Joy Division - Day by Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bettsaj, Mar 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.” Thread Starter

And for comparison, here's the RCA version

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  2. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Definitely one of my very favourites, although it might lose to Twenty Four Hours in the second poll.

I prefer the AIFL -version over the RCA one. It simply sounds clearer and it also packed quite a punch when I first heard it on Substance (my gateway to JD). I love the long intro that builds up tension and it’s married to a lovely, thrashy song with bizarre, ominous lyrics. This, to me, is the most obvious pointer on the EP to what would come soon after.

bettsaj and Pop_Zeus like this.
  3. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Big fan of No Love Lost. I've liked it even more since the superb intro was played over Sam Riley (as Ian) walking the streets in the Control film. I too prefer that version (AIFL). I too, like many others no doubt, first heard it on Substance. I'm glad we're done with the Warsaw demos, I was just thinking that the babyface album would be the absolute last purchase I'd recommend to a new/curious fan, and probably to a completist too. I've listened to the RCA demos a few times since the topic started and I don't really like any of them. I can't see myself playing that Warsaw CD for some time, as better versions are out there. And the sleeve is atrocious.

4. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

From Joy Division Central - Today in Joy Division History :

March 14

1979 Joy Division played live at Bowden Vale Youth Club, Altrincham

40 years ago today. Amazing to think that after all this time, people still love them and hold them in such high regard. I bet regardless of what New Order have achieved, that Bernard, Stephen & Peter will have people asking them about JD and Ian until the day they die. Quite a legacy. An interesting point on the above gig is that according to the UP remaster booklet, it was a 'strong contender' for inclusion on the bonus disc. Clips from it are on the JD documentary. Hopefully this will come out officially one day.

5. bettsaj

I also hate the babyface cover.... Whoever thought up that cover needs sacking. I like the RCA album on its own without the early Warsaw demos... I also prefer the original cover which looked like this....

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The original release also came with a free EP of peel session recordings. Really and truly it was a great package, and looked much better than that horrendous babyface sleeve.I had an original pressing of this on orange vinyl back in the day, with a yellow vinyl Peel EP in it. I think the RCA album holds up as a whole, when listened in isolation from those awful early demos. They should never have been included in the babyface release. I actually think the RCA album in its original format is a must for anyone getting into JD.

asdf35 and Pop_Zeus like this.
  6. bettsaj

Here';s some footage from that very concert... Tracks played

She's Lost Control
    Shadowplay
    Leaders Of Men

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  7. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Different strokes.
    Although I do agree that the Ideal Beginnings stuff is problematic I would recommend the Warsaw boot without any doubt. No top-shelf JD, but it’s still a pretty good listen and it’s an important stepping stone. Nothing to be embarrassed about.

8. bettsaj

The Warsaw album without the early demos I think is better. Maybe instead of giving the peel sessions ep away with the original pressing they should have included the Warsaw demo ep as a 7" single...

Last year the RCA album was slated for release on rsd but got pulled at the last minute... no sign of it this year either

9. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

@bettsaj thanks for the planned RCA sleeve. Never seen that before. Well, not the back with tracklist anyway. I suppose yes, the demos do drag down the RCA disc somewhat. Ultimately, I’m glad they scrapped it anyway. The Drawback as an opener? Really?

10. bettsaj

That unknown pleasures sleeve above is the sleeve for the original 1981 bootleg, not the rsd planned sleeve... the sleeve planned for last year's rsd was this

[​IMG]

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  11. bettsaj

So far, atmosphere is the clear front runner in the poll....

12. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

I wonder why the RSD release was scrapped. That is one nice marbled LP

13. bettsaj

I think it was likely Sumner.... Peter Hook has actively promoted the JD back catalogue over the last few years... Where Sumner has really only performed any JD songs with New order because I feel he thinks he has to. I think Hooky would want to see them released but Sumner I feel has likely put a spanner in the works. It's a shame as the remaster of AIFL that was released in 2014 for RSD is excellent, a good remaster. I can only imagine what a remaster of the RCA album would sound like

It was planned to be a gatefold too

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    Pop_Zeus likes this.
  14. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

"No Love Lost" - a revelation at the time. Powerful stuff. A great band emerges.

Pop_Zeus and bettsaj like this.
  15. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

All my very favorites are later in the alphabet

Transmission
    She’s Lost Control
    Shadowplay
    (A) Means To End
    Interzone
    Twenty-four Hours
    New Dawn Fades
    Novelty
    Isolation

So, of this list I’ll pick

Atmosphere

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  16. bettsaj

Day 8

Leaders of Men

The third and penultimate track from the bands self financed EP, Leaders of Men became a live concert staple for around the first year of their touring life, looking at the early bootleg recordings available. This is great song and one where I actually think the RCA version is not as good. The drum sound on the AIFL version is more gritty, where the drum sound on the RCA version is lacking character in my mind. This has been performed by Peter Hook And The Light on a fairly regular basis for the last 7 years or so.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  17. bettsaj

And for comparison....... The RCA version....

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  18. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Another awesome song. Nice dynamics on display.

The AIFL-version has some reverb on the drums and sounds more intimidating than the RCA.
    The one thing that floors me about this song is the concluding guitar bit. Absolutely cool!

Pop_Zeus and bettsaj like this.
  19. bettsaj

That guitar bit you speak about...... Bernard must have discovered picking...... That's a nice guitar line actually and is a lot clearer on the RCA version, and shows that the maturity and mentality in the band was changing as well as their musicianship. It's no longer just thrash thrash thrash for the sake of it... Now the songwriting is more considered and structured with more thought being put into the arrangements. This EP is night and day compared to those early demos, and is clearly the link between those early demos and what would be recorded on the Factory Sample, and indeed Unknown Pleasures later. As soon as Martin Hannett comes on the scene, things change overnight.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    Pop_Zeus likes this.
  20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Leaders Of Men - A cracker. Deep funky opening. Great, ominous guitar. Grave vocal. Joy Division.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  21. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Great song. Not much to add to last few comments really. Just that I look forward to the end of the RCA versions so I don’t have to see that stupid sleeve again

22. bettsaj

It moves up a gear in 2 days

23. bettsaj

Day 9

Failures

And the last track from An Ideal For Living... Failures, I love this song, and it's the one song where I honestly think the RCA version beats it hands down. The AIFL version seems to be a bit sloppy to me, where the RCA version in my opinion starts better, is better produced and also the vocals are better.... It's a much tighter performance. I just think it's better. The guitar solo in the AIFL version is nowhere near as good as the RCA version. back in the early 80's when I first acquired the Warsaw album on vinyl I played this song to death. I really like this song.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  24. bettsaj

And for comparison........ The RCA version

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  25. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Failures feels closer to their earlier demos. A good punk thrasher and very Stooges-like solo. After this terrific E.P., I couldn't wait to hear more from the band!

Pop_Zeus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.