Joint effort between Audio Note UK and Psvane, amazing new 211 and 300B tubes

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Sep 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

F87423E5-F99A-496E-A05E-3739A310C5EB.jpeg 8A57AA32-8E6E-4EA4-BE5E-E9D675CD59A3.jpeg 6E534DDF-29C7-467E-8B6A-7BD420859F05.jpeg Peter Qvortrup of Audio Note UK, one of the most fascinating people I've ever had the pleasure to meet. He is constantly on a quest to manufacture new what was only once possible in the good old days.

In this case, Molybdenum anode 211s, called 4242E's. There is a 300B version also but since I don't have a 300B machine right now, impossible to test but I'm sure they are just as amazing.

Right up front: In my system, these are a lot better than the Elrogs, and that is saying much. In fact, I feel they are better than all but the very, very best of the NOS types, primarily the United Electronics 38111a and the Westinghouse CG1985 (which by the way also has a Molybdenum anode, as does the old WE242E and the STC4242A.) These new old stock tubes are very, very expensive now, almost unobtanium at any price.

So, a few points. This is not an Audio Note UK invention, it is simply a reflection of the fact that they always research history for the best that was made in the past which is really the only way to know whether they are moving forward or not in absolute terms. This is why I love Audio Note and the crazies who work there. No one else in the audio industry does this with any kind of consistency. So all that has happened is that new technology invented for other branches of electronics have been introduced into the audio chain in the mistaken belief that new is better. Not always true.

I received two of these 211 beauties, directly from the UK and they are from a special batch, a beta test batch of 50 pieces that have now been confirmed to work reliably and sound consistent. Now Audio Note have 1,000 pieces on order and are exclusive to Audio Note UK under an agreement with Psvane, hence the small badge inside the glass showing the Audio Note logo and a serial number. A nice touch.

Let me remind you all that I love Psvane tubes. I used four of their 211's in my older AN UK amps (now with @Warren Jarrett at the "Audio Home") and I never had an issue with them. In fact, I have recommended them for a long time. No firecrackers these. So this union with Audio Note UK is exciting for me. The PRICE of these is also exciting. More on that in a minute.

Molybdenum is extremely hard and difficult to work with, it has a melting point over 3,500 degrees centigrade so very specialized tooling is needed to form it and the cost of starting production is substantial and a good barrier to entry so to speak, but Audio Note will no doubt see copyists having a go, as they always do. Beware of those when they show up (as they will.)

So as a result of this, the thickness of the plate can vary. This makes some samples glow red because the plate is slightly thinner than other samples, therefore please note that this is not an issue as far as reliability is concerned! Just a pretty color.

Audio Note UK will be offering these for sale at around $ 280.00 each or $ 560.00 for a matched pair. That's the deal of a lifetime.

These will be offered through the AN dealer and distributor network worldwide. Note that the 1,000 piece batch will not be ready for another 30 – 60 days, as AN has only just finished testing the beta samples to approve and placed the order. Same, I would imagine, for the 300B version.

Audio Note knows why Molybdenum sounds better, it is the same reason that silver sounds better and it has taken years of AN's research into molecular and crystaline structures in many different metals to gain a deeper understanding of this. It's what they live for over there. They do the work, we reap the benefits.

Obviously I'm an Audio Note UK fanboy unabashed. They actually take the time to do proper research into what makes the sound different and better. I don't think anyone else does this in the audio industry much, so when people complain that what AN UK makes is soooo overpriced they really have no idea what the hell they are talking about, and that especially includes their competitors. Rant over.

Recap:

So, if you have an amplifier of any make that uses a 211 radio transmitting tube or a 300B type tube (valve), contact your Audio Note UK dealer and grab these. They are NOT expensive, they sound amazing, and they won't blow up. Did I say they sound amazing?

2. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

They look purty.

3. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

Is the price quoted for the 300Bs?

4. Steve Hoffman

No, just the 211's but I'm sure the 300B version will be close.

5. tomd

tomd Senior Member

They wouldn’t be interested in doing EL34’s would they?

crooner, bluemooze and Ilovefooty like this.
  6. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I use Psvane valves (small driver) in my Lamms and would be interested in the 300Bs for my other amps (Welborne Lab Laurel IIx) where I am currently using WE 300B. Anything around $600 for a tube that compares favourably with the Western Electric is a great deal. I really appreciate the info.

7. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

Great! It's good to see someone bring out such a nice tube at a reasonable price.

8. LC2A3

LC2A3 Well-Known Member

Cool, I've been thinking about picking up some Psvane 2A3s

9. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

marka and doak like this.
  10. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

11. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I wonder if they are planning to release any other types of tubes with Molybdenum anodes... That would be pretty exciting news if they are!

12. Steve Hoffman

I think that they are a pain in the butt to make so....

TarnishedEars likes this.
  13. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

Like I said elsewhere - I am now more considering the Jinro as a power amp for my M3 preamp. The Empress Silver Signatures are my front runner - if Peter makes a 211 and 300B he may follow with the 2a3 - I suppose it depends on how many 2a3 amps he sells versus his 300B amps - The 300B is more popular (I am not sure why as most everyone I know winds up preferring the 2a3 over the 300B - Including Peter).

I checked the weight - Jinro is 85lbs - so quite a beastly amplifier. Though it is 30lbs lighter than my last amplifier so I might be able to move the thing around.

The Empress Silver Signature Monoblocks are 44lbs per amplifier.

And then there is the level 4 Neiro 2a3 which is one level above Jinro for around the same price but only 7 watts per channel.

AN doesn't make the choice easy because I like the sound of the 211 and 2a3 the best.

Nascimento Brasil likes this.
  14. Steve Hoffman

I've had Empress monoblocks here and the Jinro. The Empress has more of a detailed sound, more top. Works on some things, not everything. The Jinro is more neutral sounding. I'm a big fan of the 211 valve. The 2A3 is thinner sounding, more hi-fi, less accurate.

15. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

No, but they sound really good anyway.

SandAndGlass and TarnishedEars like this.
  16. doak

doak Senior Member

17. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

Just for fun I clicked on the mableaudio site linked above by member @doak and in the search I put "572-10", another bright thoriated-tungsten type of power tube my amp uses which is no longer made (by Svetlana). The results just said "coming soon..."

18. doak

doak Senior Member

I wouldn’t doubt the “coming soon” pops up for anything they do not currently stock.

I’ve tried (and still own) at least a dozen sets (4) of mostly NOS and some current output tunes in my Quicksilver Mono amps. The above noted tubes are, by far, my favorites. This set has been in constant use for over 2 years. Will be ordering another quad shortly to have on hand in preparation for the inevitable.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  19. Sheppard

Sheppard Well-Known Member

Steve,
    Thanks for this information. Have you had a chance to compare these new Audio Note UK/Psvane 4242E's to the RCA 211 Radiotrons?

20. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

You're killing me Steve hahaha - the Jinro is a pretty big price hike up the ladder from Empress - but as with most things Audio Note you get what you pay for. I actually agree with Peter's order of tubes for sound quality - 211 then 45 then 2a3 and then 300b

The 45 I could see being first place if the speakers were higher efficiency than what AN offers. The weight and thunder of the Jinro I heard last week from the M3 was impressive - plenty of sparkle in the treble. They sold their Empress amps so I could not compare. I'll have to wait longer for a Jinro though - patience - patience!!

21. The Chinese are currently making some awesome tubes that sound-wise equals or best most NOS tubes that cost a leg and an arm. I have a matched pair in a box of Psvane 12AX7 MK II and they sound great on my Phono preamp but NOS apart I've found another current production Chinese tube brand that at least for 12AX7 and 12AU7 make outstanding tubes, that is TJ Full Music. I'm currently using a pair of matched TJ Full Music 12AX7 on my Phono preamp and I love their sound, they've made me forget about NOS tubes and 'though I'm more than set for life of my favourite Japanese NOS tubes (Hitachi 7025, Hit Ray 12AX7/12AU7, Matsushita 12AX7/12AU7) I got another pair of the TJ Full Music 12AX7 as they are becoming scarce and I want to have a spare pair.
    Here's the link for them just in case somebody's interested. This seller used to sell on eBay but he no longer sells there and his products can be bought through Aiexpress:
    PAPRI vacío para 12AX7 ECC83 HIFI Audio TJ Fullmusic tubo HiFi reemplazo preamplificador amplificador Lot/2 piezas en Amplificador de Electrónica en AliExpress.com | Alibaba Group [​IMG]

SinnerSaint likes this.
  22. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I liked the Full Music 300B "meshies" and owned 2 pairs. They replaced KRs. But the recent production Western Electric sounded better in my amp. I am pretty interested in the Psvane 300Bs - if only to prolong the life of the WEs.

SinnerSaint, doak and Kiko1974 like this.
  23. Did you like the TJ Full Music 300B? From 0 to 10 what mark would you give it? Does Western Electric make signal tubes like 12AX7 and 12AU7?

24. Steve Hoffman

I have the Meshplates, etc. and all of the Chinese equivalents and liked most of them very much. The only problem I have with them is that they sound nothing like a true WE 300b. Have not heard the WE reissues from recently but the ones from like 2002 sound damn good, much like the old etched base WE 300b's of the 1930s. The Chinese 300b's all sound great and I've used them all at one time or another, but they are more "Hi-Fi" sounding than a (more bland) actual WE 300b. In fact, many people don't actually like the true WE version, having been used to the Chinese types. Nothing wrong with that. I'm curious to hear what AN and Psvane come up with.

25. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Weren't the new WE reissues announced to start selling this month?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.