Jon Anderson Album Poll & Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Aar Gal, Mar 30, 2020.

1. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

i've got it what is there is pretty solid(aside from the ridiculous birdsong one) but he never finished it so for a long time I had a half full box. I eventually just decided to shove all my other Jon Anderson things into it so its half uniform half random other CDs.

also I will throw my support in for friends of mr cairo over short stories though I love both of em.

EddieMann and Rufus rag like this.
  2. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Saw that tour & remember the YES medley sending shivers down my spine. Luckily there's some decent radio shows available. Just wish the live performance from Rockpalast gets an official release like many other shows from that programme.

The Bishop likes this.
  3. Vinyl Kix

Vinyl Kix Forum Resident

I'm partial to In the City of Angels & Toltec. I have City of Angels on vinyl and I enjoy several of the songs on that album. As for Toltec, I enjoy his themed album for this one, and it's a nice quiet relaxing album to listen to at night!

4. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

I didn’t vote because I don’t have enough of his albums. One album that I’ll give a nod too that doesn’t get love is City Of Angels, which I adore. Yes, it is awash in 80s over production and synths, and some would call it cheesy, but it is such an overwhelming positive album. I find it so uplifting and soothing, and it is so contrary to the emotional tone to 99 percent of popular music. It holds a special place for me because it is so sunny and always makes me feel better about life and the human condition.

SRC likes this.
  5. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I prefer most of Jon's solo work to either the other Yes members' solo work or the Yes material without him - apart from Drama & The Steve Howe Album

6. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

That's a really nice description and reason for liking a record. I used to have that LP but got rid of it long ago. Think you only need the first three. Olias is a miracle of a record, and haven't heard another quite like it. Like City of Angels it is soothing and uplifting. I feel transformed every time I listen to it. Forget about the juvenile space concept and embrace the sublime music. Many have wondered how Jon even made this record. It's quite complex, densely layered and expertly made. Jon blew himself out making it. I love the record to death.

Songs of Seven also has similar soothing qualities and lots of positivity. Jon starts bringing more pop elements and the cheese also starts. A few clunkers, but the ambitious side two has brought tears to my eyes. Think the production and and sounds could be stronger but an excellent album over all.

Animation is a amazingly well produced album with many excellent musicians giving their best. Clem Clempson and Simon Phillips really shine. Great synth textures and playing. Like Songs of Seven a few twee pop missteps, but forgiven considering the sheer joy they exude. The longer suite also gets me weepy and is also quite muscular and powerful.

Fans also like his newest 1000 hands, but have not really liked what I've heard. Jon's albums can be had for next to nothing on the second hand market, but I'm sure he and Esoteric would love it if people bought the new remasters which are supposed to be quite good.

7. I was listening to Olias today and while I like the music, I can’t say I’m crazy about the mix. Jon’s lyrics are almost impossible to hear clearly through the dense mix. A shame, as the story seems interesting.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    tug_of_war likes this.
  8. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

Song of Seven is very good side 2 is a lost masterpiece.
    Also for a JA pop album "in the city of Angels" is pretty good. Considering Jon just left Yes to do more prog less pop it's a little confusing that he did this but I enjoy it.

Rufus rag and tug_of_war like this.
  9. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

The mix is dreadful it's one of those albums that's frustrating to listen to because of what it could have been. He should of had Chris squire mix it, his fish out of water album sonically is perfect !

tug_of_war and Pete Puma like this.
  10. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

Great album I agree it took me years to like it but now it's one of my favorites very positive album

11. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

Mr Cairo can be hit or miss album but that song Mayflower is stunning maybe his and Vangelis best work

12. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Agreed. It's about time this album gets a decent mix.

Pete Puma likes this.
  13. tug_of_war

Agreed! So glad to see some love for this album.
    Jon, all by himself, wrote a much better album than his former band did that same year (and I like Drama).

Rufus rag and Lexhibit like this.
  14. Progatron

Progatron Wealthy industrialist philanthropist & bicyclist

Olias, Animation, The Living Tree, Survival And Other Stories, 1000 Hands. But if Open was officially released beyond a YouTube video, that would be probably third place.

15. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

Yes Song of seven side 2 makes some of drama sound pedestrian I liked drama also. Dramas good but missing that epic yessong and it ain't machine messiah

Rufus rag and tug_of_war like this.
  16. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Wow, I had no idea that an album I've loved forever and played a billion times had a crappy mix

Lexhibit likes this.
  17. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Olías and Short Stories for me. The rest? Meh.

18. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

Good point, never thought of that, it's like yessongs sounds like it was mixed in a cardboard box but I still love it and listened to it probably 1000 times without complaint.

jmcecil likes this.
  19. tug_of_war

It can happen to anyone. It's ok.

curbach likes this.
  20. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Oh good. I feel better now I'm not alone in listening and loving records for decades, that it turns out they sound dreadful.

21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Cairo
    Private Collection

Rufus rag likes this.
  22. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Olias -- obviously
    Private Collection -- beautiful record and singing
    The Friends Of Mr Cairo -- mostly good

Can't recall hearing the others.

--Geoff

23. tug_of_war

It's not that it sounds dreadful, but there are few parts where the mixing could be better. Anyway, it's just an opinion, you don't have to take it seriously.

Pete Puma likes this.
  24. jmcecil

jmcecil Analog Jitter

I picked his collaborations. with vangelis. Jon desperately needs arrangers and stronger instrumentalists to fix his hippy dippy repetitive tendencies.

tug_of_war likes this.
  25. jmcecil

jmcecil Analog Jitter

All 3 vangelis collabs are excellent.

sentinel90125 and Maltman like this.