Joni Mitchell--The Reprise Albums (1968-1971) release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrew Blaker, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

When you say "Bernie" Court And Spark, are you referring to the Rhino 2009 Chris Bellman cut (at BGM)? Or is there a BG cut that I'm not aware of? (Besides what he may be going for the second album box set, probably next year.)

I recently ordered what I thought was the Bellman, from Music Direct, but I received the EU version (has a "Made in Germany" sticker on the back, and does not have the embossed front cover) that was done in-house at Optimal (which I gather is from digital). I still need to get in touch with MD, but I'm looking for another source for the Bellman, so if that's what you get from Acoustic Sounds, please let me know and I'll try to get one there. (My local only has the EU, and Amazon.ca's product images show the EU back cover, so I expect the same there.)

2. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

I pre-ordered from Joni's site and it was $109, after shipping and taxes put it at $130. I haven't gotten an email yet regarding it being on the way. Isn't it suppose to be released on the 25th? Perhaps it will go out Monday?

3. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

My apologies, mastered by Grundman and cut by Bellman is what I meant! I assumed it was going to be the US cut so will be disappointed if not! I’ll let you know what I get!

Edit: Joni Mitchell-Court And Spark-180 Gram Vinyl Record|Acoustic Sounds

That’s what I ordered

Fractured likes this.
  4. George P

George P Notable Member

Did Bernie also master the CDs for this set?

5. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

and to add to George P’s question, could anyone tell me where the Cds and box were manufactured?

6. mackat

mackat Turntable hoar-...um, collector

From what I can see, it looks like it was originally due to be released on the 25th, but has been pushed back to July 2nd.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The same confusion surrounds Hejira. There's a Bellman cut--the first reissue on Rhino--and then there are other versions with the same UPC. As far as I can tell, the only way to tell the difference is the loose shrink-wrap on the LP.

In the case of that album, this is the only one I know to actually have the Bellman cut (with the loose wrap and this specific hype sticker). There are plenty of other Hejira issues with the same UPC, making it confusing:

[​IMG]

Fractured likes this.
  8. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

To be fair if they’re both AAA and sound good it shouldn’t matter, but will have to inform them as it’s a bit false advertising for the blue record as Hoffman’s name is all over the description!

9. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I got my copy if the box set this past weekend but haven't played it yet. The packaging is very nice. All thick gatefolds. Anyone else have it?

10. Echoes Myron

Chris Bellman dispelled this rumor.

11. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Forum Resident

Thanks for that. Odd that these rumours even start in the first place.

12. olinko

olinko Forum Resident

Could you maybe take some photos of it? :)

13. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Not without an audio review

14. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

I thought it was pushed back to July 2nd. I haven't gotten an email update or anything. Hope they haven't forgotten me.

15. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

TY. I just "bought" the hi-res Reprise download, then discovered it was only a pre-order, with ETA July 2, as you say.

The only digital Joni I have from the Reprise years is "Blue", so 3/4 of this will be new to me (as albums). I like that they are not bundling the new Archives and old officials together, potentially making people buy things they already had to get at the archives.

Gonzo-a-gogo and mackat like this.
  16. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I picked up my copy of the CD box yesterday…plan to listen to it tonight.

17. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Is the box CD sized? - or Archive set sized?

18. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I don’t have archives however going from memory seeing it in the store it’s packaged similarly.

19. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I saw someone's picture of Archives Vol. 1, and it looked to be a standard CD-sized packaging, except wider, and that a "book cover" of sorts encloses it on front and back. So if your shelving is *just* *so* for the height of CDs, this might run over a bit.

noname74 likes this.
  20. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

frightwigwam likes this.
  21. Echoes Myron

I guess I got an early copy (local indy brick and mortar). Yay me.

The RTI packaging is really top notch. Thick cardboard gatefold with tip-on art.

I can say Song to a Seagull is easily the best I have ever heard it (I have a copy or two, early US reissue). Much improved clarity and just beautiful midrange tone. Flat, thick, quiet vinyl as well.

The real test is going to be Blue. The Hoffman/Gray (and Gray alone) is gonna be tough to beat!

22. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

Be curious to hear your feedback on Blue, recently ordered a copy from AS that I was told was the Hoffman/Grey cut. Hasn’t arrived yet though!

23. SongAndDanceMan

SongAndDanceMan Forum Resident

Great to hear!

driverdrummer likes this.
  24. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

It appears the box set has disappeared from iTunes.

25. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

…and Tidal.