Joni Mitchell To Perform Again (2023 and beyond)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Oct 20, 2022.

1. jlf

jlf Forum Resident Thread Starter

Brandi Carlile broke the news—

Two nights at the Gorge in George, Washington.

• Night 1, June 9, 2023: Brandi Carlile & Special Guests (tbc)
    • Night 2, June 10, 2023: Joni Mitchell featuring Brandi Carlile & Joni Jam

No ticket details yet but rumor has it more information is coming today.

2. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Hmm, wonder what flights to Seattle are like in June

3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Saw her 3x before - but that is worth the trip.

kt66brooklyn and 7solqs4iago like this.
  4. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Would also want to make the pilgrimage to Snoqualmie for a sight of the Twin Peaks waterfall

Sean, micksmuse and Auntie Pho like this.
  5. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

I wonder how she'll sound.

Boom Operator likes this.
  6. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

Easy to find out!

7. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I'll be making the usual inquiries

8. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Omigosh. Haven't been out to Gorge in some years, but Joni will be a wonderful reason to return if I can score tickets.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
  9. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Honestly can't imagine this will be a hard ticket to get. The place is huge and Joni while a legend doesn't exactly draw like GaGa or Taylor - especially as the Gorge is not a super accessible venue for old folks, requiring lots of trekking as well as being several hours drive from population centers.

ARK, MarkO, aphexj and 1 other person like this.
  10. anth67

I hope you're right, and the shows will sell gradually with an eventual sellout or close to it by day of ~ everyone who wants to go can. But most concerts aren't specifically plugged nationally by Brandi Carlisle...or as exclusive an opportunity as this. I'll just say, I'm not going to sit on buying tickets once they're available.

aphexj likes this.
  11. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Three times I saw Joni were
    - club that held 500 in NYC
    - opening act for Bob Dylan at MSG
    - opening for Pete Townshend in Bethel NY

Only the first was sold out

Gorge holds 27,500 and is in middle of nowhere

ARK likes this.
  12. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

She's had a pretty 'viral' moment since then, with lots of news coverage for her return at Newport and positive reception for all her recent Archives releases. I don't know that it will be the hottest ticket ever, but hopefully, given the scarcity of her appearances, the venue will be close to full with a loving, appreciative audience

I've gone ahead and made travel arrangements already, pending a ticket in hand that is!

13. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Her early LPs used to be dollar bin staples and now are >$20 at some stores after how Brandi Carlile and Taylor Swift have talked about her. Maybe that will translate to ticket sales.

14. jlf

jlf Forum Resident Thread Starter

Echoes Through the Canyon - 'Joni Jam II' - announced for June 10

[​IMG]
    Is this Dreamland coming on? Could this be the Only Joy in Town? We got a break, unbelievable!

The secret is out- Joni will be performing live again for the second Joni Jam - 'Echoes through the Canyon' - with Brandi Carlile. Set your sights for June 10, 2023 at the Gorge Amphitheater in George, Washington. Tickets will be sold in three increments: an Artist presale starts at 10am on Thursday October 27. Then, the public sale of tickets begins at 10am on Friday, October 28 (Both times are US Pacific).

Also, Citi cardmembers will have access to presale ticketsbeginning Tuesday, October 25 at 10:00am until Thursday, October 27 at 10:00pm local time through the Citi Entertainment program.

We'll post any updates here, as details may change over the next few days. Amelia, this is not a false alarm.

ARK, aseriesofsneaks, anth67 and 4 others like this.
  15. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Not a big Joni fan myself, but even for me I find it really heart warming and wonderful that she's able to and wants to get back out there and that a group of younger artists like Carlisle have been so supportive and helped her do so.

No Blue Skies, ARK, TonyCzar and 6 others like this.
  16. John LaMartine

John LaMartine Lizard King wannabe

This would be a very nice two-fer for me. Never been to the Gorge (yet) - it's driveable from the Portland area, and...Joni! I have always regretted I never got to see Joni live. Given her age and overall health, this gig might get canceled at some point, but, other than that, I'm in!

bug2362, jlf and BeauZooka like this.
  17. anth67

I saw her sing "Goodbye Blue Sky" at the Berlin Wall concert, but that was hardly enough. I've regretted missing my chance at the Gorge in '98. Seeing her now would be more profound than then, methinks.

As for draw, Brandi's going to be bringing folks out, too, remember. Portland loves her. She's playing the 19K-seater Moda Center on New Year's Eve on her name alone.

jlf and oneslip17 like this.
  18. reg slade

reg slade Forum Resident

middle of nowhere?
    get a grip

go to a remote place in an upper province of canada if
    you wanna be in “the middle of nowhere”

Six String likes this.
  19. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Interesting that I don't see any "exclusive" billing. That said, I still think you will only need 1 hand to count Joni's shows next year.

20. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

What qualifies as an "upper" province, please? Since you're the one offering geography pointers around here...

Aftermath likes this.
  21. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

No one’s been able to buy a ticket to see Joni Mitchell play in 20 years. This could be the last chance for anyone to do so. I see that in recent months, the likes of Jack Johnson, Dave Matthews, The Chicks...have played the Gorge. Something tells me Joni Mitchell will do just fine.

jlf likes this.
  22. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The Gorge has been part of the "shed" circuit bands play on summer tours since the 90's at least. It's not an obscure place.

ARK and SRC like this.
  23. oneslip17

oneslip17 Forum Resident

I'll be there!

RAZORMADE and jlf like this.
  24. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

It's not an obscure place, but it is 3 hrs from a city without lots of local hotel options and I doubt many fans of 60s-70s hitmakers are big into camping in 2022.

She will draw a nice crowd and I hope to be among them. But standard GA tickets will likely be sold for below face on the day of the show. A harder and more expensive task will be booking a convenient hotel. I'd get on that first.

BeauZooka likes this.
  25. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Haven't seen her since '74 in Connecticut, her Red Rocks gigs were always rainouts. Hissing was a 99center all over, especially at Wooworths, I bought tons and gifted them for years.

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.