Joni Mitchell--The Reprise Albums (1968-1971) release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrew Blaker, Apr 8, 2021.

1. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Those are Joni’s backing vocals, unless you’re hearing something different?

John DeAngelis likes this.
  2. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

No you can hear a male, probably Crosby. Very low down. Someone on Ytube pointed it out. Have never read he contributed to it, who else could it be ?

Kundalini and Vinyl Socks like this.
  3. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

I'm hearing the soft but resonant tone of Croz humming along.

4. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Considering it is un-credited, it surely is Crosby. I mean, it sounds exactly like something he would have contributed.
    Only Croz and Joni would know, I suppose...

Kundalini likes this.
  5. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

Pre ordered from Amazon US as would prefer the pressed at RTI LP’s as opposed to optimal and no idea if the Europe version will have tip on jackets etc! Actually worked out cheaper with shipping and duty to buy from America anyway!

6. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

I'll be buying this, although I'm more excited about the companion archive box to follow. Is there much studio stuff that can be used? Or will it be mainly live? (The Carnegie Hall and BBC show(s) are certs, I guess. I wonder whether Amchitka will be included.)

7. SongAndDanceMan

SongAndDanceMan Forum Resident

There has been no confirmation on the tip-on jackets AFAIK. They just say "premium packaging" which to me could suggest tip-ons but it could just mean that it's nicely presented in a box. The best evidence for the tip-on is that this Joni Mitchell - Early Joni - 1963 (Vinyl) from earlier in the series is a tip-on.

8. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Does anybody know if the CD version will be a 7x7 box like the first archival boxset or if this is going to be a standard CD-sized box?
    Looking at the pictures on Amazon, it seems to be a smaller 5x5 box but I am not sure....

9. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

[​IMG] From the LA Times:

Mitchell has spent much of the pandemic curating a series of archival releases that will span her genre-busting career. With the help of her longtime friend and associate Marcy Gensic, she’s been approving rare live takes, outtakes, demos and remastered versions of tracks from her first four albums, in what will become “Joni Mitchell Archives Vol. 2: The Reprise Years (1968-1971),” set for release Oct. 29.

Joni Mitchell opens up to Cameron Crowe about singing again, lost loves and 50 years of 'Blue'

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  10. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Great article :righton:

Kundalini and polchik like this.
  11. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Will there be separate releases for US & EU. The Rhino Faces set was a single high quality set for all countries.

12. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

There is another thread for the second archival release in October.

13. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Only way to find out is to wait and come back here - that sort of information is too useful at this stage - therefore the marketing department don't pass it on.

14. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

That’s actually a good idea. Didn’t think of it. I strongly suspect that these releases will be consistent between US and EU, but on the earlier releases, the US jackets were much closer to the originals.

Hardiman likes this.
  15. englishbob

George P and bluemooze like this.
  16. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I received a message that the vinyl box is delayed. Did anyone receive it?

17. englishbob

I was delayed until early July a month or so ago I think so I don't think anyone will have it yet.

I had it on my list of ones to get once the price drops. Average price in the UK is around £120 ($166 USD) and that is very high for 4 records, especially when the excellent Rhino ones have been selling for around £18 each.

£30 for each album is taking the pee

Daveymoore likes this.
  18. SongAndDanceMan

I preordered from my local store in Canada and can get it for 120CAD

19. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

It did drop to £96.99 on Amazon U.K. but it’s back up now.

20. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I thought it was $99 or $109 in the US. Can't remember. My preorder in Japan is around $100

21. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

Looks like Acoustic Sounds has the Hoffman and Grey cut of blue back in stock, I ordered that along with the Bernie mastered court and spark and will likely cancel the box, not sure I those 4 particular records if I can pick up those two to tide me over for now!

22. SongAndDanceMan

I'd be weary that is the Hoffman/Gray cut, more likely just the Gray cut. Although they sound pretty much identical.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  23. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

The description certainly seems to indicate its the Hoffman/Grey, But I'm with you, I've already sent an email asking the question!

neubian and bluemooze like this.
  24. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

Please let us know what they say. :)

25. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Agree this is too high unless we are talking heavy textured card stock with tip on jackets. Even then it’s still a little on high price.
    Has it been mentioned about the Joni at Carnegie Hall 1969 3LP set too.