Joy Division - Day by Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bettsaj, Mar 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcarr73729

jcarr73729 Forum Resident

I've been listening to the 'Ideal For Living' tracks (off the H&S boxed set) and flipping back and forth with their RCA counterparts, and I felt that my Movie Play Gold (MPG 74034) CD had a poor sound. That has the baby-face cover too. I had a hunt on the internet and found a better sounding version of the Warsaw RCA sessions which uses the UP-style sleeve above. It's listed as RZM Productions RZM JD 01. It's similar in quality to the three RCA tracks that made it onto H&S, so if you, like me, have the MPG CD, then I'd seek out the RZM version. I think the high-end has been pumped a little too much by whoever mastered the RZM, but that is more than made up for by the improvement versus the MPG version.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  2. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.” Thread Starter

Is your UP version of the Warsaw album a CD or vinyl...... ? RZM produced the original vinyl releases in the early 80's which is what I had

3. bettsaj

I'm on the market for a vinyl copy of the RZM Warsaw album, if anyone sees one on the net.

4. jcarr73729

jcarr73729 Forum Resident

I do not know if it's sourced from vinyl or CD, however it does suggest that it's a 2012 remaster of the original RZM 1989 release.
    I cannot hear any obvious vinyl surface noise.
    I found these notes on an infamous sea-faring website:
    This is the November 2012 Analog Loyalist remaster of the 1989 Bootleg CD [RZM JD 01]. Legend has it that RZM is code for (Alan) Erasmus, an original Factory partner who, with Tony Wilson and Peter Saville, started Factory Records in 1978. The legend states that Erasmus (say it aloud, and then say R-Z-M) arranged the 1981 bootleg release of the aborted 1978 album, and then further arranged for the material's first appearance on CD in 1989.

5. bettsaj

Ah ha.... I'll check it out.... I know where you mean.... just need to fire up my vpn

6. bettsaj

I've got 2 versions on vinyl of the Warsaw album and both are ok... the first one is on planet claire records and is a straight pressing from the baby face cd.. it has all the tracks including the demos..

Warsaw (3) - Warsaw

the second album is good and looks like it could be pressed from the original 80s masters and features the exact track listing as the original release... this one I got from Amazon of all places and it was released just after rsd last year

Warsaw (3) - Warsaw

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  7. bettsaj

I've found it...... But can't obtain it due to lack of things that you grow plants from

8. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

RCA-version for me as well.
    The rough-and-ready recording seems to do the song more justice. The guitar tone sounds better and I also prefer the vocal performance. The EP take is by no means bad, though.

Anyone else being stoked for monday?
    ;)

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  9. bettsaj

Yes, because it all begins proper with Factory Sample. 2 songs by JD on that release which are still classics...... 1 more off the Warsaw album for tomorrow, then we're flying.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  10. bettsaj

The strange thing i think is the AIFL version is as you say more akin to the early demos as it's more of a thrasher... but the RCA version is more polished and for that reason stands more in line with their early work like Interzone which found its way onto Unknown Pleasures............ It's all down to the production.

What would Failures have sounded like if Hannett had got them to record it?

Pop_Zeus and Purple Jim like this.
  11. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Sounds like another trip to Trax On Wax will have to be scheduled. :cool:

Got a mint Black Market Clash 10” one of the last times I went. Should check the JD stuff!

12. bettsaj

Trax On Wax... Catonsville??

If you're looking at the Warsaw album, give the Planet Claire release a miss, and go straight for the second one i listed above..... Much better. It's not available from Amazon.com, but it is from Amazon.co.uk

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Warsaw-V...ywords=warsaw&qid=1552749087&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  13. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Yup, been there?
    It’s a 10 minute drive from our home, straight onto the 695. Found some great bargains there, 50% off on bin items each wednesday. I’ll never forget getting a mint Decca ‘rainbow’ pressing of Who’s Next for a buck, which kinda was the best thing on vinyl I’ve ever heard. :cool:

Now I need to be patient to be able to hook up my record player onto something again... :disgust:

14. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Thanks btw for the link.
    It’s not too expensive and it gives me a heads-up of what to look for.

15. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

16. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Little inbetween-question:

Why didn’t the Still-version of Walked In Line make the box set? And why is the live version of Twenty Four Hours ignored on the cd of Still?

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  17. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

I guess only the people who compiled the box can answer the WIL question. I’d much rather have Twenty Four Hours on the Still CD than the live Sister Ray. A waste of seven minutes if you ask me

Failures - a decent enough finish to the EP, quite a hard rocking song and I do rather enjoy the RCA version as it happens

18. bettsaj

The version of walked in line on heart and soul is the original recording that was done before bernard Sumner over dubbed more guitars on it for still. The original version is obviously before ian died.... however the still version features overdubs recorded after curtis died....

Secondly, 24 hours was missed off still on CD purely for time reasons.... they couldn't fit it on there

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  19. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

They overdubbed most of the Unknown Pleasures session tracks for Still, I think they called it ‘added post production and guitar.’ Doesn’t help us in knowing why the ‘raw’ version appeared on H&S though.

Twenty Four Hours would have fit on without Sister Ray. A totally bizarre choice, cut a song out of the main live set on the disc, but include a cover from an entirely different gig instead. ???

20. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

A sensible option might have been making Still a double cd, but that move might not have been thought of as commercially viable.

21. bettsaj

Still was a double CD, as they included the whole of the High Wycombe Town Hall from the 20th February 1980, plus some songs recorded at the soundcheck. I totally agree that Including Sister Ray was in hindsight stupid. The moonlight Club gig featured some much better songs than that car crash...... It wasn't even a good cover for them to do. They should have cut out sister Ray from both the vinyl and the CD and included 24 hours "officially" and also ALL of ceremony.

Anyhow.... We're sidestepping...... We can discuss Still properly in a week or so :)

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  22. bettsaj

Day 10

The Drawback (All of This For you)

This first saw release on the original Warsaw album back in 1981 as it was then titled All Of This For you, and then a further "unofficial" release on CD in 1989 under the same name. It then saw an official release on the Heart And Soul box set in 1997 however it was then titled the Drawback. To me this song is an oddity, it doesn't sit right on the Warsaw album, and to me is just filler. It's tightly played, but i feel it's almost like the band are mocking themselves. I very rarely if ever play this song as I can't take it seriously enough.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  23. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

The Drawback is kinda fun.
    Very much a draft kinda thing to play at a soundcheck and an atypical album opener, if the Warsaw-album really was sequenced like that.
    I can’t dislike it. Sure, it’s very simple, but the performance is good, the fire is there and it’s simply too short to put a foot wrong.

bettsaj and Pop_Zeus like this.
  24. bettsaj

I find it almost too happy to be a Joy Division song...... :biglaugh:

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  25. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.