Joker - 2019 Film*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by neo123, Aug 22, 2017.

1. neo123

neo123 Senior Member Thread Starter

Many reviews I've read so far have said Phoenix could be an early contender for Oscar nominations.

2. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

That’s great, because the Batman is not a superhero. And the Joker is not a ‘super villain.’ Neither have any super powers.

Both are very human, and very flawed characters with many insecurities and imperfections. Which make them, in my opinion, very relatable. And when executed properly, they make great movies and great animated TV shows.

Murph, Shawn, Zoot Marimba and 3 others like this.
  3. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

:shh:

Chris DeVoe and Zoot Marimba like this.
  4. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

This was the trailer I viewed.
    Joker looks totally engrossing! :righton:
    Heath Ledger's performance brought the sociopathic Joker to new levels of sinister darkness & depravity, perfect for "The Dark Knight". Brilliant performance.
    Joaquin Phoenix continues this representation of the Joker & he seems to have been born for this role. He's another method actor, who transmogrified to Johnny Cash in "Walk The Line". This performance looks to be riveting!

I rate the trailer 10/10! :):thumbsup:

5. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Looking forward to see this. But I also feel like this Joker is much more of a crazy clown. Heath Ledger's character didn't feel clownish at all...

6. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

I saw the trailer at an IMAX screening of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I thought it looked amazing and something I definitely wanted to see. The reviews posted so far are looking good but this one in Little White Lies is totally at odds with the rest and pulls no punches: "Todd Phillips’ wannabe edgy comic book origin story falls flat on every conceivable level." A quote from that review:

"It craves that viewers draw a connection to Martin Scorsese’s 1982 masterpiece The King of Comedy and, to a slightly lesser extent, 1976’s Taxi Driver. And its toadying relationship to those films may ultimately be its undoing, in that it sits clawing at the trouser hem of some of those towering examples of modern film art. It misappropriates, misreads and maybe even misremembers key themes and cack-handedly mangles mischievous ambiguities into a ham-fisted character shading. Robert De Niro turns up to consecrate the bond, the big twist being he is unspeakably awful in the supporting role of a flashy late night TV host."

I'll be interested to see whether or not the trailer lives up to it's initial promise.

Carl80 likes this.
  7. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Unfortunately, that's going to happen anyway...not just with Superman but with the entire DC Universe. There have been so many revisions that even the simplest question often ends up taking paragraphs to answer. A simple example: When did Superman and Lex Luthor first meet? Just some of the answers (each has been valid at a certain point):

- In Europe where Lex was an arms dealer during WWII
    - In Smallville as teenagers where they were best friends until the accident that cost Lex his hair
    - In Metropolis as adults with Luthor as one of the richest men in the world (he wasn't bald but was balding and took to shaving his head after Lois Lane made a comment that he was starting to look like Fred Mertz).
    - In Smallville as teenagers, Luthor later hid this part of his life
    - As adults with Luthor as an Army scientist who was leading a team that was experimenting on a captured Superman

8. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

This just took the top prize at the Venice Film Festival.

Shalom, y’all!

L. Bangs

willy likes this.
  9. George P

George P Notable Member

Gettin really really excited about this film!!

Joachim was superb in You Were Never Really Here.

agaraffa likes this.
  10. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

True dat. Dat said, I've been really enjoying Brian Michael Bendis' current writing on the flagship Kryptonian book. He and his dad(!) are having a spat, because while the whole Phantom Zone just opened up, Jor took his kid for a "Summer trip" into space...and he came back three weeks later, having aged past puberty (gonna be soooooo awkward when Kara visits for Thanksgiving...!). AND, he and Zod are going to have to team up...:eek:

I'm really thinkin' Krypto is the only one who gets what the heck's goin' on here...

11. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

So what happened to Leto or Dafoe playing the Joker?

12. neo123

Leto's Joker story is different than this one.

Dafoe never was considered. Someone made a conceptual edited video (very well made) compiled from various Dafoe movie scenes.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Joaquin Phoenix is a very gifted actor. I've yet to see him in anything really bad. He remains one a handful of actors that if he does something, I'll see it. If the script is good (which it looks like it is), I'll be very satisfied. Believe it or not, I've never seen The King of Comedy and Taxi Driver only once (I liked it, but have never gotten around to seeing it again). How does this movie relate to TKoC?

Rick Sanchez and Dayfold like this.
  14. neo123

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Ghostworld and Rick Sanchez like this.
  15. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

It's the 'loser that wishes he were a somebody' theme - both characters are desperate to be succesful stand-up comedians and both are somewhat deranged. In The King of Comedy, De Niro's character Rupert Pupkin goes to extraordinary lengths to perform his routine on his hero Jerry Langford's (Jerry Lewis) Late Show. The Joker highlights this connection by casting De Niro in the role of a late night tv show host, a role in which he is 'unspeakably awful' according to that Little White Lies review I posted above. Harsh but fair? We'll see I suppose :)

Stormrider77, daca and GodShifter like this.
  16. I have little to no interest in superhero movies these days. I think the last one I saw was probably Batman Begins (2005) , and before that, the first Toby Maguire Spiderman film (2002).

That said, I saw a preview-trailer for his Joker origins movie, and I have to confess I was a little intrigued. Maybe because it was a period piece? Maybe because it wasn't 16 tons of CGI??

Anyway, maybe I might go see this on a whim.

Ghostworld and neo123 like this.
  17. roblog

roblog “Yeah” (John Wick)

Does anyone know when tickets will be on sale. Fandango has nothing. There is a 4D theater her in midtown Manhattan - I'm there once it goes on sale.

18. neo123

19. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

Whether or not this turns out to be a turkey the aftermath will be fun :-popcorn:

Fortunately nothing :)

20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

21. George P

George P Notable Member

:bigeek:

22. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Sounds like it's going to be great BUT....isn't a Batman-less Joker just a guy in a clown outfit? I get the impression that Joaquin and co. aren't too keen on being part of the DCU. Jeez, why would he be balking at the opportunity to work with Robert Pattinson and Jonah Hill!?;) Hey, you can call him the Joker til yr blue in the face but... no Batman, no Joker!

23. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Talk of the soundtrack on Facebook very interesting today. I'm already considering the planned vinyl.

24. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

If that happened and he won, then The Joker would be the second character to score an Oscar for two different actors (first being Vito Corleone)

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  25. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I am into a lot of superheroes but the fact that Batman, while a total badass, is still a man is at least partly why I take him over the others.