Joseph M. Palmaciccio

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jgrig0, Jun 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomcat

tomcat Senior Member

I think the Sanctuary remix is very clearly sounding, BUT: it lacks the original reverb on Greg Lake's vocals in "Still... You Turn Me On"! This is very confusing once you got accustomed to the original recording...
    "Pictures..." on Sanctuary is a fantastic live recording. I never was aware that "The Sage" was also recorded live - it is so clean, I always thought it was recorded in a studio!
    Thomas

2. Arjan

Arjan Senior Member

Can anybody here comment on his mastering of the time traveller box set by the Moody Blues.

3. quentincollins

quentincollins Forum Word Nerd

I checked it out from my local library a couple of months ago, and while I can't remember absolute specifics about the sound, it did sound very good in general. It may have been slightly compressed (again, I can't remember too much), but it certainly didn't give me listener's fatigue, and by my standards, that's good enough right there. No NR, either.

4. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

Been listening to a lot of Laura Nyro lately. I thought Mark Wilder's 2002 remasters of her individual CDs sound more natural than Palmaciccio's 2000 "Time and Love-The Essential Masters". But Essential is just what these songs are and I'd buy it again even though Palmaciccio's work sounds a little too bright to me by comparison.

5. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I really liked his work on the Essential Neil Diamond.

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I know that JP remastered some Sony titles on SACD, I just can't recall them right now. Can anybody help me out here?

7. jgrig0

jgrig0 Active Member Thread Starter

While I am generally a big fan of JP's remastering work, I just bought The Essential Redbone CD and it's VERY heavy on the bass. I turned my bass completely down and it was still too heavy on some of the cuts. This is why I don't care for Bob Ludwigs work. I have a few of his remasters and it's always a bass heavy, muddy mess. (IMO). But just like the artists themselves, we all have our favourite engineers. I like Rudy Van Gelders work on the Jazz recordings while a lot of others on this list hate it. Beauty is in the ear of the beholder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.