Joker - 2019 Film*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by neo123, Aug 22, 2017.

1. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Oh yeah, forgot about South Park:righton:.

2. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Maybe the musical will have a down tempo dark operatic tone to match the original movie which to me came across as a darker Gothic version of Taxi Driver. I'm not a fan of musicals either but I'm willing to check out a musical version of "Joker" hoping it won't be a joke.

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That's one of the odder statements I've seen on this board. :wtf:

Walt, wolfram, RichardG and 2 others like this.
  4. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

No odder than your statement claiming Wings Over America is the Best Live Album ever, which I just replied to in that Thread being such a ridiculous statement:laugh:.

MichaelH likes this.
  5. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

There are all types of musicals. big difference between Gaga's "A Star Is Born" and Spielberg's "West Side Story"

AndyTaylor likes this.
  6. Oatsdad

Yeah, I think the implication that every gay male likes musicals is weirder than my affection for an album.

7. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I love musicals. I would say the same thing even if I was a Buddhist dentist from Belgium.
    Most of the things happening in movies aimed at entertainment don't happen in everyday life, so I guess you can't stand the majority of films (Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Action, Horror, Comedy, Martial Arts, etc.).

Oatsdad likes this.
  8. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I’m straight, but I only like gay musicals.
    This thread went very weird…

RichardG, wolfram and Oatsdad like this.
  9. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

The only musicals I like are Hamilton and South Pacific. I’m not sure where that leaves me.

10. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Technically you're correct, but some of us watch a movie for its story line and character development which requires a level of credibility to follow along for an hour and a half. The more serious and realistic the story and acting, the more I'm drawn in. If someone breaks out in song as a way to express the way they feel about another character then it's no longer staying true to the written narrative of the story. This is why I think the tone of a Joker musical should come across more operatic which functions as a translator of the narrative into expressionism.

The overall tone has to have something to make breaking out in song is not part of the realism but part of say a dream like sequence or something that makes sense.

11. Oatsdad

"A Star Is Born" isn't really a musical in the standard sense.

It's a movie that has musical performances in them, but they're organic to the story.

The characters don't sing and dance as part of the narrative elements.

12. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Up a monsoon without a pistol?

Etienne Hanratty likes this.
  13. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

The only musicals I like are Andrew Lloyd Webber's and Disney stuff. One of the worst movie's I've ever had the displeasure of seeing on the big screen was The Greatest Showman. I didn't know it was a musical until people started singing in it. I assumed it was a circus movie about the life of PT Barnum, so I was expecting circus scene after circus scene, not a corny love story with God awful songs and some of the worst singing I've ever heard.

AndyTaylor likes this.
  14. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

decided to rewatch it , Phoenix is really crushing it here all the accolades are worthy

Such visceral performance , music and cinematography are also fantastic

agaraffa and Chris DeVoe like this.
  15. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

btw , when Phoenix puts on the clown makeup in the end , having been mesmerized by his incredible performance, i was thinking to myself that he would kill it as Gene Simmons in a Kiss biography

when Joker dances (at the stairs etc) he is truly a demented rock star , very magnetic presence

the soundtrack is also amazing , are there other albums i should check out by the composer of Joker ?

cwd and Stormrider77 like this.
  16. AndyTaylor

AndyTaylor Forum Resident

Yeah it was garbage.

MichaelH likes this.
  17. wondergrape

wondergrape Forum Resident

I'm a Gay Male, but I hate musicals and love Wings Over America.

18. user931

user931 Well-Known Member

It was a good movie. I mostly enjoyed it.

19. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

fantastic 'behind the scenes' , i only wish it was longer than 20 minutes , i could watch clip like this for hours

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.