Joni Mitchell--got the DCC discs (fantastic!); how 'bout the MoFi and HDCD remasters?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rich Malloy, Jul 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Your disc is mastered from an eq'd production copy, as the 2-track 1st gen mixdown was not ever used at a mastering stage prior to the DCC (IIRC).. Just food for thought.

2. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

It's funny, I am starting to dig into Joni's catalog too after picking up the 2 DCC's, I bought Hits and Misses (also HDCD encoded) and I think I can handle the sound rather than getting the 5th generation tape first issues of the CD's.

Get the DCC's of Court and Blue if you don't have them. They are worth the $$$.

3. bartels76

Also, if you are going to delve into the "Geffen" years, I would just pick up the new box that is out which includes all her Geffen albums plus 3 or 4 bonus tracks. According to an article in ICE, they are pretty much flat transfers of the original tapes. Barely any mastering was done since they were recorded so well. I probably wouldn't bother w/ the Mofi Gold if you want to go for this instead.

4. Kym

Kym Former Resident

What constitutes a "dull" system?

5. Matt

Matt New Member

What's the best place to get "For The Roses"? I've only got the HDCD.

As for a "dull" system, if you threw on something with a lot of top end, too much top end, and it comes out sounding okay or even a bit dull, that would be a dull system. Actually, it may be a plus to have a system that softens up things a touch, considering how many discs these days nudge up the high end. Try some K2's or XRCD's and crank it; if the cymbals don't sizzle like a frying pan and all that air up there doesn't start to bother you, that's what you got.

6. bartels76

I have an unremastered copy unopened sitiing on my stereo. I got it from BMG record club. I want the HDCD's not the unremastered discs. Not sure if they are going to let me keep it or that I will have to return it.

7. Fastworker

Fastworker New Member

Shawn - my For the Roses came from BMG this spring, doesn't say anything about being HDCD on the cover (or wrapper) but when played, the HDCD light on my NAD player lights up indicating it's that type of CD. Just FYI....

8. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Because of this thread and my undying love for Joni, I scoured ebay for the DCCs- none!
    (Though I did find a couple of people selling Aqualung, which I've wanted for ever so long).

Now you people have me sorely desiring objects I cannot attain. Damnit.

So is the general consensus that the HDCDs are an improvement at least over the original CDs? I don't think my player (Sony 555ES SACD) handles HDCD. Do y'all think it's worth it to get the remasters?

9. bartels76

There were 3 Court & Sparks on Ebay this weekend. I got one for $ 47.15 and the other 2 sold for $ 33.00 a piece.

10. bartels76

It looks like the old artwork though. Anything in the liner notes about it being remastered?

Also, here's a tidbit of useless info. Joni's catalog got reissued first with upgraded artwork in the mid 90's. Joni hated the blurry, nasty old covers so they released them with better artwork but not remastered. Then the CD's were remastered in HDCD a few years later in the late 90's w/ the upgraded artwork intact.

11. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

I had the remasters. Thought they were OK (since I really had nothing to compare them to). Just got the DCC of "Blue." Listened in the car today.

The sound you hear is my jaw hitting the floor. This is, without a doubt and with no hype intended, the best sounding disc I have ever heard.

I just cued up "Hotel California." I may need to rephrase that last paragraph.

Thanks to all who turned me onto this, and thanks, of course, to Steve for just amazing work. You make listening to music beautiful, man.

12. poe_man

poe_man Senior Member

I agree!! I've heard the HDCD remaster of "Blue", and wasn't impressed at all, even on my car stereo!

13. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Well... as I said before the DCC remasters sound wonderful, but I wouldn't like to say the HDCD's remasters sound thin and harsh. Maybe not the same like the mastertape, but the original sound on the mastertape is not the best for every project... good example are Mofi's Joe Cocker "Mad Dogs" and Peter Frampton "Frampton Comes Alive". The remixes blows them away!!!

14. bartels76

1) Make sure you get both Joni DCC's
    2) I think the HDCD's sound fine. I'd rather have these than 5th generation tapes mastered to CD PLUS you get the complete Shadows & Light concert on 2 CD's! The 1st issue chopped off 3 songs.
    3) I opted for the 4 CD remastered Geffen set. The engineer himself said he did very little remastering for this project as the albums were well recorded. I think they sound fine and it's money better spent IMHO.

15. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The box set sounds great! Highly recommended!!!

16. vex

vex New Member

I found the whole batch of Joni HDCD's (along with tons of Rhino/Atlantic/Warner) CD's on sale at Border's Music for $8.99 a pop. I went kind of nuts and bought an armload, including all the Joni's. I haven't had a chance to give them a go yet, but after reading this thread my hopes aren't too high... :(

17. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

I'm a big Joni fan since 1969. To me, the HDCDs sound better (on a Linn Ikemi HDCD player) than the original US CDs, except for Ladies of the Canyon where I prefer the warmer original CD. That said, the DCC titles blow the HDCDs away, and the original US vinyl is simply exceptional, especially Blue which is reference quality (the early 90's German reissue vinyl ain't bad either).

18. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

Those geffen albums were pretty well recorded. I have an original UK vinyl copy of "Wild Things Run Fast", which I love with all my heart, and have played it to death - the Mofi gold disc isn't too bad either, and I wouldn't swap it for quids.

The DCCs are of course brilliant (I do wish that Ladies of the Canyon had seen light of day). As for the HDCDs - I think they tend towards being a tad bright. But I prefer the HDCD version of Hejira to the earlier un-remastered CD - it's just more revealing, while I think the older CD was a bit dull. But I prefer my original German vinyl of Hejira most of all - wouldn't mind hearing a US vinyl copy, just out of interest. Hejira is one that I would love to have heard as a DCC disc....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.