Joni Mitchell ‘Asylum Albums (1972-1975)’ Box Set Due 9/23/22

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by belardd, Jul 28, 2022.

1. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

'Hissing' and 'Hejira' are my two favourite Joni albums but I assumed that nothing would come along to best the previous HDTracks hi-res release of this album. Has anyone here had the chance to compare the new remasters to the previous hi-res release. If there's a definite sonic upgrade, I'm absolutely on board!

2. HastingsBoy

HastingsBoy Forum Resident

Anyone heard anything about Rhino replacing the faulty Court and Spark CD?

Wildgift likes this.
  3. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

I've just compared the two tracks - and they have different volumes too! It's like they normalised / mastered both as separate tracks...

4. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Still too soon, I guess. The wheels turn slowly.

EG.

5. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I did get an acknowledgement to my message, saying they had it and were considering options or some such phrase.

As I said before: I hope everyone who has a defective disc (which I think is probably everyone with the CD set at this point) will message them, because they're not going to do anything most likely for 1 or 2 people who message them. Dozens or hundreds, maybe.

Link here: Contact | Rhino

6. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

I started going through my box last night, and it was tough to get myself to go to bed. I've owned these albums since the 70's and know every note and beat, every flourish and riff. Even so, I was just struck last night be the sheer brilliance and creativity. Joni Mitchell practically created her own genre with these albums, and rather than sounding like something new and strange, these songs have an emotional resonance that is immediate and accessible. They are incredibly well sung, played, arranged, produced, and recorded. I've loved these albums for a long time, but I admire them more now than I ever did. They are truly astonishing.

7. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

They are working on the replacement strategy

8. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

Wow. I guess I bought too early. I could play 192 streaming but was only able to buy 96. I may not be able to hear the delta between 96 and 192 but would have preferred the 192. I am USA sublime

9. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

People pay more for 192/24? Are these middle aged people?

10. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

That's good but it seems pretty straight-forward...

Strategy:

1) fix error
    2) make new CDs
    3) distribute new CDs (in plain sleeves) to complaining customers
    4) issue internal memo regarding the need for QA on all projects

11. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

No, let's not start that discussion here or it will derail the thread.
    We all know that nobody can tell the difference between 96/24 and 192/24 when played on the same equipment, including teenagers, but people buy what they like to buy and there is no need to spoil their enjoyment.

SuahuaB and CBackley like this.
  12. Music Geek

I am going to spoil each and every marketing post by the @JoniMitchell account on Twitter with nasty replies until they tell us when and how we get the corrected CD.
    The fact that they haven't even acknowledged the problem annoys me and it's very disrespectful. They can forget any first day purchase from me in the future.

13. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

I guess I could have been clearer. It’s the production of new CDs and distribution that’s being worked on.

14. Music Geek

Nothing of what you say has been communicated openly.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  15. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

Never mind what people think they can hear, I'm more amazed at the cheek of selling it at a higher price.

16. Music Geek

That makes perfect sense given that they need 2x the storage and 2x the bandwidth to serve those files to their customers.

CBackley likes this.
  17. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

LOL if they are paying $20 or so more per download, for their bandwidth and and storage at the volume level they operate - they are being seriously overcharged. I doubt that. I suspect it's more driven by what people will pay as you mentioned earlier. Good luck to them.

18. Music Geek

Of course in any business the right price comes from understanding your costs and understanding how much your customers are willing to pay.

19. teag

teag Forum Resident

No, they are naive young people.

20. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Here’s the pack shot of the standalone For The Roses aqua blue vinyl, released 10/28

[​IMG]

21. djwkyoto

djwkyoto Forum Resident

Nice. Funny though, I know of course the labels use an adapted stock picture for that kind of promotional image, but this is not where the record comes out, at least not in case the "For The Roses" cover. ;)

22. SuahuaB

SuahuaB terrorized by treble

By all means, don't let's detail the thread... and yet it's a bit disheartening how systematically hi-res is tossed around as the go to format, when every blindfold test that's been carried shows that - statistically - a number close to zero of people past their teens are able to tell the difference with standard audio. And every independent professional will tell you that hi-res is required for recording, mixing and mastering, totally pointless for listening.
    But as you say, some people think they can appreciate the difference, who am I to spoil their fun

Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
    Old Mac and CrankSomeFrank like this.
  23. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

So, in other words, let’s derail the thread?!

SuahuaB likes this.
  24. SuahuaB

SuahuaB terrorized by treble

NO absolutely not, we must NOT do that under any circumstance!

25. moops

moops Senior Member

What happens to CD sets that contain the faulty disc that are currently sitting on shelves waiting to be sold ? For example, if I order a set from Import CDs in a couple of months time, will that set contain a corrected disc ?