Jonny Quest - Original Series on Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by John B, Jun 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

Did the DVD also suffer from this audio mixing problem?

2. Not that I have noticed, but I have not listened with a critical ear trying to find issues. I just watched and enjoyed the episodes.

LSP2003 likes this.
  3. TMRY

TMRY Forum Resident

Got mine on June the 8th and watched them all as soon I as could. I also loved this show when I was a kid and I loved going back and re-watching. The Warner Archive edition is great, a must own if you liked the series.

John B likes this.
  4. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

Sounds like I should upgrade my DVD. Great show!

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I have no idea. I'm only talking about the brand-new Blu-ray release that came out last week. As far as I know, the same mix is used for all release formats.

My curse is that if there's an obvious technical flaw, it's gonna stop me from enjoying anything.

John B and LSP2003 like this.
  6. AlecA

AlecA Forum Resident

The one you linked to is a fully legit, limited edition 2-cd edition from 2016.

JONNY QUEST: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET)

Shawn likes this.
  7. TheHypnoToad

TheHypnoToad Senior Member

Vidiot and Shawn like this.
  8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Ah, pardon me -- I also own them both, but it's been so many years, I couldn't remember which one was the boot. Does the La La Land version have session countoffs and all that stuff, too?

(BTW, I actually got the "HypnoToad" joke and laughed!)

9. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue. Thread Starter

Please share!

10. Funny, I’m usually sensitive to these things but, after watching the first four episodes from the new Blu-Ray I’m not noticing a balance issue in levels between dialog and sound effects / music. The sound effects should be a bit louder IMO as they’re ‘noise’ type effects (explosions, gun shots etc.). Music doesn’t overpower dialog, so far anyways.

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Perhaps we hear things differently. The only episode I watched was "Invisible Monster."

12. John B

Were you able to sleep last night?

DPM likes this.
  13. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Right. That episode still creeps me out over 50 years later.

sunspot42 and John B like this.
  14. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

oh man I forgot about that one.
    Yea, no desire to see that any time soon.

John B likes this.
  15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Rough night -- watched the final 2 episodes of Game of Thrones right before bed and had quite a few nightmares.

John B likes this.
  16. John B

The Game of Thrones might have a few production advantages over the original Jonny Quest (you’d known that better than most..... ;) ). There is something to be said for the terror/thrill you feel as a child that diminishes as we get older. I’m going with “The Invisible Monster” as being the scariest.

DPM likes this.
  17. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

Sounds like this is worth upgrading. I just ordered it on Amazon for $24.99. It will be here in about two weeks. Thanks for all of your input!

John B likes this.
  18. Greg Z

Greg Z Forum Resident

I never expected to have Jonny Quest in this quality. This was my favorite childhood cartoon.
    I am not noticing any problems with the dialog being too low in the mix. The only flaws I have
    found so far were also in the DVD and not corrected this time either. In the Pursuit of the Po-Ho
    episode there is a missing splash when Race jumps out of the water. Monster in the Monastery has
    an extra bit of dialog where Bandit growls and Jonny says "quiet boy". This messes up the sync of the
    audio and you get Hadji's mouth moving followed by him saying "hey, what's he doing" a few seconds
    later. These were known issues discussed here:
    DVD Audio Deficiencies

I ended up using the wav samples from that site and correcting the flaws myself.

19. DPM

DPM Senior Member

My order from amazon is arriving tomorrow. I sense an impending Jonny Quest marathon this weekend. Invisible monster be damned!

John B and LSP2003 like this.
  20. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

I will have to wait a week but I will be doing that as well!

John B likes this.
  21. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

I'm going to dig into my copy tonight. Bullmoose.com is selling it for $19.97. I ordered it on July 2 and rec'd it July 5. The package went from ME to AZ.

John B likes this.
  22. John B

Be very very very careful when you say that. Remember what happened to the inventor..........

DPM likes this.
  23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I had already seen Forbidden Planet, so I already knew what an invisible alien monster created from sheer energy, one that could tear people apart, would be like.

Behold... the HYPNOTOAD!
    [​IMG]

John B likes this.
  24. Animation and design was really cool particularly for the time (and for TV no less) but I watched it recently and it didn't hold up quite as well as I thought in the writing area.

25. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

It's a kids show. It's fantastic for the era. When it works it works really well, though.

wayneklein and Jazzmonkie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.