Joker - 2019 Film*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by neo123, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Considering that a grown-up Sugar & Spike have appeared in the comics...

2. Solitaire1

That is the basic guide I follow when it comes to comic book movies (wait and see the movie itself before I decide). I remember the reaction to the casting of Michael Keaton as Batman, but he ended up being a very good Batman.

3. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Is this supposed to be connected to the current DC movie universe? Is there even a DC universe now?

4. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Not connected.

Joker (2019 film) - Wikipedia

Joker is an upcoming American psychological thriller film based on the DC Comics character of the same name. Distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures, it is intended to launch DC Black, a series of DC-based films separate from the DC Extended Universe (DCEU). The film is directed by Todd Phillips from a screenplay co-written with Scott Silver and stars Joaquin Phoenix as the Joker, alongside Robert De Niro, Zazie Beetz, and Frances Conroy. Set in 1981, Joker follows Arthur Fleck, a failed stand-up comedian who is driven insane and turns to a life of crime and chaos in Gotham City.

Development of a standalone Joker film began in 2016 and was confirmed in August 2017 after Warner Bros. and DC Films decided to deemphasize the shared nature of the DCEU. Phillips was set to direct, produce, and co-write the script—inspired by Martin Scorsese's films Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, and The King of Comedy—with Silver. Scorsese was attached to produce early in production but left due to other obligations. Phoenix became attached to the project in February 2018 and was cast that July, and the majority of the cast had signed on by August. Principal photography began in September 2018, taking place in New York City, Jersey City, and Newark and concluded the following December.

Joker will premiere at the 76th Venice International Film Festival on August 31, 2019, and is scheduled to be theatrically released in the United States on October 4, 2019.

GodShifter likes this.
  5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Seems there's a new one every Summer now...and yet they still have to re-jigger it if something happens on a television version that starts getting traction...:doh:

6. Dillydipper

So, this is gonna be based on the famous character from the Bicycle Playing Cards then, huh...:rolleyes:

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

looking forward to this...it went fast! a few more months left...

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  8. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Ugh. Each to their own on that one I guess. Keaton is a much better actor now than he was then. He was certainly a very short Batman. That much I will concede.

9. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

And will be available worldwide online September 1, 2019.

I don’t know if they intentionally did this to create buzz about the film knowing that it is a “good” film that people will want to see in the theatres, or if they are just stupid.

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And they cancelled the Krypton TV show, too... not that anybody was watching it.

Superman Prequel 'Krypton' Canceled at Syfy

11. Dillydipper

That is, of course, because I was watching it. You're welcome, Krypton fans..:wave:

The good news however, is, now that they're not doing it, that's less history to revise and confuse generations of fans who already thought they knew the story...:rolleyes:

12. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

I have pretty much zero interest in superhero movies. I didn't grow up reading comics and I barely know any of the characters, especially beyond the big 3 (Super, Spider and Bat).

But this looks pretty interesting. Maybe it's because I like The King Of Comedy.

Ghostworld likes this.
  13. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I suggest reading or watching The Killing Joke movie
    Before you see this movie.

14. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

If you are watching the Killing Joke movie, skip the Batgirl prologue.

15. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Thank you!
    And people bitched about Heath being casted when he was first announced.

Also, Keaton is still the best Batman (with Bale as the best Bruce Wayne)

Motorcity supernaut likes this.
  16. Solitaire1

I respectfully disagree about Bale as Bruce Wayne. I think that Michael Keaton's strength in the movie was playing Bruce Wayne.

However, the very best Batman is Kevin Conroy (the voice of Batman in the Animated DC Universe, he's been the voice of Batman for over 25 years). Although he doesn't get as much credit because he hasn't appeared on screen, I think that will soon change when he is going to appear as Bruce Wayne (I suspect he going to appear on a Earth based on Batman Beyond which features a retired Batman) in the upcoming Crisis On Infinite Earths event in the Arrowverse.

17. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Batman: The Animated Series is still the best portrayal of Batman.

I have heard it said that anyone can put on the Batsuit. It is how they play Bruce Wayne that is the key.

My favorite live action Batman is Christian Bale.

18. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

After watching the second trailer, I can't say I'm any more persuaded to see this. The use of "Send in the Clowns" at the end is, again, so on the nose that I cringed. Joaquin Phoenix looks great, I'll give you that, but the rest...meh.

Jason Manley likes this.
  19. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Hollywood Reporter review

'Joker': Film Review | Venice 2019

The clown prince of crime is alive and mentally unwell in Gotham City in Todd Phillips' grippingly atmospheric supervillain origin story, Joker. While a never-better Joaquin Phoenix paints on the famed maniacal smile with his own blood at one memorable climactic moment of messianic rebirth, what's most noteworthy about this gritty entry in the DC canon and the lead actor's sensational performance is the pathos he brings to a pathetically disenfranchised character — just like countless others in a metropolis in which the social chasm separating the haves from the have-nots has become a pit of incendiary rage.

But this is Phoenix's film, and he inhabits it with an insanity by turns pitiful and fearsome in an out-there performance that's no laughing matter. Not to discredit the imaginative vision of the writer-director, his co-scripter and invaluable tech and design teams, but Phoenix is the prime force that makes Joker such a distinctively edgy entry in the Hollywood comics industrial complex.

Jason Manley likes this.
  20. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Nice.Phoenix is a great actor.
    I could also see Michael Shannon do the Joker

21. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

22. Does anyone know if there's any truth to the rumour I've read about this film originally being a long-rejected standalone idea that only had the Joker character shoehorned into it (along with Joaquin Phoenix in its lead role) because WB recognised its potential as a DC villain origin story that could not only rejuvenate its flagship cinematic franchise, but clean up during award season? The early reviews indicate that it may be successful in achieving both of these goals, though I deliberately avoided even scanning the leaked script so that I could go into this one without any preconceptions...

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

24. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Adam. West.

25. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

IGN gave it a perfect 10/10 masterpiece score, very rare from them:
    Joker Review - IGN

My husband is very excited to see this. He's a big Joker fan. We'll be seeing it in theaters at release.

Stormrider77 and George P like this.