Joni Mitchell: "Court and Spark" Song by Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Parachute Woman, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

This was the first one that I got an alert for, and I was tagged in all the rest. I don't have an answer for you, it seems to be hit or miss.

2. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

At this stage I think it's worth commenting on Joni's album covers. Up to this point, they are all paintings, with the exception of Blue and For the Roses, and I believe the paintings are all done by Joni herself. Is there no end to this woman's talents?

Rickchick, gregorya and lightbulb like this.
  3. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Speaking of "Twisted" (PW, I'm already skating to the penalty box as punishment for posting this WAY in advance--haha), here's the original. More to say about it when we get there.

kronning, bumbletort, Tuco and 2 others like this.
  4. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, if you @ someone, they are supposed to get an alert that reads "Parachute Woman mentioned you in a post in the thread..." It usually works when I do just one at time, but perhaps doing several all at once diffuses it? I may ask a gort to see if they have any insight. My goal here is that people are aware that the new thread has opened.

5. Parachute Woman

Yes, Joni did the artwork for all of her album covers that are paintings. She's a wonderful painter. She once famously said, "I sing my sorrow and I paint my joy."
    Court & Spark has a slightly abstract feel about it. I didn't know that the bit at the front was two figures embracing for the longest time, but I'm glad to know that now because it so perfectly encapsulates the themes of the album and the title (especially with the ominous little cloud in the background). I've said before that the artwork for each album is so perfectly in keeping with the themes and sounds of that record, from the hippie painting of Song to a Seagull to the 'other' invading suburbia on Hissing of Summer Lawns. To be a gifted visual artist in addition to a gifted musician...she really is something else!

On the contrary, thanks for sharing! I've never heard the original (I was surprised Joni followed it so closely, right down to the Cheech and Chong cameo!). I always listen to the album in question multiple times as we move through each of these threads and I'll be playing Court & Spark throughout our time with it. Figuring out how 'Twisted' fits in to the record is an interesting exercise and it has already come up several times as we discuss the record in general. It's certainly one of Joni's more idiosyncratic choices of the '70s, closing this record with that cover.

Planbee, Damiano54 and luckett like this.
  6. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

Dang, the original is killer!

Joni trivia: Who can name another song she covered?

kronning, Rickchick and Planbee like this.
  7. DocBrown

DocBrown Musical hermit of the frozen north

I don't think you're speaking of the fragment of "Unchained Melody" on Wild Things Run Fast

audiotom likes this.
  8. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

One of the great albums of the 70's, which is saying something. Impeccable musicianship, wonderful, evocative songs, and beautifully engineered by Henry Lewy and produced by Joni. The "vibe" of this album is so alluring and enticing that it's really hard to stop listening once you start. And it's not even my favorite (that would be Hejira). Bring on the tunes.

9. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Played this album to death back in the day. Saw her tour in that era with the LA Express. David Sanborn opened? (Can't remember). Miles of Aisles captures it very effectively, but the sound of the drums was something I really dug on both Court and Spark and Miles of Aisles.
    I was sitting in the old coffee room of the American Hotel in Amsterdam years ago and recognized her sitting alone, smoking. I didn't want to bother her-- but it was nice to be in the room with her. Sadly, that room was gutted as part of a modernization. I think she'd understand that. Great writer, songstress, painter-- cool woman.

Rich C, Tuco, Parachute Woman and 2 others like this.
  10. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

(You’re So Square) Baby I Don’t Care by Lieber and Stoller from Wild Things Run Fast.

How Do You Stop by Dan Hartman and Charlie Midnight from Turbulent Indigo.

Plus the various cover versions on Both Sides Now.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    Parachute Woman, Planbee and DocBrown like this.
  11. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Joni is a big Annie Ross fan and thought about putting "Twisted" on an earlier album (For the Roses, IIRC), but didn't think it worked there.

12. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

this album is so intense, moving and personal but in a more romanced / nuanced subtler confessionary way

The setting could not be more starkly different than For the Roses

ones goes from the recluse Canadian wilderness
    smack dab into the City of the Fallen Angels (love the way she phrases angels)

No longing running away
    in fact she let's a lover leave to stay grounded here.

This is such a majestic song
    with a lovely bit of resignation at the end

I love the open sustained piano intro - haunting
    you feel the sense she has resolved things
    accepted, reflected and moved on

I've cleared myself - I've sacrificed my blues...

she opens an album having moved forward and still connected to her introspective side but not bound to it pulling her down.

Her insecurities are our insecurities. Her triumphs ours.
    That glistening photograph of her on the gatefold - so uplifting.

as the song ends I always picture a high vantage point, bright light over the San Gabriel Mountains, the valley at great distance and waves rippling out to sea

This is her most upbeat album to date.

and it took the world by storm

13. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

If you have never hear Herbie Hancock's The Joni Letters version of Court and Spark

it is also haunting
    Wayne Shorter's other worldly sax floats on top
    Brian Blade and John Pattituchi play restrained

and Norah Jones comes at the song more in a slow whisper

14. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

And up to C&S, she did an album a year! My understanding is she missed the Christmas ‘73 deadline but it evens out because we got two albums in ‘74!

JDeanB likes this.
  15. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Damn, it took me this long to remember that Joni also covered "Centerpiece", once again by Lambert, Hendricks, & Ross:

16. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

Yip, those two, "Centerpiece", and "Twisted" as far as I know are the only songs she's covered ("Both Sides Now" is hers, so doesn't count).

More trivia... Dan Hartman was in the Edgar Winter Group. He wrote and sang "Free Ride".

Comet01 likes this.
  17. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I think you just cut to the chase musically!

DocBrown likes this.
  18. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

The above bass credits got jumbled somehow.

Max Bennett - bass on all tracks except "Trouble Child", "People's Parties" and "Free Man in Paris".
    Jim Hughart - bass on "Trouble Child"
    Wilton Felder - bass on "People's Parties" and "Free Man In Paris"

Max Bennett was a huge part of this album.

19. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Here we go! I lived and breathed this album so much that it prevented me from initially enjoying Hissing because it was still in my heart and soul and Hissing wasn't C&S Part 2. But we'll deal with that when the time comes.
    I was going to comment on Raised On Robbery as it was released before the album and that was my first taste of what was to come. Since it worked out that Court & Spark was on the flip side, I'll confine my comments to that and follow the proper sequence. This song is such a perfect introduction to the album. Deceptively simple but full of nuance and this time, the different instruments aren't just splashes of color but have the feel of a full-fledged band. Even the rumbling piano chords take on a different tone, as someone previously stated, a warmth to the sound that really stands out. The song sequencing is also notable, this baby really flows well. Enough praise cannot be heaped on this masterpiece and it's not even my favorite of her albums!

Rickchick, Tuco, DocBrown and 3 others like this.
  20. To my old body and brain, this is the best JM album, perfect from start to end. Some time after it came out, I took a ten day driving trip through CA, NV and UT.....it was on constantly and though I had/have a terrible voice, I sang unashamedly with every song.

JDeanB, rednoise, EddieMann and 3 others like this.
  21. Parachute Woman

Thank you very much for these corrections. I got the info from her official site and I'm sorry to see they've got it mixed up. I'm not really someone who often notices bass in music, but I notice it on this album. The bass on every track adds so splendidly to the overall sound. Really great stuff and very well recorded.

Comet01 likes this.
  22. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

Both Sides Now - I am talking about the album (not the song itself).

23. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Since you mentioned the bassists (I was going to bring this up Friday on "Free Man in Paris Day"--haha), Wilton Felder also plays the ridiculous bassline on The Jackson 5's "I Want You Back." You could spend the entire three minutes just concentrating on him.

Parachute Woman and Comet01 like this.
  24. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Right on the mark. Much is made of the bass on Hejira and rightfully so but starting with C&S, that instrument became as prominent in her music as the guitar and piano.

Tuco and Parachute Woman like this.
  25. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Joni also covered Why Do Fools fall In love.

Socalguy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.