Joni Mitchell--The Reprise Albums (1968-1971) release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrew Blaker, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Oscillation

Oscillation Maybe it was the doses?

wwright and Kundalini like this.
  2. ether-bored

ether-bored click OK to continue

there’s close to 40 issues of ‘blue’ on cd with at least 7 in north america.

3. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    Andrea_Bellucci likes this.
  4. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I have all the Rhino reissues, they are fantastic, and the US pressings are RTI, great mastering, and stunning Tip On jackets,
    these new ones will not be better. That is a guarantee if there is ever such a thing.

The thing the 4lp box offers is the first two records that have't been previously reissued on vinyl, and the first is a new remix.
    Folks who own the Rhino's may want to wait until they hear if these will be available as individual titles. Or maybe not wait!

5. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Any idea why the remix

6. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

Agreed on the HDtracks version. One of my favorite recordings in that format - it sounds incredible.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  7. She reportedly dislikes Crosby’s mix.

Tuck1977 likes this.
  8. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

9. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

These are all being done by BG and AAA sans Clouds. What makes you think they won't be as good?

10. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

i never said they won't be as good, i literally said "the new ones will not be better" in response to someone what said they already have the Rhino.
    I'm hoping and expecting the new ones basically sound pretty much the same.

Kundalini and Tuck1977 like this.
  11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

crosby has said he didn't like crosby's mix.

12. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Is there anyone who likes his mix. I have a very poor copy 1st pressing so I’ve never really played it.

Larry C. McGinnis III likes this.
  13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

he said (on one of the 'laurel canyon" things on epix) that he wanted to capture just raw joni mitchell, her voice and the songs, and when he puts that way, it does make some sense.

Kundalini and Tuck1977 like this.
  14. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Instant pre-order of vinyl and cd box sets from Joni's website for me. If there's one artist I'm going to support for an archive program (especially done right like this) it's Joni Mitchell all day.

15. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Has it been discussed if there is a US and EU pressing. Normally the US boxes are superb. The Rhino Faces box I have is excellent with lovely thick covers and great artwork, stunning sound. Hoping this is US only option.

16. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

I'm an absolute fan of Joni Mitchell's work but i won't spend some 130 € for 4 LPs. Way to expensive.

17. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I unknowingly bought a UK pressing of this and recently found a US pressing. Weirdly enough the UK version is better!

marcfeld69 likes this.
  18. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

The reason Song To A Seagull has been remixed is because “The original mix was atrocious,” according to Mitchell. “It sounded like it was recorded under a jello bowl, so I fixed it!”

Kundalini likes this.
  19. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

It made lots of sense, and I hope the new mix has the effect Crosby wanted. He just didn’t have studio chops at that time to pull it off.

Kundalini likes this.
  20. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Just found this thread so I’m catching up :)

That’s the plan.

Compare to Elvis or The Beatles and this is nothing. :laugh:

QUOTE="Josip, post: 26588922, member: 25533"]So, now she's joining the anti Crosby camp with Neil and Nash by remixing his work on Song to a Seagull?! :)[/QUOTE]
    Crosby was not credited as the mix engineer, just producer. So it’s possible he didn’t even cause the problems that Joni has made those comments about. In fact, the presence of “pre-reverb” tapes to make this new mix shows that the reverb may have even been a mistake at the end by someone else.

By the way, the ongoing discussion thread for all things branded JMA (archive boxes and studio boxes) is here:
    'The Joni Mitchell 'Archives': Discussion Thread!

21. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

After reading that she remixed Song to a Seagull, I'm in. Give me 2 of these sets.

22. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I have to say even on my rather crappy computer speakers here at work, those samples (A Case of You and Big Yellow Taxi) sound pretty great. I'm going to try 'em out at home on a better system tonight, but basically I'm totally in for this set. AAA vinyl, Grundman, Joni, and a remix of Seagull to boot - plus, really not a bad price on Amazon at $99 and may go down.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  23. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Agree. The first Archives set of early years previously non-commercially released material I think indicates we'll be getting both types of releases - reissues of her catalog plus sets with rare archival material.

The thought of upcoming sets with outtakes, unreleased tracks, works in progress etc taken from the FOR THE ROSES through MINGUS era has me salivating. Fingers and toes crossed.

marcfeld69, RAZORMADE and audiotom like this.
  24. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Yes, the plan is to do an archive set and album set for each era.

audiotom, DrJ and DeRosa like this.
  25. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

This is so well thought out and logical. Too bad another Canadian singer songwriter with an Archive didn't do it this way. :agree:

tms766, RAZORMADE, DrJ and 6 others like this.