Joni Mitchell ‘Asylum Albums (1972-1975)’ Box Set Due 9/23/22

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by belardd, Jul 28, 2022.

1. Tim Edwards

Tim Edwards Well-Known Member

Jonimitchell.com is shipping slow so have not got my vinyl yet - I found the last box set sounded good but covers were dreadful. I've managed to access a 24bit version (but not the top 192kHz which DID make a difference on the originals which managed to then sound both analogue and detailed). I have to say - having just listened to some of Hissing of Summer Lawns (which is my #2 album of all time), yes I admit that is not much - it sounds very clear and very sound stagey with amped up vocals. Which to my ears starts to be rather "digital" and harsh. The prices for the hi-res downloads (HD Tracks and Qobuz) are frankly daylight robbery (over £/$70 for the 24/192) and I'd be curious to know the thoughts of anyone lashing out on them.

2. SongAndDanceMan

SongAndDanceMan Forum Resident

3. this_machine

this_machine Forum Resident

@SongAndDanceMan is this post above a response to my question about information sources that purport the release is AAA?

4. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

Yes. I haven't had time to compare it to my original, but as I was listening to it I was thinking this thing sure sounds much better than I remember. The piano on side 2 is just explosive in spots.

I'll have to listen more, but Miles of Aisles may be much better than my original. Each side ended too quickly, something I don't remember happening with the original. I was totally sucked into the music. Really quiet background and the sense of space was excellent.

5. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

Have you at least been notified that yours has shipped? I haven't yet.

6. SongAndDanceMan

No I'm trying to find the source as well, seems the request is being ignored

SRC and this_machine like this.
  7. Further

Further Forum Resident

The LP box set was already confirmed to be AAA, presumably from the master tapes, just like the first box was (with the exception of Song To A Seagull, which was a digital remix).

8. 1@aTime

1@aTime Forum Resident

Where does it say that? Curious to know. I see people saying this but nowhere does it state this that I can see.

struttincool and this_machine like this.
  9. Further

Further Forum Resident

Page 5, posts #102 and #117.

10. 1@aTime

1@aTime Forum Resident

Those 2 posts don’t prove anything that they are. Just someone saying yes. Where is the source?

SRC, struttincool and this_machine like this.
  11. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Honestly I don't care how it was sourced when it sounds like this. Just playing Court and Spark. I don't think I need to search any longer for a superb Court and Spark. The jacket looks just like the original, actually all of them do. I'm thrilled.
    I have original, and a Rhino. I did have the old SuperDisc but I hated that one. I unfortunately don't have a DCC.

bluemooze, this_machine and DrJ like this.
  12. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Oh lord. My For the Roses has a big speck of paper or something pressed right in the middle of the first track. Ouch.

13. SongAndDanceMan

How does it compare to the already superb Bellman Rhino?

14. Vinylfindco

The Rhino I have is the EU that came a bit later. It is not cut by Bellman. So I can't tell you that. This does sound better balanced than that. Joni's voice is handled perfectly, plenty of dynamic range, and deep but controlled bass.

James RD and DrJ like this.
  15. Vinylfindco

So these are all pressed at Optimal?

16. struttincool

I didn't read every matrix on mine, but what's been entered on Discogs indicates they were all pressed at Optimal.

this_machine likes this.
  17. SongAndDanceMan

I bet they had to go away from RTI for this one just due to RTI being too backed up for a box set. Seems like euro plants like GZ and Optimal aren't as backed up

18. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I had a whole post written with more details that I just accidentally deleted…short version:

LP box arrived today

Listened so far to side 1 of Court and Spark and side 1 of For the Roses

Both sound incredible - dynamic, rich with the complex overtones and detail of instruments, tonality just right, and not sounding messed with at all. I know these lp sides like the back of my hand from many LP and CD pressings and while I have not done any A/B comparisons they are sounding like definitive pressings to me. Just breathtaking.

can’t wait to hear more of the LP set and crack open the CD set tomorrow also arrived today

STOKED!!!

19. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

My impression as well at least where side 1 is concerned have not gotten to side 2. Best I’ve heard this album on vinyl - better than the Bellman, better then original pressings, and better than the old Nautilus LP. Again “definitive” is the word that comes to mind.

20. struttincool

Does Dr. Rhino still help folks out who get a bum pressing or two? Box sets can be tricky and it would be great if they had something set up to get people sorted.

CBackley likes this.
  21. Vinylfindco

That old Nautilus was an ear bleeder! I can't believe there was a time that was considered good.

DrJ likes this.
  22. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

bright indeed

23. struttincool

This one from For the Roses took me by surprise. Very nice.

Sherwood SST and DrJ like this.
  24. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Received the CD set yesterday, played For the Roses and now on to Court and Spark now. I will just say I am enjoying it a lot, so far so good.

25. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Ya, that's the problem with these boxes. 5 LPs, there are bound to be one with defects. Sending the whole thing back seems so wasteful.

CBackley likes this.