vinyl section... Very limited signage advertising today was anything special- lost opportunity for B&N. Still, picked up a half dozen at 20% off.
    ATB,
    Mark

13. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Nice. I got one too. I don't give a crap if it says Crosley on it.

Clerk where I was said vinyl outsells CDs, DVD and BR....easily.

Gaslight likes this.
  14. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Just got back from my local Barnes and Nobel empty handed. One person in the vinyl section. And nothing going on. Kind of wish I would have remembered about the acoustic Frampton, but oh well...

15. Glenpwood

Glenpwood Hyperactive!

I am good friends with my local Barnes & Noble manager. He let me read the paperwork corporate sent in about Vinyl Day. The exclusion on this week's coupon was only to ensure there was no double dipping on the discount since loyalty members were getting an extra 10% off beyond the general 10% off on all vinyl today to equal 20%. Things will return to normal with the coupons on the next batch with no exclusions.

jon9091, pghmusiclover and Gaslight like this.
  16. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Makes sense.

17. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

So,a math question. Do they add the percentages before applying the sub total or take then separately? If a ten dollar item is 20% off(10%+10%),the item is $8.00. I they take 10% off of the ten dollars first,it's nine dollars. If they next apply a 10% to the nine,that's $8.10. Now,a dime may not seem like much to someone,but like everything else in corporate,doing that 10,000 times adds up for the company,not the customer.

18. Chew

Chew Casual Stalker

They did it seperately on my purchase today.

19. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

I went around 1:00 pm to my B&N and they were setting up a turntable and a couple of speakers. Tiny vinyl selection and at prices that are more expensive than at my local independent vinyl store so the 10% off didn't count for much. I picked up the hideously expensive Ellington album because I love the Duke. Nobody else was there besides me and they didn't make any announcements in the store to alert people what was going on. Kind of sad, really.

20. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Did my B&N Vinyl Day duty today, grabbed the Harry Potter Deathly Hollows (1) OST & Coldplay Parachutes on colored vinyl. Qualified for the nifty bag as well :).

Yes, the math is correct but it really isn't anything to make a social issue of. So the Man is making an extra penny for every dollar spent, not worth losing any sleep over.

lightbulb likes this.
  21. Calling All Stations

Calling All Stations Forum Resident

Picked up the Empire Strikes Back for $10 cheaper than Amazon's price and a week earlier than standard release. Thank you B&N !

lightbulb and Ambst95 like this.
  22. Ambst95

Ambst95 Member

I picked up Empire as well!!! Also grabbed the Black Keys exclusive and a few other purchases on my wishlist.

Calling All Stations likes this.
  23. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Well, no surprise. The B&N Aoxomoxoa is the original mix.....
    [​IMG]

24. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

My store made several announcements while I was there and even had some special beverage on sale at the cafe in honor of the U Turn guys.

25. TEKWRX

TEKWRX Am I Demon?

Thanks to this thread I decided to pop over to my local B&N. I don't usually shop there because they using don't have the kind of vinyl I buy mostly (Extreme Metal), but I figured what the heck. Looks like they really increased the vinyl shelf space since the last time I was there. I did pick up the new remastered 'Kill 'Em All' and the exclusive gold 'Return Of The Jedi' OST. The music section was dead and I only saw one little Vinyl Day sign on a table.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.