Joni Mitchell PBS American Masters

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JonUrban, Apr 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497 Thread Starter

Anyone see this? Any comments?

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Wish I did...Not in my 3 channel line up. Darn! Love Joni...another one I missed was the Jonathan Harris Biography on A&E...would have loved to have that one also!

3. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Have a strong interference in PBS via satellite and watching it is unbearable. It started a week or so ago. A key part of the setup is misaligned and in order to fix it I need lots of time.

Forced myself to semi-watch a bit on Tuesday. Lots of commentary by Crosby and Nash and several live performances.

Seemed like a very good program :realmad: :(

Need to find the time to tweak the dish.

Blurb from the WWW site:

The daughter of a grocery store manager and a teacher in Canada, Joni Mitchell is now a U.S. citizen, a Buddhist, a poet and a painter whose heroes are Miles Davis, Pablo Picasso and Georgia O'Keeffe. Uncompromising and iconoclastic, Mitchell has confounded expectations at every turn — wildly innovative, her music evolved from deeply personal folk into pop, jazz and avant-garde, prophetic of the multi-cultural experimentation of the ‘80s and ‘90s. Fiercely independent, she resisted the whims of mainstream audiences and the male-dominated recording industry. Mitchell's records may never have sold as widely as some of her contemporaries, but no one experimented so recklessly or so bravely explored territory outside of accepted pop music.

4. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Next on April 23rd:

Muddy Waters: Can't Be Satisfied

This documentary traces the career of seminal bluesman Muddy Waters from his beginnings picking cotton to his death from cancer in 1983. His spirit and rough-hewn personality are revealed through frank interviews with his family, mistress and the last of his four wives. The intensity of Waters' music is evoked through rare film clips and early interviews with Waters himself, as well as intimate conversations with band mates and musical cohorts.

Hope to have the dish fixed by then.

5. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I watched the Joni Mitchell program, and it was very well done. The only complaint I would have is that her post 1970-career was given somewhat short shrift, IMO. But still, a great program about a great artist. BTW, this was originally made for Canada's CBC state-run network. I saw it there about a month before it was run on PBS.

6. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497 Thread Starter

I finally saw this, thanks to my DVR, and it was pretty good. However, they really glossed over a few things. They never touched on Neil Young, never mentioned the "Sugar Mountain"/"Circle Game" connection, and while they focused on the Mitchell/Nash relationship, they never even mentioned James Taylor at all. They covered some of the music, but skipped over a lot. At least they had current and past interviews with Joni herself.

She may have wanted it that way.

7. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

Wow, too bad I missed this. Does anyone know if it will be available on video/DVD (as the Lou Reed installment of American Masters is)?

8. Fastworker

Fastworker New Member

Available on both VHS and DVD from 1-800-336-1917 @ 19.95.

9. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

Excellent! Thanks very much! :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.