Joni Mitchell--The Reprise Albums (1968-1971) release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrew Blaker, Apr 8, 2021.

1. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I find Joni to have so much more talent & insight that the other “Canadian singer songwriter” so it doesn’t matter to me.

Kundalini likes this.
  2. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Gordon Lightfoot? ;)

Peachy, stever, rkt88 and 2 others like this.
  3. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Ron Sexsmith? ;)

that would be great.

stever likes this.
  4. Slipperbisk

Slipperbisk Forum Resident

New email from official account:

"We're crossing our t's and dotting our i's on the press check for Joni's THE REPRISE ALBUMS (1968-1971) (cat not included). It's true we've had to move the release date to July 2nd but trust us, it'll be worth the wait. In the meantime, we're listening to the newly remastered version of "Both Sides Now." Join us, won't you?"

5. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Weird that they don't post a track from Seagull as it's remixed. If the remix floors me I would probably take the bait and purchase it. Both Sides Now doesn't sounds any different to me than it did before.

fallbreaks likes this.
  6. I like it, but I can see they have plenty of room to play with it and go the other way. I'm sure it'll be good.

7. v3spertine

v3spertine Forum Resident

will these be released seperately?

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have the original CDs...

9. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Just the box set.

10. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Cool! A couple of them been hard to find in stores for decades now (and Seagull and Clouds haven’t had vinyl releases in 40 years) so this is for the fans that weren’t around to purchase the originals or who want to hear the new mix of Song To A Seagull

Kundalini, GregorSamsa and Michael like this.
  11. SongAndDanceMan

SongAndDanceMan Forum Resident

Source?

12. Michael

I'm on the fence! I love Joni!

13. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

In my opinion it’s worth it for the Seagull remix.

14. Michael

I'll have to look into the pricing...: )

15. pulpo

pulpo Forum Resident

In my opinion most of those 80s CDs sound great but I'm hoping some of these are even better. Also very excited to hear StaS remixed.

But even then her 70s output has only been remastered in CD once, right? In the late 90s, over 20 years ago. (Plus two DCC CDs, which were limited audiophile releases and not part of a remastering campaign). I reckon this is a perfect time for another batch of remasters, and we even get archival releases this time!

16. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

No, there was another remaster, for Blue at least from Japan which was a SHM-CD. This is best avoided as it’s very compressed.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  17. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

The remix reveals Crosby moaning some accompaniment to the song in each verse. Starts when she gets to the "she has" lines in each verse (the words change each time though).
    I'd always heard it very faintly on the original, and they've made it obvious this time.

It's ****amn beautiful...
    He very subtlely imitates the rise and fall of the waves on the ocean, perhaps from a schooner...it intensifies each time and subsides...

18. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Yes. This is the remix? For some reason I had a fear they were going to completely axe all the reverb and make it bone dry. I have no idea why I feared that, but I'm certainly glad they didn't. The record still sounds of its time, it's gorgeous.

19. SongAndDanceMan

I have this box set in my cart and have been close to preordering but would really like to know if they are generic jackets or sturdy tip on jackets first. If I am getting a box set I would really need it to be good mastering AND good packaging. I suppose it's just a preorder so I could cancel if I find out otherwise but still.

20. Vinyl Socks

I ordered not just to have these beautiful albums, but to make sure Joni still has bread flowing in. She never had that string of hits or decades of heavy touring to line her pockets. No doubt she's comfortable, but she can have my $110 plus shipping.
    Looking at my original tip ons, they are very nice. No idea if they will be faithfully replicated. I'd like to see a precise recreation of the For the Roses jackets ;)
    The mastering remains to be heard. I can't find any info about this.

21. Vinyl Socks

No. HDCD masterings were released around 1997, I believe.

marcfeld69 and Kundalini like this.
  22. SongAndDanceMan

About the mastering, according to Fremer it's AAA cut by Grundman for everything except Song To A Seagull which is high res digital

23. Vinyl Socks

Ordered!

24. GregorSamsa

GregorSamsa Forum Resident

That's really nice and I'm glad the remix makes it that bit clearer. Also reminds me of that moment her voice breaks through in Crosby's 'Laughing' a couple of years later.

jlf and Vinyl Socks like this.
  25. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

ha! was trying to guess...