Joni Mitchell ‘Asylum Albums (1972-1975)’ Box Set Due 9/23/22

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by belardd, Jul 28, 2022.

1. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I just closely listened to my entire vinyl set. No flaws whatsoever in this (replacement) set.

Zafu, bluemooze, DeRosa and 6 others like this.
  2. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I sent mine back to Music Direct today. Here’s hoping for similar luck. The LPs really do sound great.

3. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I know some don't like to use Amazon, but for box sets it the best. They send off your replacement box and you have almost a month to evaluate and choose among both boxes the best discs before sending the rest back. Fast and free with Prime

Will Harris, mackat, Zafu and 4 others like this.
  4. thepigdog

thepigdog Music and beer

What's the sense, I already own those 4 CD's, some Japanese some original. They all sound good. The only cd's I have doubles of are the anniversary Dark Side of the Moon. I play my original the most.

chrisblower likes this.
  5. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

My guess the sense is to get all these titles back in print for people that weren’t there 25+ years ago. ;)

6. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

Well, not everybody owns them, and this looks like a good way to get all them in good sound, at a reasonable price.

thepigdog, aseriesofsneaks and jlf like this.
  7. CrankSomeFrank

CrankSomeFrank The eons are closing.

Please, oh please. I love Joni live from this era.

8. werk

werk Forum Resident

bmusic likes this.
  9. ChickenringNYC

ChickenringNYC Forum Resident

I think they will release the albums individually.

My question is, how are listeners finding the difference between the Bellman cut of Court and Spark versus the new Grundman? I have an OG pressing and picked up the Bellman to see how it stacked up. Gotta be honest, I really prefer the original. And I don't have a super duper system.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
  10. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

I haven't yet compared, largely because I didn't keep the Bellman which I found a bit bright. My least favourite Bellman cut as I usually like his work a lot. The Hejira he did is my favourite so far, but I have yet to hear the later ones.

11. Tim Edwards

Tim Edwards Well-Known Member

judging from the pic you are also a Kate Bush fan? Kate and Joni are the two greats for me

gregorya likes this.
  12. Tim Edwards

Tim Edwards Well-Known Member

Having listened to all the vinyl in the box set now, I can confirm it all sounds ticketyboo to me - both the quality and the remastering. The covers are also fine unlike the previous box set. I've also, with some difficulty, acquired the 192kHz download version which is also excellent. I do NOT like the 48kHz remaster - I presume used on CDs - which sounds far too harsh and digital.

13. SuahuaB

SuahuaB terrorized by treble

I have a 1974 US Terre Haute pressing
    Joni Mitchell - Court And Spark
    don't know how it's rated, but the new release is head and shoulders above that one, I don't think there's room for any subjectivity here, it's positively more dynamic, more separation, and also a tad less bright.

Vinylfindco and SteveS1 like this.
  14. violarules

violarules Senior Member

The box set arrived today from Amazon. So far, I've only delved into Roses and Court and Spark. The only album in this set which I already owned a copy of was Court and Spark, a WLP. The new version is brighter than the WLP, but also more separation and better bass extension and definition. I've grown to love Court and Spark over the past few years, so it's nice to have an excellent vinyl copy readily available (on dead silent vinyl, to boot). No problems at all with the records I've listened to so far, except for a very slight warp on each. Overall, this set was well worth it and gives me a chance to get into Roses and Hissing in particular, which I don't have any experience with.

Zafu and struttincool like this.
  15. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Just finished court & spark. This box is just stunning imo as was the first box. While I do own all the originals with most being in good condition, don’t have the patience to a/b and over analyze a comparison. These new pressings are totally black, detailed and sound fabulous. What more can one hope for? Thanks Joni !!

16. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

My thoughts, also. I'll probably compare at some point, but in no hurry.
    I really like box sets like this: Otis Redding, ZZ Top, Dylan, Curtis Mayfield, etc..
    I'm planning to get the Bernie Grundman remaster of Blue that comes out Oct. 7th. I already have his original mastering from 1971 and the Hoffman/Gray from 2007. Were there any shootouts when this came out in the first box?

Zafu likes this.
  17. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

So I guess we are awaiting an archival type set of unreleased material from the period covered by the Asylum box set. Good to have a nice download of Miles of Aisles.

SuahuaB likes this.
  18. SuahuaB

SuahuaB terrorized by treble

Yes, I'm particularly looking forward to more live recordings from the 1974 tour, which have already been confirmed for Archives 3.
    You can't get enough of a good thing
    :)

19. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

They're both excellent, but I prefer the Hoffman/Gray which is on my very short list of amazing masterings. I loved it so much I bought their Sweet Baby James release, and I don't even like James Taylor!

struttincool and jamesmaya like this.
  20. No Worries

No Worries Well-Known Member

If I order the box set (say, from Amazon) today, will Court and Spark include the duplicate track of Same Situation?

21. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Probably

eelkiller likes this.
  22. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I can verify now having listened to some of the CD boxed set last night that my copy also has the indexing error on Same Situation. A minor annoyance. But man the CD sounds FANTASTIC, really well-mastered. I haven't A/B'd with Steve's DCC mastering, but just from memory I do think I slightly prefer the latter for the midrange warmth, but I can't imagine anyone not loving the sound of this album in the new boxed set. I also have the LP version of the new boxed set and do prefer the vinyl Court and Spark to the new CD - but just by a smidge - they are VERY closely matched sonically, really it's just down to a tiny bit more midrange and detail on the LP.

23. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I wish the digital downloads would be fixed quickly. I’d love to pick up this set on Qobuz or HD Tracks. But without knowing if they’d fix the error with a replacement track, there’s no sense in buying it now.

24. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Can't you just... not play the extra track? Either take it out of the playlist, or remove it from your library altogether? Or is there some other problem with the combined track I'm not aware of...?

25. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

There have been demos of the songs from Hissing on YouTube for years. I hope these are on the next archive box as well