Joy Division/New Order Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Havoc, Mar 20, 2018.

1. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Thought the documentary was terrific! It wasn't a full-biographical doc./& no Peter Hook, as it's present time. It was about reinterpretations of songs & presented in an artful format w/a synthesizer orchestra premiered in Vienna & toured. So, there's a lot about putting the show together, visually & musically: The creative aspect. I happen to like that, so I was riveted & found it fascinating. It ran on Showtime just last week; perhaps, there may be more showings. I'd be purchasing in a heartbeat if they release as a full concert DVD w/the documentary as bonus material (not as yet; hopeful :angel:)....As Depeche Mode did w/Devotional DVD. (And, was able to get that tour on bootleg CD Enjoy The Rumours.)

[​IMG]

New Order - Ultraviolence (Live at MIF)

black sheriff, negative1 and c-eling like this.
  2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Think I prefer Hook's Ultraviolence...

black sheriff likes this.
  3. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

Sorry, the music is good, but the vocals are terrible, and ruin it for me.

later

4. c-eling

Decades of hearing Hook on vocals, I've become pretty immune... :laugh:

5. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

I think he sounded the best I've ever heard him this past October. I suspect it still wouldn't be @negative1 's cup of tea. :laugh:

c-eling likes this.
  6. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Hook's vocals are the weakest point of the current live show. I like his gigs, but it does feel like going out with a girl because she kinda looks like your ex-.

JeffMo, negative1 and NunoBento like this.
  7. Dave 81828384

Ah but there is the Joy Division set. Can't imagine New Order doing that. :)

negative1 and SteveCooks like this.
  8. shareefruck

shareefruck Forum Resident

A pair of unpopular opinions...

.. I actually prefer early Joy Division's brand of punk over what actually came to be known as punk, and it's always kind of bothered me that people aren't referring to that sound when they refer to a "punk sound". When people say punk, they usually mean rock music played rapidly, aggressively, and loosely-- screamy, shredd-y, hardcore music-- and that's never quite clicked with me. To me, punk should feel like raw, primal, pulsating minimalism that progressively drills into your gut, the way that bands like Warsaw, Neu!, The Stooges, and to a lesser extent, The Velvet Underground did it. In reality, I feel like the initial proto-punk sound was really cool and then only went downhill when it got transformed and branded into punk.

.. I also think Joy Division is way better than New Order. The music writing is strong in both cases, but I can't stand Sumner's vocal style and writing style sometimes, and for me, the music that Joy Division wrote during their brief stint legitimately competes with The Beatles' very best. Ceremony never being properly recorded while Curtis was alive is the biggest missed opportunity in all of music, as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    Echo and Echoes Myron like this.
  9. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

I can live with that. I don't want to see NO playing *any* JD songs. The first time I saw them was in Manchester in 1998, where they played Isolation and Heart & Soul for the first time. Whilst it was incredible to witness just for the sheer novelty of it , NO gigs quickly became a sense of some punters waiting for the Joy Division karaoke section where they could sing tunelessly to Love Will Tear Us Apart YEAH COME ON!!!!, which turned NO gigs into nostalgic beerfests. It also dramatically underplays the huge achievements that New Order did realise creatively and technologically by turning them into a tribute act to themselves. To me, Joy Division were always a historical entity, like The Doors, or Beethoven, that were dead before I started to really be alive. I don't want to see New Order playing Joy Division songs, and I saw the BBC show at Maida Vale in 2015 which I *think* is the only gig they've not played any Joy Division songs at since 1998. I did not miss the Joy Division songs at all.

I know Joy Division were great. But they're gone. I live in the here & now, not 40 years ago.

I saw the Peter Hook Unknown Pleasures/Closer doubleheader in Camden in 2017, and whilst it was good, it wasn't great, it felt very much like watching a tribute band with an original member. Like, I dunno, Joe Bloggs RATT performing their first album in full at the Dog & Duck in Beerhaven, Bumbleshoot. I've always been quite vocal - and I suspect was unpopular to some people in Camp Hooky - for the view that playing nothing but 30-40 year old albums in full in order forever and ever and ever was creatively bankrupt. I'd much rather hear new stuff. Time is running out and there will be a time that only the records remain. Hook has wasted the past 15 years being a tribute band to himself instead of creating a vital and interesting future. There's only so many times you can tour a celebration of Who You Used To Be before people stop caring.

thefxc likes this.
  10. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

Yeah. This sounded pretty amazing in the theatre.

11. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

Will be getting the Movement Deluxe set soon.

Waited until is was reduced down to $75 before getting it.

I've already heard all the tracks, but looking forward to the videos, and the book.

later

Sebastian saglimbenI, c-eling and SJP like this.
  12. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

And where did you find such a good price?

negative1 likes this.
  13. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

it's a beautiful set, that's a great price...I think I paid about $100...

negative1 likes this.
  14. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

There was a copy on Amazon for $80, and when I paid, the seller said they
    didn't have it anymore.

Then I went to Ebay, where prices were around $90 not including shipping.

Lastly, went to Discogs, and found the copy for sale, all the rest were $90 and up.

later

SJP likes this.
  15. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Thanks!

Not even certain $80 is worth it given the content but at least that is where it starts to get my attention. Still, I'll be complaining as they roll out the catalogue in this format and I go back to fill the Movement gap with none in sight for less than $200! I'll have no one to blame but myself.

16. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

17. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

It was stunning and brought the house down.

New Order material was a range of very good to mediocre, and without Pottsy vocals it would have been all the latter.

18. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Found it last weekend!!

19. Dave 81828384

I've seen 5 of the 6 tours since they started touring North America and, as I said above, this was the best Hooky has ever sounded. That being said, I too have often found myself thinking, "please let David Potts sing the next one". :laugh:

c-eling and Hush like this.
  20. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

Scenes from the 4 day residency in Miami:

songs played:
    (Thanks to gotblueyes from dry 201 forums):

Final Tally:

Joy Division
    Love Will Tear Us Apart (4)
    Decades (2)
    Transmission (2)
    Atmosphere (2)
    Disorder (2)
    Heart and Soul (1)
    She's Lost Control (1)

Movement
    Nothing!

Power, Corruption & Lies
    Age of Consent (3)
    Your Silent Face (3)
    Ultraviolence (1)

Low-Life
    Subculture (4)
    The Perfect Kiss (1)

Brotherhood
    Bizarre Love Triangle (4)
    All Day Long (1)

Substance 1987
    Blue Monday (4)
    Temptation (4)
    True Faith (4)
    Shellshock (1)
    Ceremony (1)

Technique
    Fine Time (2)
    Dream Attack (1)
    Vanishing Point (1)

Republic
    World (2)
    Regret (1)

Get Ready
    Turn My Way (1)

Waiting for the Sirens' Call
    Guilt Is a Useless Emotion (4)
    Who's Joe? (1)

Music Complete
    Plastic (4)
    Tutti Frutti (2)
    Academic (1)
    People on the High Line (1)
    Superheated (1)
    Restless (1)

Others
    Touched by the Hand of God (1)

later

DTK, JeffMo, c-eling and 1 other person like this.
  21. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

Still no date for the Power Corruption and Lies boxset,
    but maybe by the end of the 2nd half of the year:

[​IMG]

Just finished scanning the book from the first one, will post some highlights.

later

c-eling likes this.
  22. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

No, not new order, but The Other Two, re-issuing their albums
    with extra tracks:
    ===================
    thanks to neworderonline forums

The Other Two & You [FBN 330 CD] | The Other Two | Factory Benelux

[​IMG]

The 6 bonus tracks on the CD include clubby remixes by Pascal Gabriel, Moby and Farley & Heller. Cover art by Peter Saville and Howard Wakefield, including silver pantone cover. CD released under licence from Warner Music UK Ltd.

Also available from FBN mailorder is an optional 9 track bonus CD, The Other Disc, featuring the two versions of Swing released on a limited edition 12-inch single in 2011, along with six more versions including remixes by members of Factory Floor, and previously unreleased track Satisfied. The catalogue number for The Other Disc is FBN 127 CD.

CD tracklist:

1. Tasty Fish
    2. The Greatest Thing
    3. Selfish
    4. Movin' On
    5. Ninth Configuration
    6. Feel This Love
    7. Spirit Level
    8. Night Voice
    9. Innocence
    10. Loved It (The Other Track)
    11. Tasty Fish (Pascal 12" Mix)
    12. Selfish (That Pop Mix)
    13. The Greatest Thing (Pascal Mix)
    14. Movin' On (Moby Mix)
    15. Tasty Fish (Almond Slice Mix)
    16. Selfish (Junior Style Mix)

Available on CD only

Super Highways [FBN 390 CD] | The Other Two | Factory Benelux

[​IMG]

Super Highways, the second O2 album, followed in 1999. Produced by Stephen and Gillian with Tim Oliver, vocals are shared by Gillian and Melanie Williams, best known for her guest vocal on hit single Ain't No Use by Sub Sub. The title track was also issued as a single, augmented with remixes by Andy Votel and Cevin Fisher.

The 3 bonus tracks on the CD include the Fisher and Votel mixes, as well as a clubby K-Klass remix of Tasty Fish from the debut album. Cover art by Peter Saville and Howard Wakefield. CD released under licence from Warner Music UK Ltd.

Also available from FBN mailorder is an optional 9 track bonus CD, The Other Disc, featuring the two versions of Swing released on a limited edition 12-inch single in 2011, along with six more versions including remixes by members of Factory Floor, and previously unreleased track Satisfied. The catalogue number for The Other Disc is FBN 127 CD.

CD tracklist:

1. You Can Fly
    2. Super Highways
    3. The River
    4. One Last Kiss
    5. Voytek
    6. Unwanted
    7. New Horizons
    8. Cold Feet
    9. The Grave
    10. Hello
    11. Ripple
    12. Weird Woman
    13. Super Highways (Votel Mix)
    14. You Can Fly (Cevin Fisher Mix)
    15. Tasty Fish (K-Klass Mix)

Available on CD only
    ===========================
    The other disc is a bonus disc you can add to your order for the other albums:

The Other Disc [FBN 127 CD] | The Other Two | Factory Benelux

[​IMG]

The Other Two \ The Other Disc [FBN 127 CD]
    Factory Benelux presents a bonus 9 track CD by The Other Two, the duo comprising Stephen Morris and Gillian Gilbert of New Order, with cover art by Howard Wakefield.

The Other Disc features the two versions of 02's hard electronics track Swing, released on a limited edition 12-inch single in 2011 to accompany an exhibition by Peter Saville and Anna Blessman. To this are added six more versions of Swing including remixes by members of acclaimed post-industrial group Factory Floor, as well as a previously unreleased 02 track called Satisfied.

The Other Disc is available only as an optional extra with mailorder copies of The Other Two and You (FBN 330 CD) or Super Highways (FBN 390 CD).

CD tracklist:

1. Swing Outside
    2. Swing Inside
    3. Swing Robot
    4. FF Dom Remix
    5. Swing Low
    6. FF Gabe Remix
    7. Swing Inside *2
    8. FF Nik Remix
    9. Satisfied

Available on CD only.

later

23. c-eling

Re-issuing the old deluxe's again? Lame. Wish they would of gave something new, demo's and alt versions from the old cassette promo.
    Hmm, Satisfied I have on the old 12 inch of Innocence.
    Sucks you have to buy one to even get the option for the bonus disc.

24. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

These look like repressings on Factory Benelux of the versions of O2+You / SuperHighways that were reissued on LTM in 2009 and have now sold out. The LTM reissues in 2009 came with a CDR of eight unreleased/rare tracks which included a number of songs/versions that were available on the long-lost Other Two MySpace page. These tracks differ from the Swing 12" / CD package.

Tracks on the 2009 extra CDR were :

1. Autosound
    2. Moving On (Pascal Gabriel Mix)
    3. Tasty Fish (OT Mix)
    4. Sawdust
    5. Selfish (East Village Vocal)
    6. Selfish (East Village Dub)
    7. You Can Fly (Quake Vocal Mix)
    8. Innocence (Love To Infinity Mix)

1,2, and 4 were unreleased and were the 'original' versions intended for the original 1992 release of The Other Two And You that were remixed/re-recorded for the 1993 London Records release.

"Satisfied" was not on this reissue as Gillian didn't like the finished mix. Shame, it's a great song.

New Order side project "The Other Two" reissues

c-eling and negative1 like this.
  25. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

Agreed, they must have trouble getting rights to all the other mixes and tracks.
    The bonus disc would have been nice to get on its own for people that already have it.

Or just buy one of the other discs, and resell or gift it to someone.

later

c-eling likes this.