Joker - 2019 Film*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by neo123, Aug 22, 2017.

1. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Peter Sellers walking on the lake...

2. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Just watched this. I liked it soooo much better than "The Dark Knight." Great flick. Amazing acting.

milankey, cwd, Chrome_Head and 2 others like this.
  3. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

4. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

But it contains the first real-time presentation of a seminal "death scene" that's referenced in every Batman movie.
    What a stupid film review.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    Vidiot likes this.
  5. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

Completely forgettable story. I saw it a few months ago and just had to go read a recap to remind myself what happened.

badfinger54 and alexpop like this.
  6. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

and? (regarding your reference to the death scene and not the review of the review).

7. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

when I read a study I try to study the studiers, especially in social, psychological, and similar topics.

8. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Only "real violence?" The one I saw had extra scenes then, but omitted the one where we see him slaughter the psychiatrist. Gotta track down that version.

9. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Is this an ok place to bring up the hints about Joker 2?

10. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

I say sure.

11. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

OK, some rumors from involved parties of a Joker 2-including hints Phoenix is on board. I'm not sure about how I feel about it-perhaps my favorite movie of all time, or at least what I think is my personal best, although I cant watch it too often. I don't know where it goes from here. First, I don't think this Joker has shown the ability to be a successful serial killer and evade capture long, much less a crime boss or crime lord or whatever. Second, it seems inevitable that the movie deal with The Batman, and I thought Joker succeeded without any Batman intertwining-the names and some of the background was there for young Bruce, but not the whole superhero baggage. Maybe Joker is released or escapes, starts random violence, and Detective Bruce Wayne, or maybe Special Agent Bruce Wayne, who devoted himself to law enforcement after murder of his parents, even buying his way into service despite physical or mental infirmities, works the cases.

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Bruce was only about 11 or 12 when his parents were killed in the alley. It's not impossible for Joker to only be in the asylum for 4-5 years before escaping, and then Bruce would not be in a position to stop him in a sequel. Otherwise, it turns into the Gotham TV series -- teenage Bruce Wayne "before he turns into Batman" -- which has been done before.

13. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

I see your point about the age discrepancy and believe I've pointed that out myself in earlier discussion. And I neither predicting this approach nor advocating it-in fact, supra, I am ambivalent at best about a sequel. But if it is "possible" to be in 4-5 years, I guess it is "possible" to be in another decade, right? And that would start getting into the workable realm for that idea, if it gets made and if it went that way. I'll take your word about Gotham-I don't watch TV series since Breaking Bad and Mad Men ended.

14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Thought it was rubbish myself.

jwstl likes this.
  15. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Too busy sulking in my room...

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  16. Charlie DJ

Charlie DJ Forum Resident

Maybe Arthur can imagine himself as the Riddler next time :hide:

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Ah, you're missing a lot. Some of the greatest TV series of the past 50 years were done just in the last decade. If you liked Breaking Bad, you should be watching Better Call Saul (as just one of many examples).

yesstiles and GentleSenator like this.
  18. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

I don't ever want to see another "Pearl" scene.

19. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

So all these reviewers are coloring their opinion of Joker with the presumption that it is "political?" Or more importantly, "political" in a way they don't like? Bollocks to them. That's absurd. What a bunch of worthless twats.

It's a character study plain and simple. And a chance to watch a master artist work his craft. I had no intention of seeing this movie cause I'm not a fan of all the silly comic-book franchises. But I appreciated the wonderful acting and the engaging tone of this movie.

George P likes this.
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Take it up with the published critics. I enjoyed Joker quite a bit, and I thought it was an extremely well-made film. I totally get why it did so well and made over a billion dollars. Still, it's interesting that it's only at a 68% on Rotten Tomatoes, so clearly the critics are divided on it.

After the events of this week, the rioting and anti-government moments near the end of the film are sobering, and some may choose to judge it in a different context. I look it as a fantasy film inspired by some of the darker times of the 1980s, and I think it's a very interesting, sobering story told in a masterful way with a lot of style.

Playloud, yesstiles and aorecords like this.
  21. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The Joker sequel has a title & release date.

Variety:

Joker: Folie a Deux to be released on Oct 4, 2024.

The upcoming “Joker” sequel is set to be a musical. Director Todd Phillips posted the screenplay’s cover to Instagram on June 7, revealing the “Folie à Deux” subtitle.

Lady Gaga confirmed her casting in “Joker 2” by posting a musical teaser to social media. The sequel, officially titled “Joker: Folie à Deux,” will star Gaga opposite Joaquin Phoenix.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  22. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

They must have literally backed up several dump trucks of cash to Phoenix’s front door to get him to return for this.

BeatleJWOL and Deuce66 like this.
  23. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The first one grossed $1.074 Billion worldwide. I can't imagine he's doing another one for less than $20 million.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  24. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Most likely Gaga will play Harley Quinn? They're not saying that and will probably keep us guessing until 2024. I guess if it is a musical anything could happen.

25. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

I loved Joker, but as soon as I heard there was going to be a sequel I was a little nervous it was going to be a big letdown compared to the first. Now that I hear it's going to be a musical, even more so. I think what made the original so great is that it was an in depth character study of a villain that we've all known for decades. That's what made it so compelling for me anyway. Now that they don't have that wealth of interesting material to draw from, I'm fearful that it's just going to be another comic book film, and that doesn't interest me in the slightest. That said, I adore Joaquin Phoenix, so I'm sure I'll check it out when it's released.

maui jim, Chrome_Head and brownie61 like this.