Jonny Quest - Original Series on Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by John B, Jun 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue. Thread Starter

Great news. Loved this show as a kid. Scariest show I was allowed to watch and watched it with my own sons many years later.

Extra good news is that this Blu-Ray is not censored!

Jonny Quest: The Complete Series Blu-ray

PhilBorder, TMRY, RickH and 3 others like this.
  2. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Hope it has a remastered opening theme. I just recorded what's available on YouTube and it's an improvement over what I heard back when it originally aired but there's got to be a reason a cartoon needed to be issued on Blu-ray when there's very little detail to capture unless one can see the glistening black ink of the brush stroke line work on the animation cells.

DVD couldn't capture this? The screenshots on the Blu-ray.com link don't show up very sharp. There's a kind of softness to them. But I'm just being picky.

Thanks for posting this.

John B likes this.
  3. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

4. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Look at all those Windsor Newton red sable #3 keyline brush strokes! I had one of those brushes and it had the sharpest point of any brush I ever used to ink cartoons on illustration board.

Now all that's done digitally using a vector pen tool. Not the same in my opinion.

hi_watt and John B like this.
  5. John B

That is the more recent version, not the original:

Blank Frank likes this.
  6. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Jonny Quest; the lynch pin of my Saturday morning cartoon ritual. That and the early(good) Scooby Doo.

French toast with bacon for breakfast, then out with the 'boys' to be hooligans on our Schwinn Stingrays (with the white banana seat).

The theme music is top notch! :righton:

7. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

Ordered. Thank you. I had a burned DVD with the edited episodes from Boomerang (where they were not PC edited). I would keep that with that set. Going to be nice to have with better quality.

John B likes this.
  8. John B

I wasn’t cool enough to own a banana seat but idolized the kids who did. I owned a Rambler.

The original Scooby-Doo is coming out soon on Blu-Ray. Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!: The Complete Series Blu-ray

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    Erik Tracy likes this.
  9. supermd

supermd Senior Member

10. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Some of us are old enough to remember it when it ran first run episodes at night in "prime time".
    Best theme song EVER.

(Has the soundtrack ever been available?)

kronning likes this.
  11. The Wanderer

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Got it, checked out all the special bits, and I think it looks spectacular.

My beef with the Blu-ray is they mixed the dialog track about 2-3 dB too low compared to the music and sound effects, so it's a ****ty mix. If you can live with that, the picture quality is exemplary and the shows are complete and uncut for the first time in a long time (reportedly never before on home video). I watch an awful lot of TV on my system, and everything else is fine, but this show is not -- that tells me somebody used bad judgement and made bad creative choices. Not the first time nor the last that this will happen.

There is a quasi-legal 1990s soundtrack of Hoyt Curtin's music available, and it has the rare long version of the Jonny Quest theme song, plus some uncut sessions with count-offs, background chatter, conductor comments, and so on...

https://www.amazon.com/Jonny-Quest-Hoyt-Curtin/dp/B01M9G8CD7

conjotter, thestereofan and John B like this.
  13. AVTechMan

AVTechMan Forum Resident

This is interesting....I already have the original series on the DVD set when it was out; however I was able to re-edit the changed/omitted dialogs back in where they belonged with the affected episodes I had from Boomerang.

Might check this out, but I think the set I have will be fine for me. What about the end credits? Some have complained from the DVD set about Doug Wilder's name not being included in the closing credits.

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The Blu-rays very definitely credit Doug Wildey, and indeed there's a "making of" documentary that goes into great detail about his original sketches, his concepts, his layouts, and where the show ideas came from. I thought the most interesting part was that Wildey insisted on the occasional use of black in the background, which was not done often in mass-market network TV animation (then or now).

John B and woody like this.
  15. John B

Do you know this is from the wrong set of episodes? Your pictures are from the remake. A “Seeker of Truth” would want to get it right! ;)

16. The Wanderer

17. The Wanderer

I was always a watcher of original Jonny Quest.

But you do not understand - A Seeker of Truth seeks the truth, does not know the truth in all things, but seeks it.

18. John B

Glad to help you on your “Quest” for truth.

19. Please help a wayward doofus find his way.
    I watched Jonny Quest without fail as a kid.
    My favorite episode, by a long margin, is "The Invisible Monster" because it has everything.

I purchased the DVD set years ago when it became available.

What would I gain in purchasing the Blu-ray set?

20. woody

woody Forum Resident

Better image quality and unedited episodes. Seem to be similar extras.

John B likes this.
  21. John B

Look at the link in the first post. Once in you’ll see further links if you want to go into more detail.

In short, you’ll get an improved picture and there was some censoring in the DVD (explained in the fore-mentioned links).

22. John B

Oops. You beat me to it!

23. woody

woody Forum Resident

Y’all got me so excited for this I went and bought it and I’m only a passing JQ fan.

John B likes this.
  24. The Wanderer

Thank you - Always questing, sometimes finding the truth.

John B likes this.
  25. John B

Should you ever believe you know the truth, it’s time to roll over.

Words for us all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.