Joy Division/New Order Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Havoc, Mar 20, 2018.

1. rararabbits

rararabbits Forum Resident

I’d forgotten all about this sticker - I wonder what happened to mine? There’s a picture of it here:

Twitter

It was actually two stickers, the band name and title on one and the psychedelic cupid on the other. I suppose you could stick the former on the cover of the LP if you were ever afflicted by amnesia and couldn’t recall who’d made the LP that you already owned.

2. rararabbits

rararabbits Forum Resident

I love this song, the rueful faintly country-ish tone of it. “It’s not your right to be so much my enemy”, “...you won’t even talk to me”: heartbreak. Mind you, the narrator recalls Phil Oakey’s character in “Don’t You Want Me”, it sounds like he thinks he’s bought the right to love. No numerical score - I don’t think like that, virtually every track on here is stellar (“Run” is the only one I sometimes skip).

negative1 likes this.
  3. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

In Canada, Blue Monday wasn't on Power, Corruption & Lies and I was glad of it. It's my favourite album and I think Blue Monday kind of ruins it. You may feel differently. :)

HiFi Guy 008, c-eling and negative1 like this.
  4. m300

m300 Forum Resident

'MT one' is 'MTO' and refers to the Roland MT-32 they used throughout the album, but particularly that track.

5. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

So there are actually some songs on b-sides to the Technique singles that are not remixes??

6. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Yep.

"Don't Do It" on Fine Time
    "Best & Marsh" on Round + Round
    "MTO" on Run.

All instrumental tracks.

There's also "The Happy One" which was never released, but can found.

c-eling and DTK like this.
  7. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I remember being surprised that cassette had a different sleeve, which I didn't realize until a trip to Vancouver in early 2000s where I found a copy along with cassingle for Fine Time at a cool indie store near University of BC.

Does anyone actually hear similarity between Run and John Denver song? I confess that I don't.

c-eling and DirkM like this.
  8. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

I like the fact that many of NO's best songs were single-only releases. Not only does it make their discography more interesting to explore (kind of like the Smiths), but it feels like you get two great bands for the price of one: the singles band that evolves with each release and makes epic-sounding tracks, and the album band that isn't quite as daring but still makes eminently enjoyable music that distills the joy and essence of those singles into album-length statements.

As for Love Less, I love it. It's a mellow, laid-back, fun little song with all of the elements that make for a great NO song: catchy guitar riff, great bass sound, and a perfect vocal melody. Now that you folks mention it, the narrator does come across as rather entitled and unsympathetic ("I spent a lifetime working on you/And you won't even talk to me"), but that doesn't bother me. All I ask out of NO lyrics is that they scan well, and Love Less delivers on that front.

9. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

I've never heard the similarity either. It fascinates me, actually, because Run is one of my favourite songs by possibly my favourite band, whilst I find Leavin' On A Jet Plane (and Denver in general) to be flat-out terrible.

I found a site that points out the "similarities" between the two songs, but the connections strike me as weak (at best):

New Order's 'Run' - Discover the Sample Source

Certainly I've heard much more egregious "borrowing" in countless other songs.

c-eling, George P and Fruff76 like this.
  10. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

I could never hear it, at all. I don’t know how he was able to win that case.

11. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Thanks!

12. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Played it to death. Think my car ate it- remnants can still be found somewhere in a cornfield in Northern Michigan :laugh:
    I couldn't, but Pam nailed it the first time I played it for her. I asked if this sounded familiar in any way. "Sounds like an old Denver tune" she said.
    Best & Marsh I first heard on the cassingle.
    Both mixes of MTO on the import Run2, the only saving grace for this one was the OK extended Mix of Run2, maybe. The extra percussion kinda annoyed me.

JeffMo likes this.
  13. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

Wow, I like all the enthusiastic comments about the songs.

Getting way ahead of me. We'll get to all those songs, and the b-sides in time.

later

14. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

I’ll bite.

Technique was the first New Order album that I bought. I had taped Low-Life and Brotherhood off other people’s records, and I had compiled my own tape of the classic 12” singles up to that point, but Technique was the first album of theirs that had some flow which made me want to listen to it from start to finish in one sitting. Brotherhood had been a favorite of mine, but it still had tracks that I tended to want to skip.

Looking back on it 30 years later, I can say Technique is not their best work, but it’s *good* work. Some of the rough spots such as the out of breathe and out of tune vocals had been ironed out at that point, the melodic guitar tracks really helps the album flow. Their several seminal albums preceding it are now my favorites but at the time Technique was the first one that really clicked for me,

Fine Time was an obvious nonsense “dance track” but I liked the Speak-n-Spell aspect of the electronic vocals and I dug the energy. It works great as an opening. Then it ends and you get two “normal songs” that set up the rest of the album’s pace. I’ve always liked “All The Way” and “Loveless”. Oddly I liked “Round and Round” ok as an album track but downgraded it as a single because the VIDEO seemed to be copying from Godley & Creme’s “Cry” from the same time period.

Later in the album, “Run” was a highlight (even if the single didn’t really add much value) and “Vanishing Point” is simply a great track. Any album with “Vanishing Point” buried as a non-single album track must be a pretty decent album with some deep cuts, IMHO.

I understand why longtime fans invested in the New Order timeline didn’t like the slick Technique when it came out, but as a Midwesterner with little past history invested in the band this album seemed pretty darn good to me. It’s one of my oldest CD’s. Probably one of the first couple dozen I ever purchased.

gja586, Fruff76 and JeffMo like this.
  15. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

I always felt like Technique's "All the Way" sounded like an egregious impersonation of The Cure's "Just Like Heaven" from the previous year. :hide:

SteveCooks and negative1 like this.
  16. SteveCooks

SteveCooks Senior Member

Like The Cure ‘s « In Between Days » was a rip off of « Dreams Never End » ;-)

jalexander and morgan1098 like this.
  17. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I've been searching online for original press reviews of New Order (NME, Trouser Press) and haven't found anything. Do they exist online?

18. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

Song 4 - Round and Round

Round & Round (New Order song)
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Round & Round"
    [​IMG]
    Single by New Order
    from the album Technique
    B-side
    "Best & Marsh"
    Released 27 February 1989
    Format
    Recorded 1988
    Studio Mediterranean Studios
    (Ibiza, Balearic Islands, Spain)
    Real World Studios
    (Box, Wiltshire, England)
    Genre
    Length 4:31 (LP version)
    4:00 (7" version)
    6:52 (12" version)
    Label Factory (FAC 263)
    Songwriter(s)
    Producer(s)

Background
    The song is about New Order's then-souring relationship with Tony Wilson, the owner of Factory Records, which was the band's label at the time. On the documentary "New Order Story", Bernard Sumner discusses that he did not originally intend the song to be about Tony Wilson and the tension between Wilson and the group, but Sumner admits that growing tension between the two men ultimately was channelled into the song when it was being written.

Release
    Music video
    The music video for "Round & Round" features a series of eight successive black-and-white head-and-shoulder shots of young, female models, casually sitting in front of a camera as it records them, with the women occasionally talking (though what they say is not heard in the video). Randomly intercut into the footage of the women are various colorized short clips of flowers or marbles.

During the filming of the various models, it was decided to film additional footage of one model (Patty Sylvia) for an alternative cut of the video that features only Sylvia and the brief one-second color intercuts. Bernard's second wife, Sarah, is also rumoured to have appeared in the video; however, as she is rarely seen in public, it is difficult to confirm which one she is.

Veronica Webb is featured with a dreadlock hairstyle in the video. A very young Cynthia Bailey is also featured. Fabienne Terwinghe is the fourth model. Elaine Irwin is the last model shown.

Artwork
    The artwork by Peter Saville mirrors the Technique album cover, but uses a different statue with a red or blue (depending on which version is owned) background. With the single following the New Order tradition of not including the title within the lyrics, the line "The picture you see is no portrait of me" was stickered on varying sleeves.

Official versions
    The band recorded three versions:

• The album version (4:29), which appears on Technique, emphasises drums and bass for a hard dance feel. It concludes with a cold ending in which the sequencers are run through phasers before then cutting out abruptly.
    • The 7" version (4:00), co-produced by Stephen Hague, emphasizes the melody, synth pads, and vocals. It has a similar structure to the album version, but replaces the instrumental break with a repeat of the intro and fades out in conclusion. This is the version used in the music video. Bernard Sumner remarked in a radio interview with Terry Christian on Key 103 that he was not fond of the plethora of "Round & Round" remixes and named the 'Stephen Hague Radio-Remix' as his favourite.
    • The 12" version (6:52) has a 2:45 intro sequence and stops cold before proceeding much as in the 7" version. It has a wash of synthesizers and a keyboard solo midway through the song. Also, the line "It makes me act like a child" repeats several times as the song ends. Instead of fading out like the 7" version, it ends in a manner closer to the original album version though less discordant.
    These versions and other remixes were distributed on over twenty 7", 12", and CD single formats, many with exclusive artwork.[3] "Round & Round" has also appeared in various forms on New Order compilations. In 1994, "Round & Round" was remixed once again by Stephen Hague with Mike 'Spike' Drake for the compilation (the best of) New Order. This version revised Hague's 1989 seven inch remix removing many of the echoed refrains.

B-sides
    The single's main B-side was an instrumental, "Best & Marsh", which was written as the theme for a Granada TV series of the same name, featuring footballers George Best and Rodney Marsh.[5] The CD single also included an instrumental remix of "Vanishing Point", produced for the BBC drama series Making Out.

Track listing and formats
    All tracks written by Gillian Gilbert, Peter Hook, Stephen Morris and Bernard Sumner.

7": FAC 263 (UK)
    No.
    Title Length
    1. "Round & Round" 4:02
    2. "Best & Marsh" 3:34

12" #1: FAC 263 (UK)
    No.
    Title Length
    1. "Round & Round" 6:52
    2. "Best & Marsh" 4:26

12" #2: FAC 263R (UK) - Round & Remix
    No.
    Title Length
    1. "Round & Round" (Club Mix) (Remixed by Ben Grosse and Kevin Saunderson) 7:07
    2. "Round & Round" (Detroit Mix) (Remixed by Kevin Saunderson) 6:29

5" CD: FAC 263-12 (UK)
    No.
    Title Length
    1. "Round & Round" (7" version) 4:02
    2. "Vanishing Point" (Instrumental Making Out Mix) 5:13
    3. "Round & Round" (12" version) 6:52
    4. "Best & Marsh" 3:34

3" CD: FACD 263R (UK) - Round & Remix
    No.
    Title Length
    1. "Round & Round" (Club Mix) (Remixed by Ben Grosse and Kevin Saunderson) 7:07
    2. "Round & Round" (Remixed by Ben Grosse; not to be confused with "Round & Round" (12" version) 5" CD track 3 or 12" #1 track 1) 6:52
    3. "Round & Round" (Detroit Mix) (Remixed by Kevin Saunderson)

======================================================

This is the only song on the album that I think had potential.

Unfortunately the album version sounds dated with the orchestra hits,
    and synths, the remixes were much better.

I would rate the album version : 2/5

Will go through the remixes in more detail in other posts.
    Code:
    round & round                              4:29  v, cd, cs, dt
    round & round-94                           3:59  v, cd, cs, ld
    round & round (7" edit #1)                 3:31  v, cd, cs
    round & round (7" edit #2)                 3:59  v
    round & round (club mix)                   7:07  v, cd, cs
    round & round (detroit mix)                6:29  v, cd, cs
    round & round
    (lp edit - chris lord alge mix)            3:47  v
    round & round (twelve inch mix or
              12" version)                     6:52  v, cd
    round & round (twelve inch remix)          6:53  v, cd

Round & Round played 52 times and 3 way tie for 47/112 songs
    according to stats from setlist.fm

later

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    mtvgeneration and c-eling like this.
  19. Fruff76

I was 13 when this came out and it really sparked my passion for music. I used to walk miles to the nearest record store hoping to find a new single from this album. Round & Round probably epitomized that search, since it seemed like there were so many to collect. Love the song and the album. So many good memories.

20. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Round & Round is solid, by-the-numbers, effortlessly-catchy NO. I like it slightly less than the previous two tracks, but not by much. The album version, the 7" version, the 12" remix, even the 1994 remix...I enjoy them all. Lyrically, "the picture you see is no portrait of me" is only slightly less-awful than "you say the words that I can't say," but hey...for me, part of NO's charm is the inept lyricism.

21. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

Did you ever get this promo, it had the same mixes but a different cover:
    Neworder* - Round&round

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Neworder* ‎– Round&round
    Label:
    Factory ‎– Fac263
    Format:
    Vinyl, 12", 45 RPM
    UK
    Released:
    Genre:
    Electronic
    Style:
    House, Techno, Synth-pop

Tracklist
    A Round & Round (Club Mix) 7:09
    B1 Round & Round (Twelve Inch Mix) 6:46
    B2 Round & Round (Detroit Mix) 6:26

Total Time: 20:21

Here's one of the better mix, the club mix:

a lot more powerful than the album version.

later

Echoes Myron likes this.
  22. Hush

Hush "Fate, up against your will"

Round & Round is a cracking tune, really like it. Prefer the 7" edit to the 12", it seems to be a bit of a cut and paste job to be honest.

I do like Best & Marsh a lot, one of their best instrumental tracks in my opinion.

DTK and Echoes Myron like this.
  23. Fruff76

No, I’ve never seen that one but I’d like to find it!

Echoes Myron likes this.
  24. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

There is a cheap copy in the US on the link, and some in Europe.

I just came across mine randomly at an import music store that I used to frequent.

Here is another good mix of the song.

The Detroit mix:

later

c-eling likes this.
  25. Fruff76

I see, I’ll probably get that. Thanks!

negative1 likes this.