Joni Mitchell: "Dog Eat Dog" Song by Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Parachute Woman, Dec 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

Here she is at Farm Aid that year, not smoking what Willie was smoking.

[​IMG]

mark winstanley likes this.
  2. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Next up:

Track 6: "Dog Eat Dog"

DOG EAT DOG
    WORDS AND MUSIC BY Joni Mitchell
    DON HENLEY, JAMES TAYLOR, JONI MITCHELL – Background Vocals
    © 1985 Crazy Crow Music BMI

Lyrical Excerpt:
    Dog Eat Dog
    It's dog eat dog
    I'm just waking up
    The dove is in the dungeon
    And the white washed hawks
    pedal hate and call it love
    Dog Eat Dog
    Holy hope in the hands of
    Snakebite evangelists and racketeers
    And big wig financiers

Complete Lyrics at Joni Mitchell's Official Site

Joni on the song:
    "Dog Eat Dog"
    As the first few lines imply, this was my political awakening. I was robbed by my bank, by the government of California, by everyone around me who could- all at once. I was a kid with unguarded marbles.

During the Reagan era, greed became fashionable. We had come through the optimism of the '60s, then the apathy of the '70s and finally, the accelerated consumerism of the '80s- the hippie, yippie, yuppie.

mark winstanley likes this.
  3. Parachute Woman

Here's Joni doing a solo piano version of 'Dog Eat Dog' at Farm Aid in 1985:

This just reveals that the music/melody/structure of this song are pretty good. I have no problems with any of that. When it is just stripped down to Joni and piano, you can hear all the classic 'Mitchell' elements of the composition of the song. As always with this album, my problems lie with the lyrics and the production. Those awful '80s drums on this track just don't do it for me. They actively take away from my enjoyment of the track, from Joni's voice... Hearing this one song done acoustically (and the demo for 'Good Friends' shared earlier in the thread) really makes me wish I could hear this album stripped of all the 1985 production. I know others like it. I don't. Again, no comment on the lyrics.

4. Black Thumb

This dog of a song breaks Joni's streak of great title songs. It's not boring, but for whatever reason it doesn't make much of an impression on me at all. It doesn't play in my head when I think of it, and that kinda freaks me out. I played it twice to make sure, but nope ... Teflon. Slid right off.

It's indistinguishable. The production is rote, and the lyrics are depressingly banal. It pains me to say it, but some of the lines border on amateurish.

If the credits didn't say James Taylor and Don Henley were back there, I never would've known. They blend into the murk.

The Farm Aid version is an improvement, but as any farmer will tell you, you can't polish a cow patty.

5. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Finally, we are back to having a proper song! "Dog Eat Dog" is a pretty ordinary song by Joni's standards, it's listenable but unremarkable. It's an improvement over the previous three tracks, I'll say that for it.

Parachute Woman likes this.
  6. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

Agree it's a very average song, but Wild Things Run Fast is no better.

HenryFly likes this.
  7. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

Is it clutching at straws to say that the long fade ending means the song only outstays its welcome by about 45 seconds? (which is far better than the average up to now with this album)

8. Black Thumb

I'm quite the fan of that one, which puts me in the minority here.

But I'll be the first to agree it's no "Hejira". :)

Planbee likes this.
  9. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Indeed. In the case of a couple of the earlier songs, the amount by which the song outstays its welcome is equal to the track length of the song.

10. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  11. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Joni included this entire run of songs we’ve been talking about from “Fiction” forward (excepting “Smokin’”), plus two other songs from Dog Eat Dog, on The Beginning of Survival, a collection no one asked for of her most grouchy and pessimistic latter day songs. I’d like to see the sales figures on that one.

Joni seemed frustrated that people didn’t care for or take heed of these message songs, but then she also placed them in musically unappealing settings...

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  12. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Probably my least fav Joni album. Most are great, some are innocuous, this one is annoying.

13. I think the synth is worse than the drums on "Dog Eat Dog": so banal & lacking melody.

14. chrisblower

I have it. So that's one sold. And it's a great sequence of songs. Makes listening to the Dog and Chalk Mark songs more pleasurable.

15. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

Late to the thread, sorry, but don’t really have much to say. I’ve never listened to this album all the way through.

Hearing some of these songs for the first time, my first thought is, holy balls, what a monumentally crappy decade the 80’s was music-wise.

Did anyone ever like electronic drums?

wabrit and Parachute Woman like this.
  16. chrisblower

It wasn't just the drums, what about the clothes ... Joni on the BBC1 program Terry Wogan Show with some band or other. I've posted this before on a previous thread, but there's an interview with Terry at the finish to enjoy.

JONI MITCHELL-GOOD FRIENDS-WOGAN-BBC 1-DEC. 6. 1985.

17. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

I didn't enjoy it. It's as though she was determined to lower the bar in every aspect of her public presence.

18. Parachute Woman

Next up:

Track 7: "Shiny Toys"

SHINY TOYS
    WORDS AND MUSIC BY Joni Mitchell
    JERRY HEY – Horn arrangement
    JERRY HEY, GARY GRANT – Trumpet, Flugelhorn
    LARRY WILLIAMS – Saxaphone, Flute
    DON HENLEY, JAMES TAYLOR, JONI MITCHELL – Background Vocals
    THOMAS DOLBY, ZYG WINARD – Speakers

Lyrical Excerpt:
    Whatever makes you "Yahoo"
    Whatever makes your time feel satisfyin'
    Whatever makes you
    "Oh I'm so excited"
    Whatever makes you feel
    like you're right on time

Complete Lyrics at Joni Mitchell's Official Site

This is one of the songs Joni didn't comment on in the Geffen recordings box set.

chrisblower likes this.
  19. Parachute Woman

Shiny Toys
    Oh God. The production on this track is even more artificial than the previous few songs. It also goes hogwild with the vocal samples and all those little spoken-word "I love my Porsche" and "Oh I'm so excited" bits are nothing but cringe for me. Again, I think the lyrics are obvious, cliched and don't actually have anything worthwhile to say--oh no, people like to escape their crappy lives and feelings of existential dread by having hobbies and buying things! The horror!! Joni comes off as sanctimonious in these lyrics. She's got it all figured out and we're just a bunch of materialistic a-holes. The production and melody are pure cheese. Another thumbs down from me.

I love Joni Mitchell, as you all should know by now. I can't wait to get away from this album, because it makes me say and feel bad things about her art. But even the greats have lowpoints.

20. Black Thumb

I'm choking on the irony of Joni railing about how shiny toys ruin your living experience ... whilst using all her shiny studio toys to ruin my listening experience.

Ah, but this artificial sonic environment is supposed to make you appreciate the simple pleasure of standing on the beach watching seagulls! Well, job done, I guess. I'd much rather be listening to their cries right now.

She apparently coined the word "ratepoll". It's not in Webster's and Google search doesn't know what the hell to make of it.

I fear the younger me is getting the last laugh here. "Ha! And you thought you'd come to terms with '80s inauthenticity!".

Geee! and Parachute Woman like this.
  21. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

She's dressing like Rickie Lee Jones trying to dress like Joni Mitchell. Copying her own copycat.

Socalguy and lambfan68 like this.
  22. Black Thumb

Nailed it!

I would argue that at that point Rickie Lee was more "Joni" than Joni was. The Magazine had come out a year earlier, and while it had some '80s touches they were more tastefully and organically done.

chrisblower and Parachute Woman like this.
  23. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

Thank heavens for Kate Bush in 80, 82, 85, and 89 each time carrying Joni's baton until she found her running shoes again.

Parachute Woman likes this.
  24. Black Thumb

And Kate Bush! Heavens yes!

Let us not forget 1985 was the year of Hounds of Love, in which she showed everybody how to properly use studio technology.

HenryFly likes this.
  25. chrisblower

The Magazine ....must dig my CD copy out ...did you have the vinyl ? Rorschachs was a song, on the CD it was replaced by an instrumental. Daft.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.