Jon Povey (Pretty Things) R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bhazen, May 9, 2023.

1. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB Thread Starter

Just heard from Wally Waller, that Jon Povey has passed away. No details, but I'd heard he was suffering from cancer.

A very sad day in my home, and in Prettyworld.

Last edited: May 9, 2023
  2. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

3. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]

Sad news. He was a funny guy and used to post quite a bit on Facebook and in the Pretty Things groups.

4. iggyd

iggyd Forum Resident

A very, very sad day indeed. I knew he had been ill (he posted this on FB).
    We were Face Book "friends" and he seemed like a very nice gentleman, we chatted several times via the internet.
    And as for his talent, that is without question. He was a big part of how the Pretty Things reached such heights.
    I'll be playing SF Sorrow, Parachute, Cross Talk ..... oh hell, I'll play them ALL in his memory.
    The Pretty Things are one of my touchstone bands, I've been listening since the mid 70s & I love everything they ever recorded.
    RIP Jon, and thank you for all the wonderful music.
    Condolences to his family and friends, I have a heavy heart tonight.

The MEZ, finslaw, pscreed and 5 others like this.
  5. Aw man. Great vocalist and keyboard player for a legendary band. RIP.

6. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Sad news. Have enjoyed his work many times with The Fenmen and Pretties and will many times more. :cry:

cwitt1980, longdist01 and Mark Wilson like this.
  7. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

RIP Jon Povey, very sad news today...

Thank you for all your artistic, creative, musical gifts shared with us, another amazing and talented artist - too soon gone!

Condolences to family, friends and so many of your fans.

iggyd likes this.
  8. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

Mike Stax posted this on the Ugly Things Insta page a few hours ago:
    [​IMG]

chodad, cwitt1980, YardByrd and 7 others like this.
  9. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

:cry:

longdist01 and bhazen like this.
  10. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

RIP… key member of one of the greatest rock and roll bands ever. A sad day.

11. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

For a bit of history:

Just today, not knowing this sad news, I listened to a collection I made of the latter Pretty Things years and I noted how tuneful Jon Povey's tunes were, especially It's No Disgrace (9:14 in the video below) and 2012's Here We Go Again (31:20.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI98ThomdCA&t

Otherwise, terrible news, I've heard his voice so often he almost feels like family. Jon and Wally joined a band in 1966 whose hits had all but dried up, and even though their fortunes would not be reversed, their creative peaks were all ahead of them. Jon Povey, even more than Wally Waller, was there for all of the changes. Jon was undeniable glue, his high pitched voice making for a great harmony stew, and then taking lead vocal quite often on songs like I See You, Parachute and Walk Away. Jon's brotherhood with Wally is quite touching, both recording music together well into their twilight years. This truly sucks right now. Jon has now joined Phil, Pete and Gordon. They all left behind a musical legacy still waiting to be discovered by the masses, though I'm not sure why it is taking so long.

Last edited: May 10, 2023
  12. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

Thought I'd leave this remake, Jon's voice unmistakable and revealing how tasteful him and Wally were late in life. I recommend the CD Sunstroke by The Fenmen. It occupies a curious place compiling Wally and Jon's mid-60's Pre-Pretties tracks with 7 newer 2010 tracks and it all somehow feels cohesive. I hope Jon's album was close to finished, and I am sure Wally will have something say (or sing) about Jon. The Pretty Things are a band where even with some bad blood they find closure through music:

Jon's song about Pete Tolson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpvOwdribps
    Wally's tribute to Phil during the pandemic covering the first song they wrote together: The Sun.
    Phil's song about their madman drummer Vivian Prince, as well as whomever Drowning Man and Whiskey Song were about.

bhazen, beccabear67 and iggyd like this.
  13. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

bhazen and finslaw like this.
  14. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

15. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

16. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

I remember hearing She's a Lover and thinking it was one of my favorite Phil May vocals, only to find out it was Jon Povey. I think I made the same mistake with October 26. Jon, Phil and Wally combined to make The Pretty Things a great vocal group, capable of fooling fans by trading leads in their prime.

bhazen, sharedon, iggyd and 2 others like this.
  17. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

Those are my 3 favorite albums by the band, and just in general. Don't forget those delicious Cross Talk outtakes, including Jon's fluttering synth on Sea About Me and his elegant piano on Young Pretenders. Jon was always tasteful. Anyone know if he had more post-Pretties original material outside those on Sunstroke, Here We Go Again, Song for Pete and his Crowley album?

iggyd likes this.
  18. Stannary

Stannary Groovin' on a Sunday afternoon

Very sad news. I met him a few times in the late 60s early 70s as a surfer. Really nice guy, very unassuming. Happy times.
    R.I.P.

19. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

20. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

I'm constantly surprised when I found out that a vocal isn't Phil's. I mean, I only learnt that Jon took the lead on I See You thanks to this thread!

RIP

cwitt1980, Clarkophile and finslaw like this.
  21. Sergius Wegmuller

Sergius Wegmuller Forum Resident

Very sad news. Time to take Parachute for a spin

finslaw and cwitt1980 like this.
  22. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

I want to make a youtube video of all Jon Povey lead vocals as a tribute and need help deciphering. Here is what I have from The Pretty Things era:

Rejected
    Is This Your Way?
    I See You
    The Good Mr. Square
    She's a Lover (but I'm actually going to use the 2012 version)
    Parachute
    Walk Away

Are there others I am missing? Anything from the Swan Song Albums? How about Death, A Thousand Ages from the Sun and Love Dance and Sing? Are we sure October 26 is Wally? Anything on the later Pretty Things albums? It is frustrating since Phil and (somehow) Wally are capable of a smooth high voice.

iggyd and bhazen like this.
  23. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Sad news again. R.I.P. and thanks for all the beautiful music you left us.

24. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

Come on Pretties fans, I need feedback quick. This is what I have for a tribute to Jon Povey on lead vocals. In latter years I cherry picked a bit, but if there are any songs left (not on Sunstroke, Parachute Reborn and Crowley) I really want to know. I'm assuming Love Dance and Sing and A Thousand Ages from the Sun are Jon on vocals. What am I missing?

Rejected
    Is This Your Way?
    Love Dance and Sing
    A Thousand Ages from the Sun
    I See You
    The Good Mr. Square
    Parachute
    Walk Away
    The Sun (2010 version)
    It's No Disgrace
    She's a Lover (2012 version)
    Here We Go Again
    Crowley and Me
    Song for Pete

I also need to know his date (or year) of birth.

25. privit1

privit1 Senior Member