Joni Mitchell ‘Asylum Albums (1972-1975)’ Box Set Due 9/23/22

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by belardd, Jul 28, 2022.

1. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I suspect Dr. Rhino will be receiving a lot of replacement inquiries.

2. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

I think he/she/they retired?

3. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

I find it completely believable that not a single soul listened to it properly.

4. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

It seems the edits here are as per the original double LP edition so we don't know what further response there was after Joni laughed unless there is an audience recording of that show. I think the later HDCD edition had the full contents of the LP edition; the original CD had banter removed, I'd guess, to enable the double LP to fit onto a single CD, the running time of which was limited to 74 minutes.

djwkyoto likes this.
  5. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Reading this thread finally tempted me to order a used (VG+) OG copy of Miles for Aisles off Discogs to complete my set of these four albums. (Fingers crossed….). I dug out For The Roses last night to remind myself how good they are.

6. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

I have the HDCD disc. The more class than Mick etc shout out is still there. End of track 6 Cold Blue Steel and Sweet Fire. Running time is 78:05. I would love to know the views of the sound of the new box sets against the HDCD versions. I've always thought them to be great.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
    Planbee and Percy Song like this.
  7. HastingsBoy

HastingsBoy Forum Resident

I emailed Joni's website directly about the Court and Spark cd issue and got a response from a guy called Les Irvin. The Production Team will discuss a replacement strategy today.

8. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

It does seem a problem. I am starting to bail out due to cost and room. Ten years ago I would have bought a One Step On the Border (my favourite Eagles album and I remember buying it in a London record shop back around the release date) but £100 for a faulty record!
    Back to Joni and the 24/192 - apart from the index fault everything I have played sounds really good and great they did the live album.

9. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks I have the albums done a few years back as 24/192 flac files. They are good/great too. Re For the Roses thanks. I should have checked before posting.

10. djwkyoto

djwkyoto Forum Resident

Ah, ok. It sounded to me as if her reply (if there was one) had somehow appeared on bootlegs or some other release.

The shout-out is so unexpected and her laughter is so genuine and surprised, I always have to smile when I listen to it. :)

CrankSomeFrank and Percy Song like this.
  11. HastingsBoy

HastingsBoy Forum Resident

Aside from the issues with Court and Spark.... the cd box sounds wonderful. I'm just listening to Miles of Aisles and it's like hearing it for the 1st time. The cd version I had sounded muddy as hell and was nearly unlistenable. Miles is the best sounding cd in the box.

12. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

When I ordered the Reprise vinyl set, I got it on the day of release. I still have yet to get a shipping notification for the Asylum vinyl set and questions to the Joni website have gone unanswered. Pretty frustrating.

13. stem

stem Forum Resident

Hope you get a good one.
    I’ve always thought “Miles …” to be one of the best sounding live albums ever on vinyl.
    So warm and natural.

Dhreview16 likes this.
  14. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

I find it frustrating that you are the only, repeated source for this info. For this box and also the Reprise Albums box. If these are all digital, it's totally fine by me. But I'm baffled if, after the MoFi thing, people are taking one anonymous person's word for this kind of detail.

Cokelike- and 1@aTime like this.
  15. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

I was alerted to this by someone working on the project. I’m with you — I don’t get why it wasn’t listed in big, bold letters in the press release but the LPs are AAA.

bmusic, adamos, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  16. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

In fact, if they were digitally sourced like the HD, streaming, and CD we would probably have two People’s Parties on the vinyl….

CBackley likes this.
  17. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I'm not taking his word. I've searched and searched for official statement or press and it comes up nothing. Not a word from Bernie. I would think if it's AAA that would be a selling point worth mentioning somewhere? I think it sounds fantastic regardless.

SuahuaB likes this.
  18. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Well that's a bit more info, but could that person be as hyper sensitive to the differences between sourced and cut from as we are? Not doubting what was said, it just seems odd we never heard anything official.

SuahuaB likes this.
  19. SuahuaB

SuahuaB terrorized by treble

Me neither. Not without any element to substantiate it. But as you said, it doesn't really matter, if you like what you hear, and this is very good. I had inquired myself about it, then realized that - the very fact people are wondering about the cut - goes to prove that, if done properly, nobody is going to be able to tell digital from AAA. Which is something I've always suspected.
    And if nobody is able to tell, it doesn't matter.

20. 1@aTime

1@aTime Forum Resident

Yes, to me the whole MoFi debacle substantiated that fact for me. All of the Audiophiles were audio-fooled into thinking that the LP's they got were analog sourced yet they were digital all a long. Goes to show that an LP pressed from digital sure can sound great and that the Audiophiles ears and equipment just isn't as revealing as they though.

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  21. teag

teag Forum Resident

Here we go again.

If we could hear the exact recording done AAA on one disc and AAD on the other disc, done by the same mastering engineer, pressed at the same plant, and compared them on the same system, that would be the only way to tell if a difference can be heard.

And that scenario is unlikely to be available for evaluation.

Revolver, TheGreenGroove and SteveS1 like this.
  22. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Par for the course with Jonimitchell.com. Not a single order ever arrived less than 10 to 14 days late for me. After spending over $700 with them and been left hanging every single time, I've now moved on. I'll get the CD box at a discount sometime later from Amazon or someone who can get to a post office. Oh, and when the C&S track issue is corrected as well.

23. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

I had a great experience with them when I ordered the Reprise vinyl set. Guess I got lucky that time!

24. Most labels don’t care about analog/ digital and the marketing people seem to not always know what’s going on.

This interview from overnight brings this to light a bit. Very enlightening

sennj and Dignan2000 like this.
  25. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I was going to order this, but I think I'll wait until all these issues are sorted out.

Beyond that, I feel somewhat cheated that it wasn't just studio recordings --and Hejira isn't included in this box. I hate having to buy the next box just to get it as my interest drops precipitously beginning with Don Juan.
    My three favorite Joni albums are Court, Summer Lawns and Hejira.